Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2jz-ge...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Alchemist's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZ-GE engine being wierd sometimes...

The non-vvti 2JZ-GE uses a dizzy Havn't changed the rotors inside the dizzy, maybe that's something to do. Yup, have had it dynoed, A/F's seemed OK, see dyno chart below, the 133.4 is as it currently stands.

Has been perfect again today, maybe it's all in my head

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Bugger, eh! Did the engine display the same symptoms when it was dynoed, or have they developed more recently?

If they have developed more recently, I'd check rotor and probably fuel rail pressure too. Perhaps the pump could have seen better days?

Or it could just be psychological... It happens to all of us. In the quest for endless power, the brain fabricates faults to help justify the next mod!

Back to OT, Draven, you'll find that wasted spark isn't such a bad ignition system. It has advantages in certain engine configurations (eg turbo), and you don't really lose any power by buzzing two plugs instead of one (The pot with the A/F mixture in it has a lower resistivity, and as such is the path of least resistance). Wasted spark also has the advantage of 'cleaning' the plugs with the extra non-combustion pulse. The only time you would have problems with wasted spark is if you are running cams with phenomenal overlap (igniting the incoming charge before the inlet valves close), or if the boost you are running is 'blowing out' the spark (time for MSD anyway).

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

From memory the 2JZ-GE has an "ACIS" system to vary the inlet path to provide a torquey bottom end and then a free flowing top end - maybe the the vsv, vac lines or the electrical control circuits/plugs are intermittently faulty leaving it stuck in free flowing mode only with a doughey bottom end at times?
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

Thanks for all the input guys, some excellent ideas for things to check out

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manny
    From memory the 2JZ-GE has an "ACIS" system to vary the inlet path to provide a torquey bottom end and then a free flowing top end - maybe the the vsv, vac lines or the electrical control circuits/plugs are intermittently faulty leaving it stuck in free flowing mode only with a doughey bottom end at times?
    I'd be starting with that. If its only been since your service then there is every chance the trigger wires for the ACIS system were bumped or maybe not plugged back in properly. To change your spark plugs they will have seperated the crossover pipe on the manifold
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Default Re: 2jz-ge...

I thought I knew the 2JZ-GE pretty well, but this ACIS thing is like opening a pandoras box. Googling has revealed much info! Kudos to all who've mentioned it, sounds quite plausable

OK, so after some readings on the internet about ACIS I went and did a test to see if the actuator did do anything....

I got most of my info from here...but good readings on TVIS also yeild some results.

http://www.geocities.com/mwsupra2003/acis.html

Anyway armed with my Dad inside the car reved it to 4500-5000RPM and held for a few seconds(not the best idea I know, but I was curious). Sure enough the little actuator makes the butterfly turn, so I'm guessing my vac leads are OK, I checked them all as much as I could visually they were all on tightly and none seemed to have perished. I'll go another week and see if the problem is all in my head, if it continues I'll give my mechanic a buzz and see what he thinks...

Today Im a Domestic Engineer Enchanter's Avatar

sigh

Why do engines have to be so dam complex these days ?

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread...9937#post59937

Hey we both learned eh? I reckon building a monster N/A 2JZ is definately worth it, will all the mods you put in your previous post. 400ps ATW 2JZ's have been built so it's definately possible. I must admit I am amazed at the amount of work that has gone into the intake manifold of the 2JZ, but not only that ACIS is also on the 7M-GE and 2JZ-FSE...it seems another refinement of TVIS(yay acronim city ).

GT on this forums has all the mods you list on a 2JZ and see's 140-150RWKW shoot him a PM, and I know EdJZA80 has a set of ITB's for the 2JZ, I'd buy them off him, but I promised myself I'd stop modding my car now, so need self control....