Thread: 3SGTE not happy

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Default 3SGTE not happy

hey all, got a mate with a problem, ive never seen anything like it..

if you start the car, you need to hold the throttle slightly open, otherwise it just coughs and farts, when it starts, you can rev it freely.

then, when you set it back down to idle, it idles fine.

after idling for a few secs, you can crank the throttle FULLY open, and it doesnt increase revs, cough, fart, stutter, nothing.

it just continues idling.

originally i thought it might be a sock or something in the intake, althogh it doesnt fully explain it...

i cant check exhaust or what its like under boost as the cars running, but not rolling.

any idea as to what i should check?

it used to run properly after i did the wiring, started without problems, and runs fine, but there was a problem with the cam gears (aftermarket jobbies, apparently needed a spacer behind em?) and this only happened after the motor was taken out to fix.

its obviously not timing, so maybe a problem with the TPS, or something left unplugged?

Elmo.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: 3SGTE not happy

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    its obviously not timing, so maybe a problem with the TPS, or something left unplugged?

Elmo.
    Theres your starting point... recheck every bit of wiring. Does sound like electrical fault, and either TPS, MAP or AFM... or perhaps its another TLA I havent yet listed

Oxy sensor would blow soot, but run normally, knock sensor would allow it to rev up, temp sensor would put it in limp mode, but it would rev up.

Yeah, sounds like TPS actually, cause you can rev it when it is cold and the cold start injector is inserting the extra required fuel, but when it warms up, you cant rev it as it is only putting in enough fuel for idling.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Opening throttle "FULLY" and not picking up revs isnt possible, check that the trottle is actually moving more than 1 degree. Ie, the throttle linkage is properly working/connected, as it sounds like all your problems are around the throttle area.

I dont know if u can actually do this with all the EFI and what-not, but try open the throttle with your finger (im not talking about the cable or wheel, but the brass butterfly its self).
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Its not fly by wire is it??

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

AFM / MAP sensor not plugged in or faulty?? sounds like throttle opens up, and it's not taking in any air..

and drive by wire in a 3S motor? *meh* eldar's not into champagne and garden parties
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Check the wires going to the ISCV, I've seen something similar before which ended up being that

Is it AFM or map sensor?
    I am the sun

Triptek Enhanced Backyard Mechanic triptek's Avatar

What model 3s is it, i'd say it is the afm or a loose ic pipe. My mr2 did the same thing when the ic pipe popped off. And 5m/7mge's do the same thing when there afm is unplugged or stuffed.
    1990 SW20 MR2 turbo Gen III 3S-GTE conversion, 3" exhaust = 264.9rwhp
    1985 JZA61 2JZ-GTE + TO4Z = 442.1rwhp @ 18psi
    1991 JZA70 Limited 2JZ-GTE vvti GTX30/76r
    1994 GZX90 Mark II 1GZ-FE V12
    1980 MA45 Undergoing Restoration

Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar

Agree - AFM most likely. Check wiring, and check the flap is moving. (assuming its an earlier 3S)

And just for the hell of it, i'd try running it without the air filter first. It might be that simple.

EDIT: Check wiring continuity. Im pretty sure, that if the clip is off the AFM altogether there is no power to the fuel pump relay in which case it shouldnt run (for long) at all.
    meh...