Thread: RA28 - Removing rear window seal and reusing?

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Default RA28 - Removing rear window seal and reusing?

Hi all,

Is there a way to remove the rear window from the hatch, and keep the seal intact?

The seal is in good condition and is a genuine toyota item... so i would prefer not having to buy another one.

Thanks.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: RA28 - Removing rear window seal and reusing?

do you have spare glass just in case?

usually it is one or the other.. cut the seal and save glass, or break glass and save seal.

you can get buddies to sit in back and put pressure on glass with their feet 8two ppl better to give more even pressure), while you try and peel back and manipulate the lip of the seal..

it is not an easy or fun process, and less fun when the window breaks....

edit: it wasn't silicon sealed in was it? in that case you have to cut the silicon first.. thin metal wire threaded thru and pulled around the edge of the glass can work.. eventually... careful of the fingers
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Mark, run an old extension cord along the seal inside the hatch (between the seal and the hatch) it will usually stay in place. This gives the seal clearance for you to push the glass out, spraying lubricant such as silicone around the seal will help it push out better also. As decribed above (sit in the back and push glass out with feet). If the hatch is off the car, we tend to turn the hatch upside down on something soft, like grass and apply pressure downwards on the glass while carefully pulling back on the hatch. If is the original factory glass it should have a fair bit of flex before it breaks (you still need to be careful to push evenly though). If you need a hand, let me know, we have done a few of them.
    Last edited by swan86; 01-06-2008 at 01:27 PM.
    FT86 - still under warranty - cant modify it
    2 RA28's, 18RGEU - dead - went bang, 1JZGTE
    1 RA35GT 18RGEU,
    1 AE86 4AGEU
    1 RA65 2JZGTE

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic maurice c's Avatar

Phil celica28 has a couple of sets of rear window seals for sale for the 28, if you run into trouble.
    Getting your missus to help bleed the brakes isn't everybody's idea of quality time.

ra28 Grease Monkey

if ya break the rear glass ya must be being pretty rough, i do it for a living and it takes only around 2mins to remove it wit out breaking the glass and saving the rubber aslong as its not corroded to buggery.
    wat you need is a hook tool, or a bent phillips head screwdriver wit the end ground off so its smooth. or anythin thats got the end bent at a 90 degreee angle from about 3cm from the end, it needs a bit of a dull point on the end.
    put the point between the seal and the hatch and pull the seal gently away from the hatch slightly and drag it all round the top half of the seal going down half way down the sides too, this will sorta loosen the seal a little, then close the hatch wit you still in the rear of the car and as the guy above said, push on it wit your feet while also using the tool to pull the rubber away from the hatch, its best to start on the top corner,getting the corner started 5cm down the side and along the top, keeping pressure on the window, keep pulling the rubber from the hatch wit the tool working from the corner along the top untill you get the top all off, then go down the opposite side from where you started till half way down it, then go back to the side from where you started an do the sam but go right to the bottom, then go back to the other side till your at the bottom and the window should just pull out from the botom.

OR

you could just goto a window tinting place and they will kick it out for you and should only charge a few $$

if you have any questions pls call me on 0400821458

its pretty hard to describe how to do it properly in text, if i got time and ppl wanted, i could try to get pics up step by sted of how to remove and install the glass witout harming the rubber or the glass.

krem
    ke20 being restored and soon up for sale