Thread: 1GGTE conversion into a RA28 Celica... 1ggte engine mounts?

ground up rebuild... 1st year Apprentice MIN728's Avatar

Unhappy 1GGTE conversion into a RA28 Celica... 1ggte engine mounts?

Ok so, i have researched and researched and now gone and removed the 1ggte motor from my recently purchased half cut .. wheeled it over to the celica ra28.. grabbed my supposed non turbo engine mounts and discovered they look exactly the same as the standard turbo engine mounts off my motor .. i ordered these through a jap importer who got them in and i hadnt actually got my half cut yet so i didnt know if these where the right ones or not.. today i went to test fit the motor and it didnt even come close to lining up to the factory ra28 engine mount positions.. does anyone have any photos of a non turbo engine mount for a 1gge? that i can have a glance and see how they line up differently??? really need some info.. once the motor is test fitted and all intercooler pipes are done and mounted then i can send it away for paint!!! im so painstakingly close to finishing this project!!!!
    any pics from anyone who has info or even a run down from someone who has done this conversion??? i know you can cut the celica engine mount locations and re weld them etc to make this all work but a few people who have done this conversion mentioned you just needed non turbo 1gge engine mounts and then it would bolt in..? i included some pics of the motor sitting in the engine bay via a hoist.. cheers dan

Last edited by MIN728; 19-05-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added pictures...

77 RA28+1GGTE = Oldskool thats way cool
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38197

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGTE conversion into a RA28 Celica... 1ggte engine mounts?

Yeah sounds like they supplied you with 1ggte mounts.

You do indeed need the steel pressed mounts and they look like this

http://lameda.homelinux.org/photos/C...sidemounts.jpg

They'll bolt to the front position and to your rubber mounts and crossmember.

It took me a while to find mine. If I was you I would just reweld mounts on your crossmember. The motor will sit lower and in the correct position plus if you can do it yourself you'll save money and time rather than hunting for the correct mounts.

stidnam

Question Re: 1GGTE conversion into a RA28 Celica... 1ggte engine mounts?

so they bolt to the motor???? to the mid engine bracket position? or do these bolt to the celica cross member and you move the supplied twin turbo engine mounts forward to line up with these? sorry.. i though i had all the info but its proving to be difficult.. and as for finding these brackets.. they are standard on a 1GGE block? also if this is the case and i just need the 1gge engine brackets off the block to go onto my 1ggte? the rubbers inbetween are designed with one big bolt sticking out either end which my celica crossmember engine mount locations dont have a middle bolt hole or an easy access to use a spanner if drilled in the middle... so i guess im still working it all out... so all i gotta do is find a not turbo 1g.. sounds easy.. (wets himself laughing) its going to take a while huh? cheers stidman im getting there.. lol.. thanks for being patient...
    Last edited by MIN728; 21-05-2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: add info

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Hang on, you weren't aware of that fact that with the GE brackets that this is basically a bolt in conversion? (other than modifying the gearbox crossmember)

I thought you said you researched and researched?

You obviously haven't read the 1G-GTE into RA2# Celica Installation Guide then...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

yeah twenty eight, i was aware, i just hadnt seen 1gge engine mounts in person, except for the ones i purchased.. its all good.. got it all sorted now.. already made my bracket extensions for the gearbox and cut the shifter hole back 2" so im all good to go just gotta hunt down some 1gge egine mount brackets! cheers for your help guys much appreciated.. hopefully soon i will be heading to a celica cruise.. been a long time since my last one!

p.s. cheers twenty eight.. all the conversion walkthroughs i had found werent directly for a 1ggte into a ra23 or ra28!!! most of them where for a 1gge upgrade (which already has the correct brackets) and for a 1ggte into a ra40 walkthrough i had... didnt have any pics of the engine mounts just mentioned you needed 1gge mounts.. so cheers the walkthrough you listed is BANG on the money!

Cheers Dan