Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Default Re: Sam's MA61 7MGTE Conversion

Well i think i've found the problem, its my dodgy intake track leaking. Jacked the car up today and found one of my hoses had half come off so i've bodge fixed that and the front RH wheel has worn away some of the piping in the wheel well cuasing another leak. So when i get my bodgy intake track fixed, my idle issues should be gone! Woohoo!

Oh and Chris, the turbo is fine, no play whatsoever. That whistling noise was coming from where the 2 pipes had half disconnected themselves. When boost was flying past that joint is was creating a whistling noise. Much how a whistle works if you can imagine that.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

*PHEW*

That is awesome news sam! very releived! and who woulda thought the 7m can also become a giant big flute

Don't spose you had a chance to recheck the headbolt torque? just safe insurance to make sure none have loosened. When i first got it i found two headbolts on the intake side were loose! good thing i got to them ASAP and never had an issue afterwards. (i checked them every 6 months afterwards and they never loosened, oh and i did them all up to 68ft-pounds)
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

No, i havnt checked the headbolt torque. Suppose thats another thing on my To Do List. Oh and another thing! I have a WORKING TACHO!!!! Wooohhooo!!!! Heh, and she idles at 2000rpm aswell.... yay....
    In the end i just went through all the black wires from the engine harness, splicing into each one, one by one. 4th try and i hit jackpot baby! Turned out to be M1 pin 22.

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

2k is just a tad high....

Garage Queen Automotive Encyclopaedia ZZT231's Avatar

Yeah... Too me it sounds too high... Yian's 7M doesn't idle that high (from memory)... Sounds like there is something wrong. With my motor (not a 7M), mine idled too high (2200rpm) and it splatted and burpped till we took out the ISCV and manually closed the valve which brought my car to standard idle (500-700rpm) but it doens't step up the idle at all when cold...

Cheers.

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

I'm not sure if he means it's idling at 2000rpm or thats what his tacho is saying because he isnt running a converter...

Nearly time for you to change your forum name there Sam, Positive Boost FTW!!
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

the 1jz would idle at 2000rpm aswell, and i would cringe! the 7m idled buetifally always perfect in comparison.

with the 1j a boost guage revealed my high idle issue. i could see what my vacuum was, it was about -10psi, should be around -20psi (probably another unit of measurment for that). Was the vac hose to the charcoal cannister. Something to check out anyway.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Today Im a Domestic Engineer Enchanter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by urantia
    the 1jz would idle at 2000rpm aswell, and i would cringe! the 7m idled buetifally always perfect in comparison.

with the 1j a boost guage revealed my high idle issue. i could see what my vacuum was, it was about -10psi, should be around -20psi (probably another unit of measurment for that). Was the vac hose to the charcoal cannister. Something to check out anyway.
    Yeah its measured in Hg, the 5me idles at 18 until its warm and then up to 20. I've installed a vac guage to help diagnose problems for the 2jz swap

Naa, its idling at 2000rpm. I've just got the tach booster running yesterday. One of sideshows, so its top notch.
    Chris, the boost gauge is reading 18Hg which seems right to me. Can anyone confirm/dispell that? And what do you mean, was the vaccum hose connected to the charcoal canister? Like should it be connected to the charcoal canister or shouldnt it be? Can't remember off the top of my head how its hooked up.
    The car's down at the muffler shop at the moment, getting a 3inch dump so i wont be able to work on it today

Positive Boost? And loose all my rep points! Nevah!

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

Well done Sam, looking great. Maybe I'll see it in person this weeked , could even do a photoshoot.

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

20mmhg vacuum at idle.

1600rpm right when started and drops off to 1400 after about 30 seconds. Stays there for about 5 mins then drops to 1000. After a min or 2, 900.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    Well done Sam, looking great. Maybe I'll see it in person this weeked , could even do a photoshoot.
    Well, give us a buzz when your available. Most likely be picking up my car from the exhaust shop tommorrow around midday. Not too keen on driving it much though at the moment, i have to fix a few little things and i havnt even put mounted the ECU yet, its still just hanging there.

Thanks for that info Yian. Top notch. I reckon the main cause of my idle issues is my dodgy IC piping. But to fix that i have to move my oil filter becuase its in the way. Might be mounting it directly behind the strut, we'll see. Then i'll probably be getting the whole lot done professionally in steel. If that dosnt work, im ripping off my ISCV and blocking it off completely. If that solves my issues, it looks like its a new ISCV for me.

Ah well its probably not that then(not your vac hose routing). Charcoal canister should have a 1 way valve to stop boost going out thru the charcoal cannister. Mine was hooked up without this aswell as in the wrong place on the plenum, and so i was sucking in extra air increasing idle, and on boost loosing abit of pressure blowing it out thru the charcoal cannister.

the 7m would start at 1600rpm and work its way down to 650rpm which is exactly where it should be according to the TSRM.

What happens with the idle when you reset the ECU?
    Last edited by urantia; 29-09-2006 at 04:46 PM.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Ah, i did wonder where that 1 way valve came from. Not too sure where i put it when i cleaned up the mess left behind after the conversion. So which way around do i put this valve in? So the charcoal canister dosnt get pressurised or so i'm not drawing air in when idling? Cuss you cant do both of those at the same time.

Havnt reset the ECU yet. Will try that.

Not in the diner Alf! Conversion King RyleyMA61's Avatar

lookin nice man, you keeping that blue colour?