Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting 3sge st162 to carby...

Junior Member Grease Monkey shmickmik's Avatar

Default Converting 3sge st162 to carby...

G'day!

Ok i really like my st162.. but due to owning so many different carby cars, it really irritates me having all these sensors and what not sitting under the bonnet that may go wrong, and when they do drastically effect the running of the car.

I am used to carbies and it looks as if i will always stay that way..

What i wanted to know is, has anyone converted their 3sge to carby before?? Any links or pics would be greatly apreciated! Also its my understanding that you can still gain just as much power with a proper tune and carb setup as u can with efi.

I would have to get a manifold made up/adapted to fit amongst other things, but this makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that by doing so, ill be getting rid of a whole lot of things that can (and will) **** up later on.

Cheeers!
    PS I know it sounds pretty stupid to most people... i really am interested in this no matter what benefits EFI has..

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Default Re: Converting 3sge st162 to carby...

if this can be done, can the ecu be removed?

I'm no mechanic but i assume so? I wouldnt think removing the ecu would effect anything else but the EFI system.. I would have to do alot more research into how the cluster gets its readings, and how the electricals of the car are wired up..

**EDIT** Also i would have to work out how to hook up T-VIS to kick in without the signal from the ecu..

But atm i can picture a clean ass engine bay with shiny webbers just sticking out of the bonnet.. and the induction roar that thing would make at high revs

It also comes down to the fact that i like to have FUN with my cars.. they arnt just transport for me.. but big .. expensive lol toys. I love tinkering with them and being able to do everything myself. Not have to pull 75% of the car apart to get to a friggen hose/wire!

I am really serious about this, and since i have decided i will keep the car, THIS time i cam going to modify it how *I* want to. It will be different and id be pretty proud of myself

I wonder if the manifold of a 3SFC could be adapted?

Arghh anyways i will shut up about it now before i start some impulse buying *aka ebay*

wo8uld it not be easyer to swap the 3s with an engine that comes with carbies?

I was thinking that.. although my options would be limited to carby engines 1987+ onward..

Not only that i would prefer to keep the original block with the car.

hehe thats right, nsw laws.
    in adelaide you can fit an older engine if you wanted too....

Maybe i should try changing the thread title to Converting 3sge st162 to weber Thats what i had in mind lol

I came across this site : http://www.fraser.co.nz/Engine-Options-16

3SGE On Carburettors
    Engine (Bell Housing)
    Gear Box Toyota
    Starter Spacer
    Sump & Pick Up Mod
    Cam Cover Mod
    Inlet Manifold
    2 x 45DCOE Weber (new)
    Throttle Cable, Rubber Mounts, Filters etc.
    Ignition Computer
    R.W.D. Water Cooling Pipes

The 3SGE engine also lends itself beautifully to modification in that the expensive parts to replace in the 4-AGE (ie,buckets, shims & retainers) have had a design revision and can be left standard in the 3-SGE. with just cams & compression 220hp is attainable
    ALSO

http://www.paeco.com/Weber%20Conversion%20Kits.htm

TOYOTA 3SGE, 5SFE DOHC DUAL 40DCOE $700 $1600
    700 just for the manifold or adaptor
    1600 with the weber's included

Team Awesome Carport Converter Pimpin_1JZ's Avatar

While it is possible to swap the 3SGE to the 3SFC it will not be worth it, being the carby engine has an "economical" head and not the "G" series head. It can be done to carby the 3SGE. It has been done numerous times on 4AGE's. Search for 4AGE's with carbies and you will have some luck. It won't be much different to your 3SGE.
    1JZ MZ20 Soarer - 4AGZE KE70 Corolla - 4AGE AE86 - 4AGE KE70

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Let me get this straight you want to put WEBERS on you car, because EFI is causing to many troubles?

You wrote that you couldnt change back to an earlier carbed engine because it wouldnt be legal... bad news, a couple of 45s hanging off the GE wont be legal/roadworthy either.

dont get me wrong, the sound of two or three webers at full noise is hard to beat, but it wont be legal. you would have more chance using an aftermarket computer and Individual Throttle Bodies..

The inlet is on the back of the engine, isnt it? would thier be enough room between the head and the fire wall to fit the carbs?

40 odd years ago.... when Mini Coopers S' ruled the roost, fitting a weber or two was a pretty big deal.

Unforturtunately, you had to cut the firewall and the ram tubes stuch through the dash, where the speedo used to be (centre of the dash).. by all reports the sound on Wide Open Throttle was glorious........ The singed eyebrows when the throttle was snapped shut were a little tedious however

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

i suggest you go back out to the carport and look at where the inlet ports on the head are facing.. and then take notice of how close they are to the firewall.

can you see a pair of sidedraft webbers squeezing in there?

and this statement:
    Also its my understanding that you can still gain just as much power with a proper tune and carb setup as u can with efi.+
    is highly doubtful and most unlikely to happen.

Both the links you put up are for RWD cars, not a FWD car - you'd have to do a lot of engineering to get the runners pointing to a space that you can fit the webbers into, but then you'd have issues with having such long runners between valves and the carbi throttles.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

If it were April 1, I would almost believe this...

Roadhouse Automotive Encyclopaedia emp?'s Avatar

haha there he is!
    KE38 - 2TG
    MS65 - 1UZ

Oh well it was just an idea.. i was thinking if i can goto a carby/weber setup i would lose economy but still retain the same amount of power. Plus having a less cluttered engine bay and sensors to go wrong bla bla bla

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shmickmik
    Oh well it was just an idea.. i was thinking if i can goto a carby/weber setup i would lose economy but still retain the same amount of power. Plus having a less cluttered engine bay and sensors to go wrong bla bla bla
    its 2008, how is it that people still think like this?
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen