Thread: Fuel pump & surge tank Size

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Fuel pump & surge tank Size

Can anyone help me out with selecting the correct size lift, HP fuel pumps and surge tank for my 1jz-gte powered VL, I don't what to put these items inthe boot either so size does matter.
    Engine is stock JZZ30 and i currently have the NA VL fuel pumps running the car, but I am unsure if this will be enough.

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Default Re: Fuel pump & surge tank Size

Depends if your current external pump is original from factory, or has been replaced at some stage. The original external pump in the VL was different between turbo & N/A, but the bosch replacement listed in the catalogue is a generic pump (call it VL turbo) that is used for both. This pump will supply roughly enough for 250kw at the wheels.

If you plan mods for more power later, then upgrading the external pump to a larger bosch unit (even as big as the 600hp 044 if your target requires) is easy enough, still with the standard setup (intank helper pump, but no surge tank), or go for a boot mounted surge tank straight up if you have concerns about starvation with low fuel/long corners.

With the surge tank you could still use the factory in-tank pump as your lift pump, provided that the return line from the fuel rail goes back to the surge tank, not the main tank.

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

I got a 1jz and am using a 044, its big over kill, but i plan mods for future and dont want to have to upgrade/replace later.

I have mounted it under the car, and that should be easy for you since thats where they are standard...
    Surge tank wise, most VL Turbo guys i know run them in the boot, but if you want to go under car, if mine can be done, yours should be easy...

Maybe talk to 'The Real Roadrunner', he fabricated mine and it looks tops... So he'll be able to do something similar for you no doubt about it!
    lol, but talk to him after he's finished mine

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

for surge tank size.. how long would be the maximum time you would accelerate for?

assuming that your lift pump is sucking air, and that the main pump is doing it's full volume at pressure (what is flow of the the pump at boost pressure?)

say for a walbro 250L/hr.. it flows something like 200L/hr at pressure
    so thats 3.3L/min
    so a 1L surge tank would be enough for 20 seconds without the lift pump getting anything into the surge tank at all (assuming it was full to begin with)

tweak numbers for your pump...
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 14-02-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: what were those units again?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas

say for a walbro 250L/min.. it flows something like 200L/hr at pressure
    so thats 3.3L/min
    so a 1L surge tank would be enough for 20 seconds without the lift pump getting anything into the surge tank at all (assuming it was full to begin with)
    wow, thats a good fuel pump!
    hello

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic auto351's Avatar

If you are looking for a pre made surge-tank this is what is fitted to my RA28 its a converted mist separator, it is made to operate under pressure & is air tight.
    It also has a window in the bottom were you can check the fuel level, well at least you can see if its empty.

This was running my 18RGEU for years before my rebuild.

these are available in differant sizes, and mounting hardware is also available.
    Last edited by auto351; 22-02-2008 at 07:47 PM.