Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3SGTE Rwd Starter motor

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question 3SGTE Rwd Starter motor

Hey all

Ok heres the deal, i have a 3sgte in my Ae86 (bought the car like this) anyways the start motor contacts have gone, and ever since i have i had it the starter, sometimes it ground against the ring gear (doesnt line up exactly) Well i was told when i bought it that it wasnt the right starter,so i decided to get the right one now.

I guessed that they have used a ST141 (2s/1s) corona bellhousing and i have heard of ppl using that starter, so i went and got one, the bolt holes line up and it fits in the bell housing but the shaft of the starter hits on the flywheel (only by a few mm), i have no idea what flywheel is on the vehicle but i was just wondering what starters ppl have used in their 3sgte rwd conversions, right now it looks like its bodgey modified st185 starter.

Any help would be great

Cheers
    Rick

Default Re: 3SGTE Rwd Starter motor

it seems you will need to space the starter back a little to mesh nicely
    SA63-3SGTE coupe driftpig

Quote Originally Posted by rokusan
    it seems you will need to space the starter back a little to mesh nicely

the original start was already spaced back about 3mm...
    looked at it agian today... no way this st141 corona starter will fit...

what starter are you running??

Bogan Hunter Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by SE86
    Hey all

Ok heres the deal, i have a 3sgte in my Ae86 (bought the car like this) anyways the start motor contacts have gone, and ever since i have i had it the starter, sometimes it ground against the ring gear (doesnt line up exactly) Well i was told when i bought it that it wasnt the right starter,so i decided to get the right one now.

I guessed that they have used a ST141 (2s/1s) corona bellhousing and i have heard of ppl using that starter, so i went and got one, the bolt holes line up and it fits in the bell housing but the shaft of the starter hits on the flywheel (only by a few mm), i have no idea what flywheel is on the vehicle but i was just wondering what starters ppl have used in their 3sgte rwd conversions, right now it looks like its bodgey modified st185 starter.

Any help would be great

Cheers
    Rick
    Hi Rick,
    I actually know your car quite well as I was reasonably good mates with the Yank you bought it from. Anyway....

My starter is on the drivers side of the car and I was having similar issues. Maybe 1 or 2 cranks out of 10, you would get that horrible metal on metal grinding sound. What I was finding was the starter was spaced too far AWAY from the flywheel. This was meaning the starter motor gear was up to speed BEFORE it engaged in the flywheel, and was spinning too quickly to slip into the flywheels ring gear and engage correctly.

The original thought I has was it was not lined up correctly. But after taking shitloads of measurements, this wasn't the case.

Also something worth noting....
    A lot of guys who have done RWD 3S swaps, overlook the 'ring gear mod'.
    A flywheels ring gear has a front and a back. Because a FWD 3S has the starter on the gearbox side of the flywheel, when converting it to RWD, it assists starting if you pop the ring gear off the flywheel and press it back on the other way. Just like a regular FWD flywheel.

Of course, this only applies if you are using a 3SGTE flywheel, or any another FWD flywheel for that matter.

I know for a fact your car is using a 3SGTE flywheel.

Anyway, i'm in Perth too mate, and have a few starters that will get you out of the woods if you need one desperately....

Gabe

hey Gabes

thanks for the heads up, your pobably right about the flywheel and i never really thought about the ring gear being the wronge way around... makes sense really. i am yet to turn the motor over and check what condition the ring gear is in... i was starting to think that the ring gear was worn in one spot and when the motor stops in that spot in grinds.. i think i am going to just throw some contacts in the orignal one for now (need the car running for the weekend) and sort it out later.. planning on pulling the motor out and redoing alot of the conversion anyways..

i remember seeing the post about your car ages ago.. i guess its running now?? is that Thread still viewable?? can you still get those sumps made up that you have on your car?? they looked really designed?? any more help would be great

Cheers
    Rick

Junior Member Grease Monkey Raceflo's Avatar

Hey Rick

As Gabe has said already, yes the car is running the factory flywheel, and yes the ring gear has been turned around so the shamfer is facing the right way.

