Thread: Blown 3SFE - Possible GE swap?

Forum Member

Default Blown 3SFE - Possible GE swap?

Hey all,
    I'm a long time reader and now first time poster, hope someone may be able to help me out.
    Me and some m8s were driving home from QLD and the unmentionable happened, i threw the big end bearing, so needless to say the engine is dead, as i had to drive a number of k's to get mobile reception.

Pretty much id like to know how easy it would be to do a 3SGE conversion to the SV21 Camry, and if anyone has got a Gen1 lying around from a conversion and it's in reasonable nick please let me know.

At this stage i'm just throwing it out there to see what people think. The car was bought new by my parents and at this stage still belongs to them, it shockingly only has 145500 on the clock and i guess we'd like it if it didnt have to go to the scrap heap. I was thinking with a GE it might be a nice daily for the next couple of years, so let me know what u guys think.
    Matt

Junior Member Grease Monkey medwin46's Avatar

Default Re: Blown 3SFE - Possible GE swap?

Hi mate

Im pretty sure its a fairly straight forward swap. Do not quote me but im fairly certain the gearbox is a straight bolt up affair, engine mounts should all be the same. Again, do not quote me, but i think someone else will clarify this in a minute. Obviously you'd need to run the GE loom and ecu, and have to splice this into your existing loom, but all in all i think it'd be a good first time conversion.

Forum Member

Yeah, i was feeling pretty confident that it could be done easily, i guess the main question is, how cheaply? Like is it going to be worth it, a rebuild of the FE would probably cost in upwards of 1500 and if i can find a GE cheap id like to do it. A new gearbox would be good too as the current one crunches betweem 2nd and 3rd.
    I helped a m8 out with a 2T - 2TG conversion which was a bit of fun, but i can well imagine that this will be slightly more complicated what with me having to worry about looms and electronics etc.

Slanted Photographer Automotive Encyclopaedia LeaThaL's Avatar

hey dude i did a simlar swap in my celica as in taking out the 5sfe and putting in a 3sfe, you shouldnt have any problems with the fitting as if you use the same box and mounts it will all just bolt in fine, the old issuse you would have is the wiring as i dont know anything about ge wiring, id say check your engine plugs and wires and compare them to something that has a 3sge in it, when i did my swap i used all the orignal shit off the 5s 'the inlet and exhaust mainfold, the dizzy, the water housing, gearbox, clutch etc, i dont see why you cant do this again but dont quote me on it lol

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Will bolt in ok, can use existing gearbox, clutch, flywheel, driveshafts

Wiring will take a bit of work, but would be easily do-able

Fuel lines would probably bolt right up (not 100% sure on that)

A complete gen 1 3sge in decent order should be had for easily <500 bucks
    I am the sun

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

gen1 and gen2 3s-ge will bolt in fine. the celica box will go in fine as it is the same mounting points.

fuel lines may need to be extended but thats easy.
    PS pump you can use existing lines
    Aircon, take current one off and move to the side then rebolt back on to 3s-ge. no need to undo lines.
    water lines should be fine as well. nothing different there.

btw manual or auto? manual would be better imo.

gen3 or gen4 will be a pain somewhat as they have the oil filter at the bottom of the sump which will foul on your DS front swaybar mount. you'll then need to slightly cut some metal out of the mount (which is stupidly thick anyhow) and get a side outlet oil filter relocation adaptor.

Where abouts in Vic are you?