Thread: 1ggte to R151 adaptor

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1ggte to R151 adaptor

Hi guys I am currently doing an engine swap on my 84 4wd hilux to a 1ggte. My old g52 gearbox is on the way out and i wanted to put in the stronger r151 gearbox out of the 2.4td toyota surf.

Does anyone know where i can find a adaptor plate or bellhousing to mate the 1ggte to the r151 box?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Default Re: 1ggte to R151 adaptor

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Hi guys I am currently doing an engine swap on my 84 4wd hilux to a 1ggte. My old g52 gearbox is on the way out and i wanted to put in the stronger r151 gearbox out of the 2.4td toyota surf.

Does anyone know where i can find a adaptor plate or bellhousing to mate the 1ggte to the r151 box?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Sorry if you already know this.... if you buy yourself another 84" model petrol gearbox, bolt the 1GGTE bellhousing to the Hilux gearbox and it will all bolt together.

My mate has done this for years and never broken a gearbox.

cheers

Yeah that was the original plan, but then my gearbox started to pack it in behind the 3y, so i figured even more power would kill a G52 very quickly?

I have allready bought a r151 too and have it sitting beside the hilux atm so i really wanted to use it. But it looks like i have to either get a different engine for the r151 or an old g52 and take it easy.

Either that or i make a backyard adaptor plate and i dont like the chances of that working hahaha

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

There is nothing off the shelf to bolt a 1G to an R box.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

sir Grease Monkey

i had to fabricate one in my 1jz 4x4 hilux .i just wanted to use a conventional hd push type clutch. so i got the engine end of a 1j bellhousing and the bach half of a r150f bellhousing set it all up in a jig . then rolled a 8mm aluminium ring and tigged it all up . works a treat and feels a lot heavier and tighter than the last three g52,s. anything is possible . cheers big wad

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic {Mr Crabs}'s Avatar

Sell the 1g and buy a 1J or trade the r151 in for a W56 from a Prado or Hilux.
    I should be a little better than a G52.

I bought a reco W56 for $900,seems to be holding up with 300+ hp

Cheers Case

Quote Originally Posted by big wad View Post
    i had to fabricate one in my 1jz 4x4 hilux .i just wanted to use a conventional hd push type clutch. so i got the engine end of a 1j bellhousing and the bach half of a r150f bellhousing set it all up in a jig . then rolled a 8mm aluminium ring and tigged it all up . works a treat and feels a lot heavier and tighter than the last three g52,s. anything is possible . cheers big wad
    That sounds good mate but i personally wouldnt know where to start with making the jig, im assuming it has to be close to perfect too for everything to line up?

I was thinking about the 1j but i have just bought a new clutch, waterpump, idler bearing and bellhousing for the 1g and that would probly be about $600 wasted if i tried to sell it now.

I might have a look into the prado gearbox though that is something i was unaware of, cheers.

Forking Architect Grease Monkey

Have you tried Dellow? if they dont have it catalogued then they can definately make something to fit
    Rotaries are cool...so why are their owners such cocks>>?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

whats the diff ratio in the surf? surely a w58 will suffice. i think you'll save or even make yourself some money if you do it that way

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic {Mr Crabs}'s Avatar

It's a 4WD so the only option is a G52 or W56, you can't just swap the rear housing on a W58.

Cheers Case

Cheers for the help guys. I guess i was really just hoping that there was a relatively cheap adapter plate out there that i hadnt found allready.

Atm im sick of seeing my 1ggte sitting on the bench so im going to get a low k g52 this weekend for ease of installation. I think i'll keep my r151 on the side maybe for a 1 or 2jz conversion in the future.

Hopefully i will manage to take it easy on the g52 and get some use out of it

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

There are talks of people making an adaptor plate that will enable an R box to be bolted to a W/G bellhousing, however they will only be made for the 190mm R input shaft.
    90% of R151's have a 160mm input shaft, so you'd need to swap that, which inturn would push the box back 30mm, and you'd have to change all your driveshafts to suit.

But no one has made said adaptor yet.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida View Post
    There are talks of people making an adaptor plate that will enable an R box to be bolted to a W/G bellhousing....

But no one has made said adaptor yet.
    If anyone wants one I can design said adapter in about an hour. wont do it if noone wants it though. could then get it cut/machined, or you can get it done yourself. [email protected]

cheers
    ed
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

marks 4wd adapters have made and sold that exact adapter W o R , its a 16 mm steel spacer that bolts to the gear box.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cambelt View Post
    marks 4wd adapters have made and sold that exact adapter W o R , its a 16 mm steel spacer that bolts to the gear box.
    Dave
    Do you know when this was last sold?

I cant find it listed anywhere on the site, I did send them an email too a week ago but i never got a reply.