Thread: having problems starting GT4

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice tai_180sx's Avatar

Default having problems starting GT4

i have a st185 gt4 and i've just finished putting the motor back in and hooking it up.

it still wont start. it feels like it wants to but just wont kick over

there is heaps of fuel pressure after the fuel filter, but the fuel return pipe doesn't seem to have any fuel pressure. there is not fuel comming out of it when i'm cranking the motor over only when i stop cranking does a little bit of fuel come out. the fuel pressure reg is plumbed in fine.

also what line is the fuel return supposed to go to? there is 2 pipes and i dont' know which one the fuel return line is meant to be on. obviously the fuel feed is after the filter.

maybe the fuel has gone off, maybe the air flow meter is fucking up, maybe the leads are wrecked. i can't work it out.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

Default Re: having problems starting GT4

Checked the Timing?.

Is the dizzy setup correctly?

Goto your diagnostics plug and short 12v+ with FP and try feel the line again

cant' check the timing till the car is running. the belt is all setup correctly and the dizzy is just in the middle. have cranked it over while moving the dizzy back and forth to try and start it but no good. but that is what it sounds like is wrong. it almost wants to start. i think its either fuel pressure or spark.

i dont' get what you mean with the diagnostics plug. this car is extreemly new to me so i dont' know where it is. also shorting 12v+ on FP? there is no lines going to FP, it is mechanical not electrical??

The diagnostics plug is a small grey box in the engine bay, if you flip it open undet the cap will contain codes on the and the other wil have terminals. Use a peice of wire to short FP (fuel pump) which activates the fuel pump thus sending fuel to the rail.

I think your timing is completly off

The dizzy should have the nipple aligned to the timing mark, like so

http://toymods.org.au/Repository/Tec...stem/ig_11.jpg
    Last edited by sw20r; 24-02-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

hey tai have u checked the main EFI relay ? i have had just the same problem as u describe and ended up being the main EFI relay and wiring underneath it was corroded.
    the one on right

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

You can roughly test your timing with only the starter motor turning the car over.
    At least you can use it to get the timing within 5 degrees of where you want to be... at which point the car should start anyway.

GT4 Insane Backyard Mechanic 1gt48u's Avatar

ignition leads around the right way??
    Troy

ST185 GT4

well i didn't do the leads or the timing, that was set up by the workshop that put the motor in for me. so i'd assume its right and i shouldn't have to adjust anything.

are you talking about the same grey box that james has pictured? i don't have the lid to it so i dont' know the codes.

nah the diognostic box in my motor was top right of motor right in the corner

hey mate, what happened with that BOV? where are the trumpets and everything that goes with it?

also just to make sure. where do the leads plug in?? like from front to back on teh distributor, what is the firing order? and the cylinder closest to teh drivers side is no.1??

the workshop that put the motor in for me didn't want to wire it all back up, so they gave it back to me to do. they put the motor in for me becuase i didnt' have a engien crane. so they have offered to take it back and get it running...

i need to know.... which is the fuel return line? in the passenger side back corner of the engien bay, what is meant to be there? i'm guessing it woudl have been soem kind of charcoal canister?? i have the fuel feed line and then 2 other lines comming up next to it, i'm guessing one is the fuel return and one is the breater line from the tank to the charcoal canister, does it really matter which one i plumb the fuel return line back into? i'm guessin they both go back to the tank??

couldnt get it to work, so got another small one for it and that works, michael said hes sending that bak to monza, i couldnt find the trumpets
    the guy at monza reckons that BOV wont build up enuf pressure till 12psi, so i got a smaller type 1 for it and put it on and that works.

It says on the dizzy, 1,4,2,3, etc

how come the workshop is so dodgy? just let them complete the work or take to someone else.

hey tai wat are your plans for the GT4 anyway ?

i need teh trumpets back you dickhead..... you can't credit half a product.
    tash is driven the gt4 around. hopefully the 180 will be back on teh road fully finished in the next month or so, i have some GTR Vspec brakes at work to go on it... the engine's getting build over the next couple weeks.

yeah i found the lead numbers on the dizzy...

i pulled the dizzy out and its nothing like the one pictured above... i wound it over to top dead center, pulled the oil filler cap off and couldn't even see the top of the cam to make sure its on compression, then pulled the dizzy out and instead of having a cog on it like in the picture it has a fork on the end of it and it only fits in one possible way....

the workshop isn't dodgy at all. i was doing all the work myself and asked them to drop the motor in for me because i didnt' have an engien crane. then they gave it back to me... i wouldnt' call that dodgy. they actually did a hell of a lot more than i asked. they basically installed everything except wiring.... i was stoked when i whent to pick it up..

ok so now, i've pulled all the plugs out, they all look perfect, they smell like fuel, but aren't wet. i have spark in every cylinder. the dizzy has to be installed correctly because there is only one way it can go. i dont' have a fuel pressure guage so i can't check teh fuel pressure, but thats the only thing i can think the problem is because there doesn't seem to be a lot of fuel comming out the return pipe.