Thread: ta22 auto tailshaft equivalants??

Default ta22 auto tailshaft equivalants??

Hey guys, i am wondering if there are any other equivalent to the ta22 auto tailshaft.

they are not so common now a days and i dont wanna pay an arm and a leg for them.

i am trying to put a w55 into my ta22.
    if someone has come across anything, help or advice would be awesome.

cheers everyone.

i have done a fair bit of searching but cant find anything on the forums, if i am mistaken please feel free to direct me to what i have missed, and i apologise for clogging up the system.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: ta22 auto tailshaft equivalants??

Quote Originally Posted by 79GT
    Hey guys, i am wondering if there are any other equivalent to the ta22 auto tailshaft.

they are not so common now a days and i dont wanna pay an arm and a leg for them.

i am trying to put a w55 into my ta22.
    if someone has come across anything, help or advice would be awesome.

cheers everyone.

i have done a fair bit of searching but cant find anything on the forums, if i am mistaken please feel free to direct me to what i have missed, and i apologise for clogging up the system.

Use a split tailshaft from a W50 equiped RAxx Celica. Toyota was even kind enough to fit the captive nuts into the tunnel for you. Just make sure your centre hanger bearing is in real good nick, when you collect the tailshaft.

Alternately, just fit the W5x yoke onto your TA22 tailshaft.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

mmm that is definately an option, although how expensive would it be to get it welded balanced.....and shortened. does anyone know what sort of price i would be looking at to get that done.

you mentioned the split tailshaft....what would i use at the back end, or would the rear from my standard be suitable. further input would be WICKED.

cheers Chuck

Resto Rodder Domestic Engineer GA61XX's Avatar

I've only fitted a W50 gear box to a TA22 & i used a TA22 Auto tail shaft as was the right length..

it will cost $400.oo for custom tail shaft...

measure the length from the box to the diff'
    find if you have mounts for split tail shaft..
    get lengths needed for splits

as you may be able to mix & match i have about 4 different front lengths & 3 rear...

cheers

PS. TA22 Auto is the way to go
    Project: '82, GA61 XX

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

79GT, sorry if I was a bit obtuse. The RA23/RA28 tailshaft, complete front to rear will fit. No fabrication required.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Pity you're in WA... I've got an auto TA22 tailshaft that I've carried around me to 4 different houses now that I've been trying to give away...
    I am the sun

DAM IT. sighhh. postage would be out of the question wouldnt it.

Hey guys, problem solved...all thanks to chucklandwehr. this right here is the good stuff.
    Cheers Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr
    Hi Jamie, I have modded heaps of Celica's over the years.

The slip yoke on the TA22 auto, is the same as the slip yoke for W50, W55, W57,W58.

The TA22 auto shaft actually has the wrong rear pinion flange, and will not bolt up to a TA22/RA23 diff. So you would need to change that bit of the tailshaft if you had the auto one.

The TA22 Celica was sold in many markets, and the floor pan was made with provision for mounting a centre hanger bearing, so the RA23/28 hanger bearing will bolt up.

The diff fitted to TA22, RA23, and RA28 with a manual transmission, is a "T" series, with a common pinion flange.

I have used TA22 auto shafts in RA23's to replace the 2 piece shaft. Simply because I had one, and it eliminated a potential failure point. So that tells me the length is correct.

So yoke is correct,
    Length is correct,
    Pinion flange is correct, and
    Hanger can be bolted up.

cheers Chuck.
    Hope this helps anyone trying to source, replace or convert there ta22. i might add that the ra2X tailshaft isincredibly more available in comparison to auto ta22 tailshafts (especially on the west coast) and that this information is no where to be found on the forums other than here. (to my knowledge) so thanks again chuck this info is the shiz.
    [/QUOTE]

Jamie
    Last edited by 79GT; 27-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Funny that as if you put a A40D auto into a MX13 mark2 you need a TA22 auto tailshaft , perfect length.
    Dave

thats it, perfect length, as long as you have the place to bolt the hanger to.