Thread: T50 Rebuild info

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice bazzery's Avatar

Default T50 Rebuild info

Recently the T50 gearbox on the racecar decided it had had enough run on the dyno and decided to tell us all about it with some very noisy operation.
    After a gearbox swap, lasting well into the night at 4am before a meet the same day, a loan box was used. (Thanks ancullen)
    I have pulled the original gearbox apart to see what damage was done and how much metal was in the oil to see if it was viable for a rebuild. Surprisingly, there was not large chunks of metal. There was some very fine spots in the oil but that was it. Inspection of the gear teeth, I was only able to see 4 teeth on one gear only where there was what looked like pitting. In neutral, turning the output shaft, the movement feels very notchy (bearing gone)

My questions are what would I be looking at in $$ for getting it fixed approximately and should I replace the gear with the damage?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice bazzery's Avatar

Default Re: T50 Rebuild info

Thought I'd write an update for anyone looking for a T50 20 spline or trying to get one rebuilt. After getting the bearings replaced, I got the gearbox back and fitted it. Unfortunately it would only hold about 400ml of oil before the massive crack in the housing let the rest out. It cost me about $600 for a rebuild of the gear set.
    For info I am looking for a fix and have some limited avenues, but time is seriously running out as the V8 round is here next weekend and it needs to be fixed by then. I did find a website which I can not remember off the top of my head which said they have done these box's but they had none available. The saga continues!!

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Default Re: T50 Rebuild info

if you did not see the crack in the housing i presume it is just a hairline crack not a gaping fuckoff crack. why not alloy weld the crack in the housing? should not be expensive

or buy a rooted box and swap your good rebuilt gearset in.

ps> i'm guessing you're no longer interested in a gearbox in your WTB add?
    i pulled three hundred rocks from the land to build my house
    i walked quiet through the forest like a tiny quiet forest mouse

the oceans will rise
    please stand by the shore