Thread: HELP..what do i do 4agte

senior backyard mechanic Grease Monkey legend's Avatar

Default HELP..what do i do 4agte

Im building a 4agte atm to go in my ae82 its a AE92GZE map cas smallport running t28 with eboost,267 cams,7m inj,w2a
    So can i install it and run it in on the std ae82 ecu and dizzy and injectors running 2-3 psi of boost the reason being i want to get it passed by engineering and emisions std's before i put a aftermarket ecu in

1/ i want to run 2-3 psi apparently its no good for a turbo to run zero boost is this true
    2/ dont want to pay for the gze loom,ecu to be installed when i am putting a aftermarket ecu in anyway might be autronic or haltech haven't decided
    3/ So i can run it in properly and drive it to get the aftermarket ecu done and engineering/emmission's approval

Would the std ae82 ecu,dizzy,injectors be ok for the motor to run it in on as i'm worried about the AFR's
    do u think it will pass emissions
    WHAT WOULD U DO?
    cheers mik
    Brain numb from searching and reading

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: HELP..what do i do 4agte

I would say that emissions will be all over the place because the ae82 4age ecu cant read boost accurately.

Is the engineer going to look for the ecu and check it right out?

If not just leave the old ecu in there wire it to the igniton so that if unplugged the engine will stall but hide the aftermarket ecu well.

Other than that take the wastegate actuator off and run the turbo on 0 psi. I did this when i first got my motor cranking over and a few trips around the block.

Now 1 year later the turbo boosts at 20psi no worries.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

so can u run a turbo for a 1500km run in with 0 boost without damage and on zero boost
    will the motor be ok
    if i can get it to pass with the factory ecu then i'l change it later to a well hidden aftermarket ecu or should i just get the aftermarket ecu hide it well and run it in on that

thanks cuzzo rep

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

haha well 1500km run in is alot longer than i ever did so im not experienced in that field.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

running the turbo at 0psi won't hurt anything, why would it? the wastegate is simply open all the time.
    ae92 4agte (TD04L)

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Exactly, what you think your turbo is doing when you are off the throttle or reading atmospheric pressure (0 on your gauge)?

OP: You aren't going to be able to run more than atmospheric pressure on your AE82 because the MAP sensor only reads vacuum. If you have an AFM I don't know how this works. Having the turbo there and plumbed in can affect your AFR even when you aren't on WOT.

In your place I would stick the stock exhaust back on and take it in for the emissions test then go about the turbo conversion. Part 3 there can be done with the turbo back on if you simply limp it down to the dyno/workshop, just leave the inlet plumbing off so you aren't pushing air into the intake from the turbo.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cam_ra40
    running the turbo at 0psi won't hurt anything, why would it? the wastegate is simply open all the time.

Because running a turbo with no load ( or ability to create pressure ) will cause it to over spin and reach rpm that it would usually never see. This can cause bearing failure, seal failure and other problems.

Its something i wouldnt do

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

There's no way a stock ECU will pass emissions with bigger injectors + all the other mods.
    Stick an aftermarket ECU in it, get it tuned, pass the emissions test, and have the ECU included in your engineers report. That's what I did.
    The emissions people don't care what ECU you use, it's up to the engineer & whether he is happy with it. Tell him your ECU has been locked & the tune won't change, or whatever it takes to make them happy.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

edit: wot he said /\/\

why not..... install a cat and tune the aftermarket ECU on a low boost setting (wastegate open).. and make it pass emissions. not like it is that difficult....

there is absolutely no point in getting the car passed and engineered, and then altering it.. as the engineering cert will no longer be valid, and in event of being pulled over by RTA or EPA or having accident.. you will be in trouble anyway
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

exactly, have you spoken to your engineer regarding the aftermarket ecu? you should have no issues with it if it is tuned to successfully meet emissions. and realsitically you SHOULD be running vehicle that passes emissions testing so wheres the harm in tuning passing and getting it all certified in one fell swoop ?

haven't spoken to the engineer's yet but u have given me a new ideas for emmisions & the turbo and a big thanks to u all for that
    will start ringing engineers soon as

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Because running a turbo with no load ( or ability to create pressure ) will cause it to over spin and reach rpm that it would usually never see. This can cause bearing failure, seal failure and other problems.

Its something i wouldnt do
    I did it with my CT9, stick a cover on the compressor outlet to act as a restrictor. As long as you don't drive the car as you normally would or wind out the revs you shouldn't have a problem. Turbos have such a wide range of revs, there's no way gentle driving with no vacuum and small throttle openings (and so less exhaust air) is going to make it overspeed. I kept it below 3000 and never at WOT and drove the car for a week like that, had no issues.

It also wasn't the first time someone had done it like that, I've heard of people doing it before to limp to dynos and such.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG