Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrade-KE26

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Brake upgrade-KE26

Hello, I'm wanting to upgrade the front drums(yes drums) on my KE26 corolla to some discs

after spending nearly a couple of hours on the old site researching the topic, I'm still to find a definite answer

oldcorollas posted a link in a different thread for a disc conversion for a KE10/15, and ive gleened as much as I can from that.

so i plan to poach some KE30 front discs and calipers, as well as the wheel hubs and backing plates, from what i understand they should fit on my KE26.

can anyone confirm what else I will need, and any pointers in swapping em over?

thankyou very much, I need to get the 26 on the road asap!

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: Brake upgrade-KE26

if you go the ke30 why not go the ta22 the discs are bigger.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

cuzzo, have you tried to fit TA22 to an early rolla? how did it go?

Bside, if you have a three bolt strut bottom (to steering arm) then you basically have KE10 brakes anyway..

yes, all the stufff you mention will bolt across with no problem, except i think one of the bearings int he KE30 hub is a different size.
    if you can, grab some KE20 disc hubs, and then use the rest of the KE30 stuff.

or you can just get new KE20 bearings put into KE30 hub (take boht hubs to bearing shop)

KE30 has different stud pattern than KE20, so if you want to keep the 4x110 KE20 pattern, use a KE20 disc brake hub. if the KE55 discs are thicker (12.5mm vs 10mm) it is very very slightly better to use them

Cya, Stewart

oh, only thing you may need to mod is the dust/backing plate near the tie rod end ont he steering arm.. it may interfere, but maybe not...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

well i put the ta22 struts into a ke30 and they went in fine. one little mod with the control arm and that was it. I was just saying if you go the ke30 strut wouldnt it be possible to put a ta22 strut in?

Are you having a dig at me stewart?
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well i put the ta22 struts into a ke30 and they went in fine. one little mod with the control arm and that was it. I was just saying if you go the ke30 strut wouldnt it be possible to put a ta22 strut in?

adam i think stu is reffering to the strut top and a TA22 one will not fit in a KE26 or ke55 without modificaiton to the tower.

you can however if you use a st141 rear spring inverted use a standard ke55 strut top on a ta22 strut and itll work.

no, not having a go...
    i was wondering how you went about putting TA22 discs onto KE20 strut..

KE30 has longer steering arm than KE20 and some KE20 have three bolt bottoms.
    i think the ball joint is same size between them but not 100% positive.

having to change steering arms to celica/KE30 will make steering slower on KE20 so maybe not so good

KE20 springs are smaller diameter than KE30 tho, so you have more leeway for movign strut top with smaller springs...
    are TA22 small springs (like KE10/20/70) or large (KE30)???
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey smitty1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo

Stewart is talking about using the standard struts with either KE20 or KE30 disc brake hubs, rather than changing the whole strut.
    Cheers, Ian

ok sorry stu. Thanx for the clarification.

no worries
    it's a truckload easier just to swap hubs n bearings and discs etc as opposed to putting in whole strut

just got some discs, calipers, backing plates and hubs from a ke36 wagon.

the discs are 9.8 mm thick so im still legal!

oldcorollas you were correct in saying the wheel hubs dont match the 26, they are 4mm too wide for mine.

so will have to source some 20 disc wheel hubs from somewhere now as the wrecker I got this stuff from didnt have any

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

wouldn't KE70 discs be better for this? or will extra modification be required?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey
    wouldn't KE70 discs be better for this? or will extra modification be required?
    that depends.
    the "south east asia" KE70, which has long thin brake pads, has the square bolt pattern that fits with the KE10-KE55 struts.
    i have them on my KE15 now. they have the 12.5mm disc.

it sems that most KE70 brakes have square pads, and also have a non square bolt pattern between backing plate and strut, which measn they don't bolt up unless you bodge the holes... not so good...

so if you can find the correct KE70, then yes, they are a bolt up option

oldcorollas Im finding it quite hard to get some ke20 wheel hubs ive tries several wreckers within a 30km radius of me but none of them have the hubs or even KE20s for that matter!

do you know if any other toyotas share the same stud pattern and would the hubs fit on the ke30 discs? I was thinking along the lines of a liteace or something

ok cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey smitty1's Avatar

BSIDE

If you head over to the "ke corolla dedicated thread" in General Car Talk and introduce yourself, you may stand a pretty good chance of someone helping you out.
    Cheers, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by BSIDE
    oldcorollas Im finding it quite hard to get some ke20 wheel hubs ive tries several wreckers within a 30km radius of me but none of them have the hubs or even KE20s for that matter!

do you know if any other toyotas share the same stud pattern and would the hubs fit on the ke30 discs? I was thinking along the lines of a liteace or something

ok cheers
    well... there is also the KE15 disc brake hub.. but i think they are a little harder to come by