Thread: Caldina St215G rear disc conversion

Forum Member

Default Caldina St215G rear disc conversion

Hi all, I am new does anyone have knowledge of how to do a drum to disc conversion on a 2002 Caldina ST215-G 4wd wagon?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Caldina St215G rear disc conversion

i would suggest grabbing bits from an ST215W GT-T wagon that has rear discs could be a start perhaps??
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

WTF! Your 4wd Caldina has rear drums!
    On the 190 series, all the 4wds had disc brakes, including in 96 when they down graded all the disc brakes rear ends on anything other than a TZ.

I've got a FWD. I've converted the rear drums to discs using ST184 parts.
    I'd imagine the conversion would be pretty much the same as you shouldn't need to change the stub axle.
    I did, but only because I was a newby at the time & didn't realise that the centre hole of the disc is only 54mm on that Celica, & mine was 55, therefore the disc wouldn't fit over my stub axle.

REAR DISC CONVERSION
    Have a look at that thread. If your parts look identical, then you could use the FWD backing plate, caliper & disc. Just make sure that the disc is off a ST20x Celica, or a 96 or later Caldina (ie ST21x)

I would suggest usign the Caldina parts like OldCorollas said though as I've got problems with disc dragging on the calipers using the Celica parts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist
    WTF! Your 4wd Caldina has rear drums!
    On the 190 series, all the 4wds had disc brakes, including in 96 when they down graded all the disc brakes rear ends on anything other than a TZ.

I've got a FWD. I've converted the rear drums to discs using ST184 parts.
    I'd imagine the conversion would be pretty much the same as you shouldn't need to change the stub axle.
    I did, but only because I was a newby at the time & didn't realise that the centre hole of the disc is only 54mm on that Celica, & mine was 55, therefore the disc wouldn't fit over my stub axle.

REAR DISC CONVERSION
    Have a look at that thread. If your parts look identical, then you could use the FWD backing plate, caliper & disc. Just make sure that the disc is off a ST20x Celica, or a 96 or later Caldina (ie ST21x)

I would suggest usign the Caldina parts like OldCorollas said though as I've got problems with disc dragging on the calipers using the Celica parts
    Thanks wagonist for the info I needed to know the other model cars that may have the parts as not many Caldinas get broken up for parts here, the hub assembly looks like this pic attached. I had a look at the backing plate and removed the bolts holding it on but it seemed fastened tight I dont know how to get it off nor the steps to disassemble the hub.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Because your's is $WD, you'll need to undo the big 32mm nut on the end of the axle (easiest with the wheel still on & the car on the ground, just loosen it at this point).
    Jack the car up & remove the nut. Chock the front wheel;s as you need to release the handbrake.
    If you now pull on the wheel with the wheel nut done up, part 9 should come off with the wheel & drum still attached.
    Undo the 4 bolts hold part 8 on.
    By the looks of it, the spacing of those 4 bolts is the same as those holding the stub axle onto the FWD rear end.

You need to replace the drum & the banking plate (part 8 on your diagram) with a disc brake rear end.
    I've got a spare ST184 Celica disc brake rear end here.
    I'll post some pics up in the next dy or 2 of it with some measurements for you to check.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist
    Because your's is $WD, you'll need to undo the big 32mm nut on the end of the axle (easiest with the wheel still on & the car on the ground, just loosen it at this point).
    Jack the car up & remove the nut. Chock the front wheel;s as you need to release the handbrake.
    If you now pull on the wheel with the wheel nut done up, part 9 should come off with the wheel & drum still attached.
    Undo the 4 bolts hold part 8 on.
    By the looks of it, the spacing of those 4 bolts is the same as those holding the stub axle onto the FWD rear end.

You need to replace the drum & the banking plate (part 8 on your diagram) with a disc brake rear end.
    I've got a spare ST184 Celica disc brake rear end here.
    I'll post some pics up in the next dy or 2 of it with some measurements for you to check.

Thanks I await your post.