The Starter used was an SV21 camry starter, and it was definatly able to be aligned correctly as it was set up, as it did not once grind when it was in the car, we had 1 grind when the engine was on the engine dyno but after that it was fine.

This is the same starter we are using in the new car and same story, but with the new one we made up a locator, that allows the starter to locate in the perfect position every time, it is worth the time, especially if you are removing engines/gearboxes as often as we have been.

Great to hear the car is still going, would love to hear some more about it, send me an email.

Also Gabe long time no hear, how is your car going, would also be great to catch up, we have learnt a huge amount on the little journey we have been on with the car, might have some little tips that will save you some issues.
    Cheers
    Jon

Always look on the bright side of life

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

I used a Y series starter motor and bellhousing which put it all on the inlet side.

I had to space the starter back 10mm and rotate it to clear the steering column but never had any problems with it since.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Hey alll

Thanks for all the replys,

I dont no if they have changed it but it defently did have a ST141 starter in it, as i got another one and its exactly the same, and whoever installed it had drilled another hole in the starter housing to get it to line up properly, and thats why the whole housing cracked, i always thought the sv21 starters came from the other side?? but may be wronge, you wouldnt have any pics of the starter and the locating plate??

i am guessing Gabe is using the Yseries bellhousing aswell?? is there much modification to get it to fit up?? i am very keen to have the starter on the drivers side away from the exhaust, is there any particular model to look out for sourcing a bellhousing and starter??
    You wouldnt have any pics you could email me of this setup??

as for the rest of the car... i have the motor out and i pretty much planing to do the most of the conversion again, eg, engine mounts, wiring, and fix alot of stuff that needs to be done, so any other info would be a great help

again thanks for the replys

Cheers
    Rick

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

YM35 liteace would be your target, features the 1.8 litre 4Y engine, what you need

i know, i had one

Eldar.O.

Yeah I got a bellhousing & starter from a 3Y Tarago.

I had to elongate 1 hole, and wasn't much meat left after that so had it built up with weld to strengthen it a bit.

Also had to space the starter back and rotate as mentioned before.. But I have a custom flywheel so it may be different for you. I'll try to dig up some pics.
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

It's 4 years since the last post (almost to the day), but I've just had a worrying thought about my setup...

I'm using a Y Series Bellhousing, and I've been trying to set it up with a 3S-GE Starter Motor.

Now, this starter is designed to run off the side of the gearbox (exhaust side) and I'm running it off the side of the block (inlet side).

Is it going to try and start the motor the wrong direction?
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

teq Grease Monkey

Nope.

Unless your trying to fit one designed to come from the transmission side, instead of the engine side. As long as it came from the 'engine' side it should be fine.

Andrew

I think he has said its now changed from gearbox side to block side? So yes, it will spin the wrong way.
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

i'm pretty sure it'll still spin the same way no matter which side its on? you'll have to get your spacing and engagements right though.

if its designed to go behind the fly wheel, theres a problem, but wont the fwd type starters have the finer engagement to match the large fwd flywheel?

what flywheel are you using?
    Last edited by rokusan; 19-05-2010 at 05:23 AM.
    SA63-3SGTE coupe driftpig

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

I'm using an OS Giken Flywheel, it's designed for FWD and doesn't have a reversible ring gear.

Now that I've slept, the starter will spin the opposite way to a RWD (block mounted) starter motor, so I will need to get another one. (Shame, as I just bought this one on the weekend to replace the original one I had sitting around that broke, and I've already modified this one to take a stud and nut rather than a bolt.)

I have an 18R one here that I can use, but I remember Linden telling me to get a reduction starter (which I believe the 18R one isn't) for the setup, so are the ST141 and YM35 ones reduction starters?
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...