Thread: Mods list...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Mods list...

Hey all!

I have a RN41 1981 Hilux... Its got drum up front, and the old L40... I know, its sad, and what makes it worse is the 4.3's in the rear.

Now i have read a disc conversion for the front is possible. I have expirenced the problem of different lower balljoints in comparsion with a LN55... Only a year older car. Info plus would be much appriecated on what model to source parts from

With the diff, a LSD outta a 4wd hilux... Is it a bolt in, or does it require bearings to be altered and crown wheels to be shifted across?

Currently not thinking of the motor, just getting a good driveline set up... With the 18R in there, i know it will make most things look strong *sighs*

Any feed back, photos, hints tips etc welcome

Cheers
    Simon

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Default Re: Mods list...

Hi Rat Tilly,

I don't have much experience with the mods... sorry.

I have an RN41 with a celica eng/trans installed, which gives it a nice 5 speed floor box. That is a great idea. If you can use the celica 18RG, then the performance will be a little better too

I have the drums on the front too, but haven't looked into the disc conversion... sorry.

As you said... the 18R couldn't spin one wheel, let alone two. But if you really want an LSD, then a later model LSD from a 4WD will fit in the housing. You may need to grab the axles as well, though, I remember hearing something about the 4wd axles being thicker. Could be mistaken though
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Currently have in possension a celica 5 spd floor shift... But i couldnt see the point in doing the engine conversion too... *wasnt the 18RG*

One being the Speed-o cable, is it compatible, or require fiddlin' comparing this celica box to the orginal L40

And, the rear bracket on the crossmember... What has to be done to it??? so far it looks like it just needs a set of new holes drilled in, and possibly a little bit of material taken out for the lower part of the mount to locate in

4x4 front guards off the early models like the RN41... They are big and flared so i have seen... They bolt on task?

Any info, hints, tips and things like that, please, post them up!

Cheers
    Simon!

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

just sell me the diff and scrap the car lol

if you can get your hands on a w5# speedo cable that will better than fucking around with the L40 one

make a new x member drilling holes in old stuff just isnt worth it
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Well, this is where i am at currently;

I have got the 5 spd up and in. Had to flare out the dowl holes, but that was easy enough. Ah been moddin' that bracket on the crossmember and the only thing that is slowing it down is the fact that the original mount off the Celica box is too high. Im going to see how much i can clear by reducing the flex in the mount (winding it up somewhat) and go from there. The bracket has been drilled and slotted out accordingly and seems to be lining up pretty much.

Where is the problem in the L40 speedo cable, is it the ends that are different, cause to the eye, its looking pretty much on the money... I can see that it needs to be re-routed to have enough length etc but yeah?!?

Query on the hole in the floor. Currently, there is a old as fire-out extingusher sitting on the tunnel, and according to the self tappers that are holding it in, the shifter postition is right against the bench. I do have it a little forward due to being challanged by height but i'm still thinking that it might hit... Now, if its gotta get a set of buckets put in its place where or what model should i be looking at... AND no doubt, that is going to require a engineer cert for aftermarket seat rails(or modified seats rails/mounts)?!?!? Yeah?!?

Once again, any info much appriciated!

Cheers
    Simon!

Okay, after a little bit of tinkering... Ive kinda hit a wall. And sorta need some urgent help
    Can anyone, anyone supply a good clear photo of the x-member bracket that they used/made up to fit their celica box up to this configuration?!?

Ive crushed the mount as much as possible, and jacked the box up until it was wedged against the tunnel *do note, that i have not cut the hole in the tunnel yet*

So brings me to the question... What did you do?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

i had a yn85 with a 2y and four speed i swapped whe box for a 18rg celica 5spd, when i did the conversion i had to cut my trans tunnel back to get the shifter sticking up through before you got and get to carried away, and then if i remember correctly i used the origionanal celica mount and just illongated the holes and put washers to space up the gap, sorry i cant be any more help i did the conversion like 6yrs ago

A HUGE THANKS goes out to DazbaVBz... You my friend have helped out sooo freakin' much... Cutting the hole first allowed so much more movement, and now the gearbox is all bolted up!!! Oh my!!! I fucking stoked as

Once again, thanks heaps to all that have put input into this thread