Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5k to Spend

Junior Member Carport Converter GT4Junkie's Avatar

Default 5k to Spend

ok Guys and Galls,
    Ive got 5k to spend , need to get the most outta the GT4 with what ive got for now.
    Any suggestions?
    So far im going to get an Exhaust 1k
    Intercooler (Not after one to expensive) So im guessing around $600 installed
    Then i wanna highflow my turbo, ive got a 90model GT4 so im pretty sure its a CT26, cant remember exactly. How much roughly does this cost??
    Im guessing this would roughly cost around $2200 - 2500 so far.
    Ive got a bodykit i wanna get which will set me back about 1.5k installed and painted
    Would i be able to get a new computer for around 1k?
    If so, what would you recommend??
    Thanx again

Nice..... Grease Monkey Rex_Kelway's Avatar

Default Re: 5k to Spend

Now Heed the advice of Rex for He is the seer of all:

What do you do with the car? If it were Rex he would:

BAM!!!, Thats the sound of Him canning the bodykit idea, The funds can be added to make 2.5K for a GOOD ECU and tuning, maybe injectors if required.

If you have any change, invest it in long term high yield investments and when matured, Sort the Suspension and Good tyres.

However if you car is a cruiser rather than a driver, forget the ECU and Hi-Flowing and put the whole lot towards that Silly fibreglass kit thing, Ewwwwww.

Rex

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Well, me, I wouldn't worry about the bodykit, and if you do I think you've well under-budgeted. Work on about 2k to buy and 2k to paint/fit. The computer, you'll never get one fitted and tuned for under 1k. Work on 1500-2k for a MicroTech or similar. You can get one for about 1100 (cheaper on ebay and stuff), if you're handy you can fit it yourself, then about another 300-500 to get it tuned. I wouldn't worry about hi-flow, just buy an aftermarket comp. For the money you've got, this would be my list:

First: Suspention (this is seperate from the 5k list below) At the very least, get some good coilovers, replace your brakepads and bushings. With a bit more to spend, get swaybars. Power is nothing without control

Exhaust: 3", at least one good muffler, rear muffler with tip, dump pipe. 1k

Comp: Microtech, fit yourself, tuned by someone who has a good history (don't go for the cheapest) $1500.

Intercooler: China brand, front mount, about $800 (I guess, unless you can get a china kit)

Intake: pod, mounted somewhere good, get rid of AF meter with the microtech $100

Turbo: GT28RS or similar: $1100-1500

Turbo manifold: get a china one, they're so cheap now, and work well. $400

That should cover it, and make nice power, smooth and not too laggy. Remember to work out your total power aim and work towards it. If you want 600hp, don't buy a 300hp turbo and 'do it later' On the other hand, aim for something thats within your budget and actually useful. Me, I'd never aim for more than 300odd from a GT4, because the most important thing is USEABLE power. Laggy turbos and huge power is just a pain. A nice, small BB turbo rated to 350hp is what I'd be looking for, it'd rock on the SW20. Also, before you boost it hard, check the condition of the engine (unless you have the funds to replace it on the off chance it blows)

Lastly: shop around, and good luck with it, you could do a really nice setup for that money.

That's my 2c.

RM.

Junior Member Carport Converter GT4Junkie's Avatar

Bodykits not a major issue, got a mate that owns a panel beater shop,he can fit and spray cheap, thats the main reason its on the drawing board in the first place.
    Suspensions fine,was imported with tien suspension with adjustable cambers, and was fitted with bigger brakes,was planning for more power later down the track.
    Intakes all fine,as soon as i fit in the airbox with straight air intake,hks pod atm.
    Yea got a quote for 1k for exhaust.
    Might take your advice and leave the Bodykit for later,try to get as much power as possible with the money i got now. Not looking for to much power tho, 300hp should surfice atm.
    Its mainly decideding what turbo/highflowing existing and the Comp.

cruisin in a z30 Automotive Encyclopaedia -=DV=-'s Avatar

mate ive been told by a few ppl that high flowing the ct26 isnt the best option as the compressor housing tends to start pitting, ive never seen this and have no experience with high flowed ct26's, its just third hand information from a few random ppl i was talking about cars with, if i were you id opt for a gt28 or a gt30 in the area of turbo, fmic, move the battery to the boot, straight intake, custom airbox with a few cold air pipes leading to it and water injection...cheers

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

the highflow and rebuild of the CT26 will cost you 2k, with mine they used T4 for highflow with CT26 housing, and to be honest never been in another car with standard ct26 so i dont no how much better it really is,

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Nim's Avatar

Yeah I've heard bad things about highflowing CT26s. I really can't tell you what. It's just setting off alarm bells in my head. Make sure you do some research.
    Daily: DC2 Integra VTiR :: 96kw @7300rpm - 132nm @6300rpm
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

though mines been perfectly fine for ova a year

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Nim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jorrs
    though mines been perfectly fine for ova a year
    To be perfectly honest, I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's setting off alarm bells, it just is. Perhaps someone just had a dodgy turbo? *shrug* I can't remember.

I'm a bit tired. Hope my sleepy ramblings are helpfull.
    Daily: DC2 Integra VTiR :: 96kw @7300rpm - 132nm @6300rpm
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

maybe it was highflowed but not rebuilt ? is that possible ?

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

The ct26's limitation is the exhaust housing. its too small. Some people machine them out (ats)and rename them a ct27. ct27's are a great upgrade, but for the price of garret;s these days, its hardly worth the money and down time.

I have a hiflowed ct26, steel turbine and 50trim comp wheel. The major difference is that it can hold boost in the higher rpm better/not fading as much. its got abit more mid range, and slightly more lag. nothing too bad though.
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

That's the thing. For the cost of a new turbo, it's hardly worth rebuilding one, let alone spending $$$ getting hi-flow and suchforth done. It does keep the factory appearance, but it doesn't sound like you're really keen on that anyway. Sounds like the suspentions sorted, so I'd go with the list I wrote earlier if I was you, just remember to always have about an extra 20% more than you plan to spend just in case.

What did the exhaust include? If it's 1k I'd want a new dump pipe and a hi-flow cat included in that, people often overcharge for what's basically a peice of pipe.

RM.

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

Put it in a term deposit and wait for the car to decide what needs fixing?

****yas Grease Monkey

mullett your right about the overcharging of the exhaust. people go into exhaust shops and they're told they need a stainless steel job with these top of the range hi flow cats etc etc etc and they end up getting ripped off. the exhaust will last longer than the car will. better to hunt around and do your research to find out what you need.

i'd agree with doing the cooler, ecu, turbo

but i'd make sure that the fuel system can keep up. make sure you know when your going to need a new pump, injectors or even surge tank, and budget for them when the time comes. its not something you want to skimp $ on.

ps: dont waste money on a kit! gt4's are already individual goodlooking cars as it is.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Anything done to suspension it seems to be lacking from the list, a large part of the budget but something like the whiteline works kits or the cheap option atleast a decent rear sway bar will make the car so much more enjoyable to punt hard.
    If in doubt power out