Thread: Full-variable output TPS - what cars ??

Default Full-variable output TPS - what cars ??

as in title...

just wondering if anyone knows what cars come with a full variable TPS (pot) versus the stepwise 3 position type (toyota) TPS.

i know nissan have one where the TPS has 2 looms coming out, one of which is full variable output designed for the auto box. its a bit bulky though. something smaller and neater would be good

here's the requirements of the TPS:

(please note - the range of motion (sweep) of the TPS mounted in my system will only be 55deg...)

The following conditions MUST be met:

1. Throttle is fully closed the output voltage MUST be in the range 0.4 volts to 1.8 Volts.

2. Throttle fully open the output voltage MUST be in the range 3.2 to 4.7 volts.

3. The difference between the voltage at the extremes of travel should be greater than 2.5 volts.

4. The voltage should increase smoothly with increasing throttle opening, there should be no dead spots in the total throttle travel.
    cheers
    ed

PS - this is the nissan TPS

../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Robots! dancing robots! Domestic Engineer gearb0x's Avatar

Default Re: Full-variable output TPS - what cars ??

Have a look at electronics suppliers too, eg http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...=4246718&N=401

They have several with 8mm D shafts that will do the job, on my 2TG im gutting the old switch type casing and mounting one of these inside it http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...=7006457&N=401

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Dear Ed,

Please find enclosed your due response to your TPS question.

*SMACK!!11*

Toyota TPS are fully variable you idiot, and fit all of your criteria.

Please read this article from Autoshop101: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h33.pdf

In particular, note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Autoshop101 article
    At idle, the voltage is approximately 0.6-0.9 volts on the signal wire. From this voltage, the ECM knows the throttle plate is closed. At wide open throttle, signal voltage is approximately 3.5-4.7 volts.
    ... just ignore the "IDL" pin on the TPS, this is just a switch to confirm throttle closed position for the ECU to think aboot.

Alternatively, you could also just say what your intended purpose is.

Otherwise, without that knowledge......

...... butt scratcher?!

intended purpose:

i need a full variable TPS signal, which, over a sweep of 55deg will give me an output voltage from 0.4 volts - 1.8 Volts (at idle) to 3.2 to 4.7 volts (at WOT)

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h33.pdf

according to this, it might just be possible... but ill have to run a multi meter over one to see what impedance i get with that ROM

cheers
    ed
    Last edited by ed; 20-02-2006 at 11:06 AM.
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

7KE toyota are DEFINITELY full variable...

as for your range of motion, you can get different sweep rotoary motion sensors aroudn the place...
    as for changing the voltage... a TPS is basically a position reference where the voltage is proportional to position.. RELATIVE to 5V..
    you might be able to get away with just upping voltage to sayy 6 or 7V (just using a voltage reg, or something tehWitzl will recommend) and then you increase your partial range of movements voltage range....

you can't hook one up to one of the TB shafts?

ahh, edit: chucks links are teh win...a bunch of the spectrol vishay ones was ordered by MS kiddies when they were on speeshul for $37 each, i didn't realise they went to 13.5V (they are perfect when used with 5V input also), so just grab one of them and up input voltage = teh win
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

meh... why pay for vishay??

Ed,
    have you tried using a Toyota TPS, or measuring the range of motion for given outputs? Like stewart has suggested, you can increase the reference voltage (VCC) to a higher value to give the required output voltage range for given TPS resistance within range of motion. Quite easy really - its just a voltage divider circuit.

..... again... get yourself a farken multimeter!!!!
    ...... butt scratcher?!