Thread: TA22 Diff conversion

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Default TA22 Diff conversion

Hi All,

I'm looking at upgrading the rear end in my 22. It's getting an 18rg in the next couple of months and want to upgrade brakes and diff to take the power and my style of driving. In my RA23 i had a few years ago i smashed the diff in it pretty easily so i want something stronger before i get the chance to break it - so ideally not a T series!!! I'm going to do the corona/pug/hilux front upgrade so the front is sorted. Seeing as though i'm doing the diff i may aswell do the brakes so that way it's done!! Would like to get disk brakes.

I've done the wreckers run yesterday and found a couple of talked about options.

ST141 disk to disk $110 - solid axle - There was also IRS but didn't get prices.
    RN27 drum to drum $350
    R31 skyline $220
    I do already have a spare RN46 drum to drum from my Hilux when i bought it.

From what i can gather the skyline doesn't need to be shortened to fit but does need a higher offset wheel with massaged guards, but shortening can be done as the diff is off centre. Has anyone actually done an ST141 or RT142 complete swap?? I keep seeing that people put the disks onto the RN27 but never really a mention of a complete swap and can't find much on actually putting the disks onto the RN2x setup - help? The solid axle ST141/RT142 is the borg warner style same as the skyline R31. Are these going to take more of a beating than a t series? What lsd's are available? I do also remember somewhere that you can fit a VL commonwhere diff into the R31 (depending on if you get the 25 or 28 spline.....)

I'm tending to sway away from the hilux diff as the cost is a fair bit, by the time you make the initial purchase, then buy and fit the disks and make it back to 4 stud plus the extra 30kgs or whatever it works out to be. I've got a mate that did a hilux diff conversion and he commented that it did indeed slow his car down just cos of the weight in the diff!!!!

I don't mind have to cut the diff down if need be.

Also, there's alot of talk about using the f series diff from the torago. Is there any other cars that share the solid axle f series diff with 4 stud disk brakes as i don't think i saw any yesterday in my hunt.

I would like to note that yes i have researched but alot of the threads tend to just get abondoned and finish with no real conclusion.

Many thanks

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 Diff conversion

Roady the "F" series Tarago live axle assembly is too wide. The "E" in the Tarago is about right, but being an "E" is not so tough as the "F".

I am afraid most anything you find will require bracket mods at minimum. The 2 door MKII Corona's have an "F", which is a pretty good fit in 23's and 28's. Will require 50+ or more offset wheels to be usable in a TA22.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I don't think you'll break a t series (most common standard diff) with an 18rg. Concentrate on upgrading the front brakes first, do the xt130/ra60/mx62 strut/disc/caliper upgrade and then worry about the rear brakes.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by af300e
    I don't think you'll break a t series (most common standard diff) with an 18rg. Concentrate on upgrading the front brakes first, do the xt130/ra60/mx62 strut/disc/caliper upgrade and then worry about the rear brakes.
    Really have to agree with that. The "T" is ok as long as you have some mechanical sympathy. Hard launches and stupid driving will however see the "T" relegated to the scrap pile.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Quote Originally Posted by af300e
    Hi,

hate to break it to ya, but i've smashed the living crap out of a t series behind my old 18rg. It was only 30" oversize, 8.7 comp with webers. This is why i want to do the upgrade now before the 18rg goes in so i don't have to baby it around all the time in fear of smashing it. I am gathering parts already for the front brake upgrade so that too will definately be getting done. The 18rg was rebuilt at christmas and put into my hilux 4x4 so i already have an engine good to go. The sooner i can get everything done to the celica, the sooner i can swap the engine in the hilux and sell it off.

In regards to the 2 door markII corona, did this have disk brakes on it or drums?? As mentioned earlier i'm not too worried if i have to shorten it to fit, as long as it is strong and ideally has disk brakes. The mounts shouldn't be too difficult to weld to it.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Well, the t-series obviously doesn't suit you're "style" of driving. The F series will need a heap of fabrication, not hard, but not easy either. The mx13 mkII has drum rear but big drums. Much bigger than the stock ta22 drums. If you want an F series with discs, then go for the ms112 crown diff. You'll def need to shorten it because they are something like 1450mm wide and you need something like 1380mm. You need to pull an axle, work out how much you want to shorten the housing by and then make sure there is enough meat on the axle to have a new spline machined onto it at its new shorter length.
    Oh, and even an mx13 diff is 1425mm wide.
    Last edited by af300e; 18-05-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey 4SFED's Avatar

I have a hilux diff that will bolt straight into a TA22 up for sale if your still interested in a diff upgrade.....
    4SFED Celica
    13B Turbo
    www.4sfed.com.au

Hi,

how much and what diff centre is in it. Discs or drums? 4 or 5 stud?

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

it's no good rubbishing the t diff because you broke one in the past (or more than one? dunno you didn't say) which may have been 30yrs old and worn out/abused. i, on the other hand have had no problem with any of my previous cars with t diff

ie.
    ta22 18rg stock
    ta22 2t-g 1750cc 288/288

let's face it, naturally aspirated no 2000cc engine is going to be a huge torque monster

when your last one broke, what specifically broke?
    i pulled three hundred rocks from the land to build my house
    i walked quiet through the forest like a tiny quiet forest mouse

the oceans will rise
    please stand by the shore

Hi,

crown wheel broke about 4 teeth off big time. Might be worth noting too that the 18rg only came out with the f series diff behind it. I've recently picked up an mx23 diff which will be getting the disc brake conversion so we'll see how it all goes. Got a few things going on with the car atm so it's all a slow process but it is slowly moving along.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member Grease Monkey 4SFED's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    Hi,

how much and what diff centre is in it. Discs or drums? 4 or 5 stud?

bEn
    Hi mate - full details here http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=758540

Its got a locked 4.1 or 4.3 center (have to double check the ratio) with drums and the standard TA22 4 stud pattern.
    4SFED Celica
    13B Turbo
    www.4sfed.com.au

Hi,

interesting but i think i'll pass for the moment. I've just got the mx23 diff so we'll see what it's all like when i pull it apart and clean it up. Thanks again though.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown