Thread: 1GGTE unknown leaking..

Riverina Chapter Automotive Encyclopaedia andyroo's Avatar

Default 1GGTE unknown leaking..

Hey all,

Well ive noticed my GTE seems to be leaking some oil, but got no idea where from?? The gearbox seems fine, all seals ok, so I thought maybe from the turbos somewhere? Not that I can see, all looks ok, but its dark and was only checking turbos from above.. any ideas?

Thanks Andy
    Last edited by andyroo; 19-03-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    2009 Toyota Hilux SR V6 4x4
    2000 Toyota Avalon Grande -SOLD 2014
    1985 Toyota Celica XX 1G-GTE - SOLD 2014

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGTE unknown leaking..

sump gasket leaking? possibly from impact i.e. u've hit something that's dented the sump and shifted the gasket?

oil cooler line?

oil line for turbo?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

is it "downhill" fromt he big patch to forward on the floorpan?

i would almost put money on it being the rear seal of gearbox (to the yoke)... the oil comes out there, then gets flung by the driveshaft and coats everything from that point backwards for a bit..
    on the drivers ide of tunnel you can see it is dry forwards, then suddenly oily.. the small trail on the passenger side going forwards, and the bit at the bottom on the drivers side look like oil going "downhill" when car is stopped...

change rear seal in box.

edit: to check, get a thin stick or bti of wire, and put in between the yoke and the cover to see if there is any oil sitting in there
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

it does look local around the tailshaft seal,...but saying that the oil gets blown back all the way down the car,

take it to a car wash, get under it with the degreaser and give it a good clean,

drive for 2-3 days, and recheck.

also what oil is it? box oil, eng oil, pwrstr oil? they all look similar when flung down the car, but you can tell by smell.

Yeah thanks guys,

Shortly after posting the pics I realised it must be rear gearbox seal, it is local around the driveshaft area, and its just spread heaps due to the angle I park it on.. The thing that gets me is that going for rego last year the mechanic claimed it was leaking (I had a look it was barely noticable) so he made me replace the seals (they did the work).. So less than a year later and its tons worse..Wish it came with a warranty..

Ok,

I just went to get it rego'd and they failed it on two things (the others are small that I can do myself) but the two were,

Steering Rack boot (replaced 2007)

and Diff pinion seal (replaced same time last year)

So I called the mechanic that did the work, and mentioned it was a problem again, and straight away he got all defensive, saying the diff was stuffed etc.. So, If the seal had not been replaced in 20 years and was only just slowly leaking now, why after less than a year is the same replaced seal leaking? Im really annoyed, Also the Rack boot they replaced is stuffed again..

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by andyroo
    Ok,

I just went to get it rego'd and they failed it on two things (the others are small that I can do myself) but the two were,

Steering Rack boot (replaced 2007)

and Diff pinion seal (replaced same time last year)

So I called the mechanic that did the work, and mentioned it was a problem again, and straight away he got all defensive, saying the diff was stuffed etc.. So, If the seal had not been replaced in 20 years and was only just slowly leaking now, why after less than a year is the same replaced seal leaking? Im really annoyed, Also the Rack boot they replaced is stuffed again..
    They completely ignored the leak you were concerned about, pictured above? These rego's you've got seem like a worthless government scam for tax money, that is fully supported by the business' that are ripping you off with Govt sanctioned reaming. Sorry.

About the leak, doesn't it have that very distinctive gear oil smell, it's gets really strong when it get flung on the exhaust. Just to be contrary, the top & right side of the tunnel don't look wet enough or have a clean straight 360 degree-line from the fluid spinning out, and the drive shaft & yoke look very clean & dry.

Well yes our Registration fees are somewhat rigged, but hey, how would local business survive othewise?

Anyway Im more pissed at the mechanic who "fixed" My diff and boot..I called consumer affairs and the guy said it did sound dodgey that it needs replacing again..

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

unless the sealing surface of the diff and tailshaft are grooved/stuff, or the tailshaft is out of balance
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Any oil on the rack boot? Can cause them to fail quite quickly.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    unless the sealing surface of the diff and tailshaft are grooved/stuff, or the tailshaft is out of balance
    What?

Goddam cars..

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

oldcorollas - "grooved/stuff". Replacing a seal, oil or grease, is more then just replacing the seal!!! Even though the rubber/neprone/buna/nitral/(sp?),even teflon material is much softer then the material it's sealing against/on, there may be a groove in that much harder material , when steel vs rubber seems so obvious, that is greater in size then the seal wear and has to be corrected if the New Seal is going to have any kind of life & last for a few years when rubbing against it. In observance of mechanical oddities, the steel(forged, billet, nitrated(?), parkerized,casehardened,shotpeened, fully balanced,steel belted radial,plenished crankshaft main journal may have a .50 groove worn into it, while that soft rubbery pussy of a spring assisted seal will only be worn .25mm. Go figure. To me, the softer material conforms and holds abrasive grit against the shaft,.

Fix the surface or change the position of the new seal so that it rides on a decent surface.

Your results may vary.
    Last edited by allencr; 20-03-2008 at 04:15 AM.