Thread: FC calipers and S13 discs would this work?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default FC calipers and S13 discs would this work?

Last week I had a lightbulb circle above my head when my friend was putting on is Skyline gtr brakes on his S13 car... The ones that were left over were "brand new" slotted discs for a stock S13 brake setup.

If I mill the radius of the hub that is mounted on the celica TA23 (it is only 2 mm) so that the hat type disc of the S13 fits this hub, then I would be able to mount an FC caliper on a homemade lasercut flange problem solved and in a cheap way 4 piston calipers.... and slotted and vented discs.

Maybe I have to replace the studs in the hub because when I use a hat type disc the threads would be to short... I compared the offset of the original bolted-to-the-rear-of-the-hub disc and the hat type disc of the S13 and the difference in offset is just a millimeter give or take.

Second question: If I put this setup on the front and a nice disc setup on the rear axle would this be enough stopping power when I put a 1jz-gte engine in this car? And if not what would be a good brake setup?

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: FC calipers and S13 discs would this work?

Sounds like a good plan. However the details often make stuff like this more complicated.

Check that a flat flange for mounting the caliper would Work. Check that you have enough clearance behind the spokes of your wheel for the caliper (4 piston calipers stick further outboard than 1 or 2 piston jobs). Etc, etc.

Also if TA23 is the same as TA22 then they use small stub axles and bearings. So upgrading to a bigger strut could well be a good idea if your future holds a 1JZ. And then there's no point putting much effort into a brake upgrade on your current struts.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

lakaid, this sounds very much like what is on the front of my RA23. FC calipers over MPV ventilated discs. It's a hat type setup

Regrettably (or fortunately if you like) I didn't do the design work. Takai on here sold me the package. It consists of a custom bracket on RA23/28 struts. I did need to get longer studs too. I also needed to machine down the radius of the hub to fit the rotor. Cheap and simple.

In terms of "stopping power" I'm very happy with how they work, I'm sure others could offer a more informed view. Mine were approved by an engineer for being road registered with a 1g swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hen View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. However the details often make stuff like this more complicated.

Check that a flat flange for mounting the caliper would Work. Check that you have enough clearance behind the spokes of your wheel for the caliper (4 piston calipers stick further outboard than 1 or 2 piston jobs). Etc, etc.

Also if TA23 is the same as TA22 then they use small stub axles and bearings. So upgrading to a bigger strut could well be a good idea if your future holds a 1JZ. And then there's no point putting much effort into a brake upgrade on your current struts.
    What kind of struts would you advise me. the ones of a toyota cressida 1986 would they fit because i know one in the junkyard. and what kind of mastercilnder and brakebooster should i use,because i can imagine that the stock one will not be enough

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

lakaid14

Simpler plan for the struts would be stay with your ta23 struts and just fabricate your mounting plate to suit. The plate for my RA23 is not perfectly flat. There is a small offset of around 10mm from memory, but you'd need to measure for this to suit the TA23 strut and hub. (or if you have money the t3 ae86 strut changeover lets you use a big wilwood setup that is all ready to bolt on). As hen says the TA23 stub axle is smaller (I found this out the hard way and ended up just buying some RA struts and hubs before I bought my RA23).

I think there are likely to be a whole bunch of issues with LCA's etc if you go to a cressida strut. Your whole steering geometry will be changed significantly. If you are already to do a custom caliper bracket there is no real need to change the strut is there? (other than stub axel being smaller)

For your MC I think something like a GA70/JA70 supra MC is a bolt up as is some of the early eighties cressida MC. I have a hilux MC but I can't recall what exact model. Needs a few mods to the brake hardlines but nothing significant. These bolt up to a standard ra23/28 booster (the booster on my TA23 looked to be the same as on my RA23).

The standard booster is fine although some people have gone to a larger hilux booster. I'm currently running the standard booster. My pedal feel is quite stiff but I'm ok with that as I prefer it to spongy and a lot of pedal travel.

You really should start reading through the members rides threads. There are a LOT of really well done first gen celicas. While I'm very happy with how mine is mechanically, there are plenty of people who have gone to a lot more effort and have way cooler setups.

So i am finished with my brand new house so i have time to spend on my beloved celica! there are some change of plans. I bought a complete lexus pile of parts. (complete car without shell) for a laughing 200 euro's. I engineered my own brake caliper brackets ans mill them myself. But i still want to know if i ave to change my struts. i can buy TA40 struts. brand new even! would these fit or should i just use the original ones?