Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone talk me out of this.... scissor doors RA28

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Red face someone talk me out of this.... scissor doors RA28

Guys, I'm not a fan of butchering a car and shithouse body mods, but I can't help but feel that scissor doors would complement the '28. I've got a new canary yellow paint job, and the lines would go with these doors. It's eating me up to know how many tossers have them on otherwise stock cars (and UTES) and I don't wanna seem to be following the trend. I know how shit these look on vehicles with a full window frame.
    I think that they will make access to rear easier. I'll be putting reworked engine in before it cruises any Maccas drive-thru's haha.
    Truth is, I'm not out to impress anyone other than myself. I'm all about go rather than show, but can't seem to shake this idea. Can anyone talk me out of this before it's too late?!?!!

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Default Re: someone talk me out of this.... scissor doors RA28

I actually like scissor doors on some cars, you'll get no argument from me.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

some times ricers ruin an otherwise good idea that might work on other cars.

unfortunately, scissor doors have been ruined for everyone. its bad idea.

Apparently I'm a Backyard Mechanic PULSE's Avatar

Suicide doors.. do eet!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

i like your attitude......i think u'll be able to pull it off and get the respect of non-ricers. but you will also attract ricers so u'll have to live with that.
    1977 RA23 Celica -> 1ggte conversion [SOLD]
    MA70 Supra 1JZ 5speed [SOLD]
    Current: IS200 1JZ VVTI 6 speed

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I'd like to see it done, it certainly should make it easier to get into and out of the doors and less likely to hit the door corners on stuff!
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Presidentom
    Guys, I'm not a fan of butchering a car and shithouse body mods, but I can't help but feel that scissor doors would complement the '28.
    About as much as my arse would compliment your face!
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I know someone here who is already in the process of doing suicide doors... I've looked at it and it requires a lot of reinforcement of the b-pillar. With the sheer weight of the 28 dorrs... Carbon fibre or fibre glass doors would prolly be a must. Sag is bad enough with the original brackets without adding the vertical stress.I'd suspect that no matter whar scissor door brackets you would get, they would only be servicable for a short period of time without the weight reduction. You may even have to reinforce the a pillar too. Goodluck with lining them up too...
    Last edited by swan86; 23-03-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    FT86 - still under warranty - cant modify it
    2 RA28's, 18RGEU - dead - went bang, 1JZGTE
    1 RA35GT 18RGEU,
    1 AE86 4AGEU
    1 RA65 2JZGTE

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by twentyEight
    About as much as my arse would compliment your face!
    depending on which one is better looking from a womans perspective, can you do a photchop to see what it would look like? im talking about the scissor doors on the 28.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Theres a pic at the top of this page here - http://www.bluewiremotorsport.com/mo...howpage&pid=21

Personally it just doesnt work with the lines of the car at all, and it seems to open outwards quite far to clear the door frame allowing it to go up.

Thanks for posting that pic from bluewire. First time that I've seen it on one. I'll photoshop it myself too. I think it's critical to make sure that the kit lifts the doors to somewhere near 90 degrees. The kits that only raise them to 45 etc don't seem worthwhile as the lower part of the doors seem ready to take out your forehead. Or atleast with other models I've seen lambo doors put on.
    As the doors still open 25 odd degrees, when they're only raised halfway, they seem a bit odd too. Once again, alot of the reason for this mod is for access.

Yeah I know what you mean. Unfortunately I haven't come across any other pics of classic celicas with scissor doors, and that pic that i showed you is pretty low quality and not the best angle either. I'd like to see it done properly because you seem like you want it done well and it could change my opinion. One thing I've always considered, not sure whether on a celica or some other car, is to have one door with the suicide hinge, and one door normal. so that one opens one way and the other one opens the other way. I think that'd look pretty cool, haven't come across any pics of it done before on any car but I'm sure it has been.

Cheers, Matt

Junior Member Grease Monkey

As bluewire states;
    This must rate as on of the coolest styling additions available for your car. Now your Classic Celica can have lambo style lift up doors. We think this is an excellent product and will really make your car stand out. If you’re looking to change the appearance of your car drastically then gull wing doors are a sure way to go about it. They require some drilling, body modifications some welding, no painting, and no stress! The inner guards of your car may need to be cut & rolled slightly. Once installed your doors will seamlessly open and close as if the gull wing came standard on the car!

Right Hinge
    Left Hinge
    2 X Wire Loom's
    Bolts & Washers
    2 X Gas Struts
    TA/RA Fitting Instructions
    RRP: AU$990.00 + Postage

$990.00+postage... how much do you want scissor doors?
    FT86 - still under warranty - cant modify it
    2 RA28's, 18RGEU - dead - went bang, 1JZGTE
    1 RA35GT 18RGEU,
    1 AE86 4AGEU
    1 RA65 2JZGTE

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

have you done it yet?

yeah, I know! The price is one of the things that has me miffed!! Everyone knows that "Custom" body shops charge like a wounded bull when the same thing can be done from a reputable panel beater, but at the same time I don't wanna be stung with a set of hinges that won't cope with the loads from a freakin heavy RA door.
    I don't wanna put in the work rolling guards, welding, painting and most of all making sure all the panels line back up, just to have them start to sag, crack, creak or have movement when driving. But are the more costly kits better quality, or have they just gone through more retailers and transport along the way?!? Because kits bought direct from the US are substantially cheaper, even once postage has been tacked on. I'm guessing this is because there is no shortage of 'chopper' style shops on the West Coast over there and competition lowers the price. Over here we're a fair way behind their trends, or at least follow them more subtly (which is a good thing, I think).