Thread: 2nd issue AE82

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Default 2nd issue AE82

AE82 again, this time a water pump leak behind the pulley.

Will this require a rebuild ?

Can I get away with some gasket sealant smeared around the shaft for the next day or so ?

Can I just replace the O-ring sealing the shaft ?

If it requires a rebuild, is it going to be expensive ?
    Last edited by greywolf; 30-03-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Originally a double post, now new problem

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: 2nd issue AE82

If its leaking from the little hole underneath the water pump it means that the bearings have gone so you need a new one...........
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Unless the hole is behind the pulley, then I'd say no. I haven't got the pulley off yet so not 100% sure.

2nd hand one is going to cost me $25, and I know it's reliability will be questionable, but can't afford to do anything better than that unless rebuilding it is inexpensive.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

WTF does 'issue' mean???
    Do Australians pronounce it in that lisping stereotypical homosexual way like Great Britain?

Yes, the water-pump is bad. It may leak consistently for years and continue to work just fine as long as you remember to replace lost coolant. It will leak less when there is less pressure by leaving the cap loose. There are many other somewhat necessary & preventive maintenance parts that may be replaced at the same time to combine labor costs.

Get it fixed or kill the engine.
    No, there is no O-ring ' sealing the shaft, but there is a seal that you would never be able to replace.
    No, nothing smeared on the shaft will do anything. Keeping the coolant inside will force it into the bearing, displacing its lube and possibly seizing it & breaking its shaft.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

a whole new aftermarket water pump should be had for around $100 (or even less if you can find one on ebay or the likes)

after market ones are generally only the front half of the pump with the impellor and pulley so they tend to be cheaper

if you can't afford to fix it properly, let it keep leaking and keep it topped up until you can. a few days or even a couple of weeks should be fine as long as you aren't driving too far and ensure it is always topped up
    I am the sun

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by allencr
    WTF does 'issue' mean???
    Do Australians pronounce it in that lisping stereotypical homosexual way like Great Britain?
    it means exactly what it says. Do you yankie simpletons spell it with 1 "s" to make it easier for joe average with an IQ of less than 10 to understand?
    how bout you quit the shit talk in more than half of your posts and just answer the fu#king question.

to answer the first post, i would say the pump is shagged and considering the price of a new waterpump versus the cost of a cooked engine or BHG (blown head gasket for the simple yankees) then i would suggest that as cheap insurance.

a new water pump for an AE82 from repco is $92.65rrp but you should be able to get them down to $62.80 by saying your a trady and thats what you paid for your last one (or just search around for the cheapest price)

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Thanks to Dale and cuzzo for the help. I'll just keep an eye on the coolant until I replace the pump.

I won't have any labour costs, since I'll be doing the fix myself. Thanks for the informative parts of your posts allencr, the rest of it I'll choose to leave since it does not have any merit.