Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foyota Capri GT-S OR.. Datota 510 GTS????

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Question Foyota Capri GT-S OR.. Datota 510 GTS????

First post in this section.... I'm about to buy this........ \/

1972 V6 race car with many spares. No expense was spared in preparing this car for SCCA's ITA race class including spherical bearings, pro-built V6 which puts out close to 170hp. The car weighs a little over 2100 lbs so it is very fast.

-front adjustable Koni yellow struts, coil over suspension
    -spherical bearings throught the suspension
    -15 gallon fuelsafe fuel cell
    -dual egt
    -spare wheel package
    -lightweight Sparco racing seat
    -custom camber plates
    -5 core radiator
    -xtra motor parts, block,pistons,etc.
    -xtra transmissions
    -dearched rear springs - roll steer eliminated
    -ZF-limited slip with 3.89 rear gears
    Biggest advantage to this chassis....... no emissions requirements... so I never need to get it sniffed again

Many of you know about my blueprinted 4AGE and some know about the AZ6 swap. My initial intentions with the above car is to enjoy it for a year as the rip snort'en ground pounder it is... and then... after participating in a local vintage event, I thought I'd look at putting my 4AG in it.

The 4AG is closer in mass to the Euro 1.6 Kent engine... so I will need to soften the front springs to compensate. The hp potnetial is there with the 4AGE, unfortunately the torque is less in a 4AGE(assumption here....)... but is it less than a Kent 1.6?

I was also hoping to find a set of the olde euro box flairs that Ford put on the car when they spanked BMW with the Capri back in the early 70s.

So... any ideas???? recomendations? brainfarts???
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 17-10-2008 at 03:12 AM.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: Foyota Capri GT-S ?????

Where do you want me to start mate!
    This is right up my alley
    4a in a oldskool ford mabe even turbo.
    Its what god wanted but ford never did.

The motor will fit no worries.Mounts are piss easy to fab. A w57 will fit the tunnel fairly easy ( need a custom x member) and the rest would be a walk in the park for you.

The light chassis and the rev happy 4a with a turbo for torque will be a winner.

Shit ........if you really want to get it together fast and use the t50 to get it going . I have a gearbox x member here for one. All you need then is a tail shaft and engine mounts.
    I could prob even scrounge these up to.
    Last edited by 30psi 4agte; 17-10-2008 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Where do you want me to start mate!
    This is right up my alley
    4a in a oldskool ford mabe even turbo.
    Its what god wanted but ford never did.

The motor will fit no worries.Mounts are piss easy to fab. A w57 will fit the tunnel fairly easy ( need a custom x member) and the rest would be a walk in the park for you.

The light chassis and the rev happy 4a with a turbo for torque will be a winner.
    This would be my 4th! all V6s... the other cars were just dailys(back 20 years ago!!!) One fun day I used one V6 Capri to tow another V6 Capri... I was honked at many times that day......

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Shit ........if you really want to get it together fast and use the t50 to get it going . I have a gearbox x member here for one. All you need then is a tail shaft and engine mounts.
    I could prob even scrounge these up to.
    Since I want to "compete" in one vintage event in my life.... I'll leave the torquy V6 in there till after the event and then move on... but I may just hit you up for those parts.........(I know where to find ya.... AND you could try to dig and find the stuff... so when I do decide... I can ask my mate... send him a few dollars and make it a semi bolt in!

I'll have more photos by the end of this weekend....

doble posted see above
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 17-10-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: dble posted

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

turn it into another "perana" copy?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

leave the V6 in it!!!
    well, you dont have too... i just miss my capri!
    my first car was a 1970 3 litre GT. no i dont know how im still alive....

modern perana.... 4.6 DOHC? prob wont fit... but woul dbe cool

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

950kg, a 4ag should suit something like that pretty well.

Any idea on what the resale value is like for the old driveline?

its light enough to use a 4a, and we all know you can get good power for them.
    missing a bit of torque....rev it more

capri's are tough as. There is one down here with a hot 351 running 10's, its awsome.
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Default Re: Foyota Capri GT-S OR.. Datota 510 GTS????

F......................

why can't people tell you when there is an interested party before you???????? The Capri is no longer available...

Besides the Capri(which I've owned...) what about a Datsun PL510... yes... the original Datsun 510 coupe(69-73... - I believe.....) There are a few more of those... and their suspensions aren't quite as anitquated as the Capri.........

the original "L" engines are heavy and underpowered, and although they can be tuned to make pretty good power, they CAN'T do it efficently... or emissions friendly....

Has anyone here seen, or know of a 510 running a 4AGE??????????

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

L28 fit?
    3SGTE?
    2ZZGZE?

510's benefit is light and nimble and big engine won't help much..
    4AG would be ok, but you are still probably down on torque from a sorted L20
    you could go CA/SR also and keep it in the family?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    L28 fit?
    3SGTE?

510's benefit is light and nimble and big engine won't help much..
    uhhhhhhhh?????????????? those are HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    4AG would be ok, but you are still probably down on torque from a sorted L20
    you could go CA/SR also and keep it in the family?
    Why I'm thinking of the 510... similar handling(likely better) than an AE86... Also with the tweaked engine... the pre - 1975 chassis means no sniffer tests....

Yes an SR or a CA would remain in the Nissan family... but they do weigh more... My aim is to keep the 510s nimbleness... especially since I love the 86s nimbleness.....
    An "L" engine is very inefficient, and can't match the power output AND the emissions and mileage the 4AG will get.

I like my 86... I just don't want to cut it up(harnesses) to put this engine in, so I was looking for a pre 75 chassis that had similar, or better handling then an 86 while remaining similar in overall mass.

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

There is a obvious engine to put into this. zetec/duratec V6 from a mondeo/probe etc
    Alloy block V6. can be mated to a Sierra T9 box so your sweet as. even can get bellhousings to a W series.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I loved my 510 that I had while I was at Uni but I'd say you need a rack and pinion conversion and some serious rear geometry sorting before it would be as pleasant to drive as an AE86.

It's roughly 69 billion times cooler than an AE86 though so that something I guess . Plus people won't assume yo're a pretensious wanna be drifter wanker like happens all too often to 86 owners.

I'd put the motor in a KE10 or KE15 though if I were you. Or better yet since you guys got them over there a TE27.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshstix
    I loved my 510 that I had while I was at Uni but I'd say you need a rack and pinion conversion and some serious rear geometry sorting before it would be as pleasant to drive as an AE86.

It's roughly 69 billion times cooler than an AE86 though so that something I guess . Plus people won't assume yo're a pretensious wanna be drifter wanker like happens all too often to 86 owners.

I'd put the motor in a KE10 or KE15 though if I were you. Or better yet since you guys got them over there a TE27.

The KE1x, TE2x, cars are just too small for me(6', 250#s, 50" shoulders) The 86 is ok... and I assume the 510 is about the same interior room as an 86 coupe

The car I'm looking at........

http://zilvia.net/f/cars-sale/214338...-510-sale.html - yes I know this is already powered(KA).... but thats fine... I can finish my engine assembly... get it broken in on a dyno... and then look to transplant it. Hopefully with a 6 speed from a Miata behind the 4AG........ All in an updated 510.... At least thats the working premise right now.......
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 23-10-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

i think you'll find the nissan motor more fun than the 4age - it (the 4age) wont have the torque of the datto motor and that's what makes these car so much fun
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge