Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redrilling Flywheel

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Redrilling Flywheel

Hey guys,

I have been giving good thought about doing a 7AGTE over the 4AGTE i have been gathering parts for ... i fairly recently bought an OS-giken twin-plate clutch, and then it spent a few weeks down at a clutch joint getting resplined for a W58 ... obviously, i want to use this clutch

Is it possible and/or safe to have the 8 flywheel holes welded/other up and redrilled to suit a 7A crank?

Thanks
    Seamus

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Default Re: Redrilling Flywheel

I wouldn't. Get a custom flywheel made up if you must use that clutch. I don't know what it's worth but Starfire on here had one made up for his 4AGE Tercel.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

you may be able to use the friction disc, but i wouldnt (reweld and) redrill the flywheel.

you may even be able to get away with using the same pressure plate, depends on the diameter of the friction disc of course.

what flywheel do you have?
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

What is going to make the difference is the clutch diameter. But either way you will be able to still use the clutch with a 7A. Is it 200mm (older AE86/AE82 size) or 212mm (newer AE92/AW11 size)?

If it is 212mm then your in luck, because thats what a 7A uses. Get a stock or aftermarket 7A flywheel & pressure plate. If its the smaller 200mm then buy a 4AC, the right 4AFE (I believe some are 212mm) or the right 3TC flywheel (I know for sure some 3TC flywheels are 225mm) and pressure plate. It will be 200mm and have the six bolt flywheel pattern you need, but aftermarket flywheel sources are limited.

EDIT: Thought about this some more... You could always sell the clutch, buy a 225mm 3TC flywheel and then just get a Toyota Mark 2 clutch that comes in 225mm splined to the W58 already. Here's one source for it: http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php...8&cat=0&page=1. Which is what Im considering doing because Im going with a W58 and 7A, but dont really want to have to make a custom clutch, or try and get the old one re-padded everytime I burn one up. This would give an OEM replacement options on clutches, flyhwheels and pressure plates. Rare, because of their age but still OEM replacement.

So you actually have 3 choices.
    Last edited by turbo4agte; 11-02-2008 at 03:50 AM.

I have the lovely looking gold twin-plate from OS-giken, the 200mm variety i'm afraid..

I think i might have to get a 4AC flywheel and see what the local clutch shop can do, hopefully they can put the "posts" on the flywheel that the pressure plate bolts to (so there is room for the plates)

We shall see i guess?

If anyone else has any bright ideas, do not hesitate to say! Thanks for the help so far

wouldnt the PP go straight on to the 4AC flywheel?
    www.vicdrift.com

formerly shinybluesteel

bloody good question, looking again at the clutch i have here the flywheel isn't all that excitingly different to a single-plate...

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

If the clutch and pressure plate kit is made for a stock 4AG flywheel (which I assume it is), it will fit on a stock or aftermarket 4AC/4AF/3TC flywheel.

How much was the kit BTW? Im looking to build a very high powered 7A and need a pressure plate and clutch that can witstand 400whp.

No the flywheel isn't standard unfortunately, comes with part of the OS-giken kit

The clutch (new) is $2000-2500, i bought mine for 550 from yahoojp, plus an extra 150 to get the splines changed.

I really dont want to change the clutch, as i have had many dramas with single plates, and i think its a shame to have to sell off such an awesome clutch..

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

its an OS giken flywheel isn't it? which should be a billet steel flywheel from memory.

how far different is the PCD from 4a to 7a? or is one 8 bolt and the other 6 bolt?

custom flywheels aren't to expensive and im sure they're a shitload cheaper than new legs

for the sake of $400 odd id be getting a new billet flywheel done, they should be able to copy your OS and just put the correct PCD in the new one. is the OS a cage type or post type? ie what stops the centre plate from moving?

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

yep OS flywheel

current is 8, i want to go to 6 (7AFE crank).

im not at home at the moment, so i cant look at the clutch, but i *think* it is post type .. someone else who has the same breed of clutch may be able to confirm

so im so far looking at a modified(?) 4AC clutch, and a custom billet

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

Whoa... big money.

I think I'd rather chew thru a clutch and keep replacing it as the car will mostly be a weekend racer. The driveability on the twin plate is probably too annoying.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Twin plates usually come with their own custom flywheels, and are a little different to a normal clutch, see pics! You can't just use the guts of the twin plate on a normal flywheel (without serious mods/work I suspect).

No bolty to stock flywheel...

I take The Real Roadrunner's view, legs ain't cheap!

(He doesn't have this exact type, but the workings are pretty well the same...)!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

that pic is a cage type, if its like this they are easy to setup.

if its post type they get really rattly if somone doesn't set the mill up perfectly for drilling teh holes
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

oh twinplate, how did i miss that?

yeah please ignore everything i have said in this thread!
    www.vicdrift.com

formerly shinybluesteel