Thread: weird AFM question on 1g-gte

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default weird AFM question on 1g-gte

guys i just happened to see this done in a 1g powered celica and was wondering how it was possible and how it worked

car was running the std afm , but instead of the afm being before the turbos

this car /engine had it like this

pod filter ---- turbo------afm------cooler-----throttle

afm was placed inbetween the cooler and turbo plumbing and the car was working well
    i just didnt thi8nk that was possible but from what i can see that still doesnt make the airflow anybetter

any ideas ????????????
    Last edited by purple5ive; 22-02-2006 at 01:43 PM.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: weird AFM question on 1g-gte

It's possible for it to work, don't forget, it's just measuring airflow. From my observations in another thread, once on boost, the AFM is wide open anyway. I can't see any real benefit though personally unless you had more room for it on the intercooler section.

The other thing would be that the air temp sensor would probably be reading a lot hotter, because it's measuring the temperature of the boosted air.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

When some ppl drag their cars they drop their pod filter/turbo inlet pipes off I guess this setup allows that to be done easily without affecting the management system.

Like frank said, it should work with no probs. The amount of air that goes into the turbine is (hopefully) the same amount as what comes out.

*thinks again*

Ok, maybe that was way out, of course as pressure increases volume decreases and since AFM measures air volume it WILL affect the sensors output. If it was a constant ratio you could factor it in with a programmable management setup, but hmm... AFM readings dependant on boost level, i see a problem!

But air temp sensors should be mounted as close to the engine as possible to give the temp of the air going into the cylinders, not the temp of the air prior to the turbo or cooler. Unless of course it is an ambient temp sensor for some other form of compensation.

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

Timbosaurus...

You have a catch... Yes, the pressure increase will DECREASE the volume of air going in, but ultimately it's the FORCE on the flap in the AFM that determines how much volume of air is going through. Therefore, so long as the force exerted by said air remains the same, the volume and pressure and alter proportionally to each other and the force exerted will still remain the same.

All that said....

The reason for people putting the AFM after the turbos is actually a 'ricey' one. The AFM can quash any turbo noise, or more specifically the turbo "flutter" that occurs when you dont' have a wastegate.. If you put the AFM in front of the turbos, you won't hear the flutter. If the AFM is AFTER the turbos, you will hear more of the flutter.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...