Thread: TA22 intermitant wipers

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default TA22 intermitant wipers

So as we all know winter is here and nearly passed, and there is nothing more annoying then the light sprinkle of rain during spring that is enough to blur vision but not to justify turning wipers on for a prolonged session. In the past people would have to hire small orphan children to operate the windscreen wipers maintaining a constant steady pause between wipes to limit smearing and the all famous screech of a dry wiper blades abbrasive journey across the windshield. Then life changed. intermitant wipers were developed as was the lightbulb and nuclear weopons. people around the world could breathe a sigh of relief and orphans lost there jobs world wide.

However for people who enjoy the classic times this was not the case. TA22's and RA2#'s missed out on this technological advance. But there is hope. I have been researching on bringing the technology of the future back to the past!

Orginally I was looking for this modification for the TA but through looking this would be an easier job on a RA with a few steps missed.

Firstly I would like to state I have not completed this as of yet and need some help in aquiring certain information. DO NOT ATTEMPT UNTIL CAN BE PROVEN IT WORKS. But I have made a start. any help ina dding bits will be appreciated

For the TA:
    you will need to aquire these parts:
    RA23 steering coloum (ignition barrel included)
    keys for barrel
    RA60 wiper motor
    RA60 indicator and wipers switch assembly from coloum
    RA60 wiper actuator box. (located behind the passenger kick panel)
    wiring skills and wiring diagram for both RA ignition barrel and RA60 indicator/wiper controls
    RA coloum cover.

NOTE: This will change your coloum from a cylinder finish to a square finish. (TA coloum to RA coloum) however due to the dash a slight modification will need to be made to the top cover of the coloum as the actual dash only has a recess for the TA design

2nd NOTE: RA and TA coloum are same length and use the same mounting points to hold coloum to dash bottom.

Step1: Start by taking out your steering coloum. The only bit you will keep for this is the mounting plate that screws into the firewall. place to the side.

Step 2: Place RA coloum in vice. Remove the ignition barrel. This can be tricky. you can do this via drilling or centre punch technique. Put barrel in safe place.

Step 3: Unscrew plate from the coloum covering the bearing (Steering wheel end) underneath is the bearing held in by a circlip. remove circlip.

Step 4: Evenly hit the alloy bearing case off of coloum. check bearing and replace if need be. You will need this piece. the insert of coloum should slide out of the casing.

Step 5: Remove RA mounting plate and discard. keep rest of coloum both insert and case.

Step 6: Repeat procedure with TA coloum. Side notes Ta coloum has 2 screws holding alloy tight remove first. circlip also present make sure you remove this too or the bearing wont come off merely the alloy casing will. keep mounting plate.

Step 7: RA casing is slightly bigger at base then TA casing so mounting plate needs to be filed or die ground out to fit over casing end. (notice new positioning marks need to be made while die grining. I just extended the old ones around ten mm to the left about 1mm needs to be taking from edge)

Step 8: Reassemble steering coloum. make sure mounting plate is facing correct way. keep in note IMPORTANT: coloum is collapsable. you will shorten the coloum by tryning to simply hammer the alloy case and bearing back onto coloum. Be carefull when doing this. reattatch ignition barrel

Step 9: bolt new modified coloum into place in car. wiring still needs to be done so rides not over yet

Step 10: Take a breather, sit down maybe relax eat a biscut or have a drink of milk or water its important to hydrate during physical activities. yes beer or spirits can also be used.

For the RA: none of this above needs to be done. you guys get it easy

ok both the RA60's motor and indicator/wiper assembly will now bolt into place. wiring still needs to be altered! This is where im at so far.

Help I need. Can anyone here find me a wiring diagram for the control box for RA60 and also the diagram for the indicator/wiper controls. after i have these i can sort out the wiring and finish the prjoect.

Also does anyone know what the fifth cable on the back of the RA ignition barrel is for? a secondary ground maybe? it is a smaller gauge black wire does this need to be connected for the barrel to work? if it is a ground can it be joint with main ground to convert back to 4 pin connector

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 intermitant wipers

alternatively you could just make up a timer circuit with an independant switch and dial for intermittent wipers????

This kit has selectable timer delays, for both ON and OFF conditions (each condition has independant timing selection).
    IE: you can set it to turn ON for 3 seconds, and OFF for 10 seconds, and repeat.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...t&form=KEYWORD

You just need to work out how long you need to turn ON to get one wipe - might be like 2-3 seconds.
    Then just use a rotary switch or something similar to select between the OFF time intervals for your selected "intermittent" period.

That is certainly a metric fuckload easier than the essay you just wrote
    ...... butt scratcher?!

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    alternatively you could just make up a timer circuit with an independant switch and dial for intermittent wipers????

This kit has selectable timer delays, for both ON and OFF conditions (each condition has independant timing selection).
    IE: you can set it to turn ON for 3 seconds, and OFF for 10 seconds, and repeat.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...t&form=KEYWORD

You just need to work out how long you need to turn ON to get one wipe - might be like 2-3 seconds.
    Then just use a rotary switch or something similar to select between the OFF time intervals for your selected "intermittent" period.

That is certainly a metric fuckload easier than the essay you just wrote
    this was a popular thing to do in the Motherland.

A lot of early cars (not just toyota) on Yahoo have a dial fixed to the underside of the dash that works the wipers in an adjustable intermittent fashion.

you can still use the original switch in its original manner, and have this as a convenient alternative.

-dave

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

Narva and dicksmith also have an intermittant wiper kit but i can't seem to find them anymore.
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

oh well im going to finish it this way cause all the parts are free. plus i like the challenge.

i tell you what.... i'll build the kit for my KE70 and make it work, then write up a guide
    Might take a couple of months to get the car to that point tho.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

i honestly just want the wiring diagrams so i can do this one

..... yeah thats in the too hard basket

and i also dont have them.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

ha ha ha ok thanks anyway