Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyota performance diesel???

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota performance diesel???

dual fuel on diesels, rather common on *big* engines like large generators etc becoming more so on smaller engines. im not a fan at all personally. really on most diesel vehciles how often do you need more grunt

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

are we still doing this
    okok

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by TooF
    really on most diesel vehicles how often do you need more grunt
    well i can easily think of one - towing - you always want more torque.

diesels have a fairly narrow power band under load (at speed) and anything that drops you out of that band means you struggle or push quite hard to get back into the sweet spot for the motor and chassis.

after shifting quite a few cars with my 5LE-powered hilux (3 litre sohc, electricly-controlled injector pump), i would greatly appreciate a turbo on it... all it takes is a slight change in incline or (more often) some dumb fuck getting into my lane to consume my braking space and then slowing me down for some stupid reason. The motor jumps out of the 500 rpm band that seems useful for towing and i have to go searching for a better road speed, gear and rpm.

A turbo would solve a lot of these as it would broaden (and hopefully lower) the useful power band of the motor.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

i guess most of my diseling has been offroading and the 5L family of engines does just fine offroad. and in terms of towing its usually been behind a 1HD which i guess is a different ball park of grunt

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

4.2 L naturally aspirated diesel.
    who wouldnt want more grunt out of the bloody things, more fuel and a blower at least gives them the ability to hold 100 up a hill...
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

in the 80 series ive never had grief with it holding speed. even towing a carfloat it feels like there is nothing behind it.

dont get me wrong TD is nicer but especially for off roading im not convinced you need heaps more power

mm i drive a nissan patrol, try puttin the 80 series on a set of 35's and see if you need more power

theyre fine for offroad, i just dont like it on the way into sydney up those big hills and stuff, i was laden and pulling a boat admitedly and on 35's but it was tragic.

ive got skinnies on it now and the gearing is much nicer which gives it more chance of staying at speed
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

the 80 series isnt mine its a mates, not 100% sure what size rubber is on it but its pretty big.

im running on skinnies on my lux as well

im busting to see my mate with the cruiser he swears by the bf goodrich ATs nad thats what was on the disco and patrol i dragged out of the mud the other day after i drove straight up with my dunlops

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

So, have you actually decided on what motor is going in this TA22 yet? Or are we still going to have a new random question every week?
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

+1 for random questions.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

if you want small impressive diesel, something european would be my bet.

if not, whats that one theyre advertising on tv? with the doochebag with the green slurpie....

thats a diesel isnt it?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I've got a hiace super custom with the 3L 1KZ-TE... it goes quite well around 100kw standard pushing 2 tonnes of van.

It would be a good engine in a old soarer or even supra for long distance crusing... the hiace's brick shape isnt the most aerodynamic hehe.
    yawn

Strange ****** Grease Monkey wraith's Avatar

While we're on performance, lets talk about the 3L... (2.8D for the uninitiated). Actually goes better with 33x11s than on the 31x10.5s... work that one out! I reckon you could probably do good things with a proper intake (trumpets) and extractors... not roomy, but at least you don't have to worry about throttle bodies! Maybe variable length intake manifold? Or just another pallet of turd polish? Decisions.... If the aircon pump wasn't taking all the room, I could have an SC14, but they appear to be getting old and rare... would need a 2L-T aneroid too... and still hardly 'performance'...

/end crapping on

cheers,

Ash
    WTB- replacement titanium nuts to suit the squirrel on my Megaswarf 2300. Carbon fiber model, not the Chinese knockoff fiberglass.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

extractors make a big difference to the 3l
    well worth it i reckon
    I DONT WORK FOR TOYOTA ANYMORE
    please, no more PMs!

im sorry, but if you want performance out of diesel, dont waste your time on anything except turboing the fucker, the rest is just not worth it...