Thread: Scripting error

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Scripting error

Is this happening to anyone else? When using the "go to first new post" button, I get the following scripting error:

Code:
    Line: 323
    Char: 24
    Error: 'null' is null or not an object
    Code: 0
    URL: http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2976#post2976
    Hooray for useless error messages!

I understand the forum software is in the process of being upgraded, but I just wanted to make sure this issue is known.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Scripting error

to be honest, i can't even find the button
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Itīs working fine for me.
    The button is the light brown little square with an arrow pointing downwards on the left of a topicīs tittle.

Edit: this one!:

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Norbie, is this still happening?

I use that button heaps and have never seen an error.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Yup, still happens on my home and work PC. No such problem with other vbulletin forums.

This is the line causing the error, if it means anything to anyone:

Code:
    <body onload="if (is_ie || is_moz) { fetch_object('currentPost').scrollIntoView(!is_moz); }">
    I also noticed the stylesheet is included in the HTML source instead of being linked to an external css file. I know this isn't related to the above problem but it seems like an unnecessary waste of bandwidth - it's quite a lot of text to be including on every single page! Is there some special reason it's done this way?

What browser are you using?
    Do you use the same browser at home and at work?

I'll have a squiz through the options to see if vBulletin has an option to link to a css file.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

I'm using IE 6.0.2900 here at work, and probably something similar at home.

I've just checked on two other vbulletin forums (SupraForums.com.au and PerformanceForums.com.au), they both have the exact same script in the body tag but I don't get any errors?

Administrator 1st year Apprentice

Hmm... PerformanceForums is using a pretty old version of vBulletin. SupraForums doesn't display the version number.
    Did this start happening after the upgrade to 3.5.0? Or has it been happening for a while?
    Do you have strict security options set in your browser? Or any JavaScript blocking programs or anything like that?

I've partially done the css thing. But I need to alter the theme which I'm not keen to do. That's Rob's baby.
    When he gets time, I'll have him alter the theme to take advantage of the css files.

D'oh! Forgot that I was logged in as the admin to look at the css options.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    Did this start happening after the upgrade to 3.5.0? Or has it been happening for a while?
    I don't know when this upgrade happened, but yeah it only started occuring relatively recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by admin
    Do you have strict security options set in your browser? Or any JavaScript blocking programs or anything like that?
    Nope, nothing of that sort.

Some useful info in here, which suggests others are having the same problem:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archi.../t-107547.html

There's some talk about "modified" vbulletin installations causing issues like this. Have you guys been playing silly-buggers with the javascript? Did someone try to install a bleed valve and crank up the boost?

Interesting fix.

Might give it a go.

I don't think our installation is non-standard. Apart from the theme. Maybe Rob can shed more light on this?
    Max