Thread: toyota landcruiser bundera turbo choice

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default toyota landcruiser bundera turbo choice

hey all,

just looking for some information/advice on a toyota landcruiser bundera (lj70). its got a 2lt engine in it and the turbo is stuffed. toyota quoting 1900 bucks for a new one. any idea, what could be used aftermarket-wise?

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: toyota landcruiser bundera turbo choice

disco potato? (gt28rs). generally highly regarded on a 2lt engine, but I assume the bundy is diesel? not sure on the difference.

plus, you're looking at custom manifold (= $$$)

or at the least an adaptor plate
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    disco potato? (gt28rs). generally highly regarded on a 2lt engine, but I assume the bundy is diesel? not sure on the difference.

plus, you're looking at custom manifold (= $$$)

or at the least an adaptor plate
    By 2lt I think he means 2L-T, which is indeed a diesel, and not 2 litres in capacity but 2.4 litres
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

dynamic turbo systems makes a kit for them, trust me when i say spend the $$$ now and enjoy the power increase and trouble free running it will deliver.

diesel tuning still has many unknowns so its easier to just get something that you know works from the beginning.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Balloon Slayer Backyard Mechanic jimmmayyy's Avatar

Diesels are all about airflow, the more air you can pump into them the more power you will make. Using a turbo designed for a high-rpm petrol engine will NOT give you the results you want. Diesel turbos have much different turbine profiles to work with the lower gas velocities and pulses found in a diesel engine.

I'm with roadrunner here, use a kit from someone that knows. The biggest issue with diesels is fuel mixtures, they enjoy a very lean burn. Too rich and you will burn exhaust valves and your turbine in no time whatsoever. An EGT probe will be a good investment for tuning.

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

I'm with the other guys on this one too.
    There are plenty of major diesel tuners out there, and most will have something for the 2LT.
    Depending on where you are, just look some up and ask around.
    Dynamic, Denco, and Detcom diesel are probably the first 3 that come to mind, with Denco being the one I have heard the best things about, and have been the best in giving info when I've been speaking to them. I have not bought one of their kits though, just because of my own situation.
    Should be able to find something around.

sir Grease Monkey

i have made several kits now for 2.4 and 2.8 hiluxes and 2.5 navaras using standard garrett t25 turbo,s off ca18 nissans. they work a treat on diesels and are cheap to buy and a full rebuild by wayne mankhen is 600. adding an intercooler + 3" exhaust and screwing a bit more diesel into them livens them up even more. but you will need a couple of adaptors if you are using the std toyota manifolds. cheers bigwad

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

There's a surprising number of 'diesel people' out there - some of who know their stuff, and some of who sure as hell don't. Ask anyone you're thinking of using about results they've had before, and make sure the fuelling is altered along with the turbo. WIth a decent intercooler, decent exhaust, lots of boost and correct fuelling, you'll be able to get it going quite nicely.

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

fuling shouldnt be too huge an issue given its a 2L-T to start with so the injector pump should be suitable already it may just need a bit of a tune but this is more of a replacement of factory turbo as opposed to turboing a non-turbo engine.

i *think* the turbo on the laster 1KZTE engines is a CT12 (?) id almost hazzard a guess that the turbo on the 2LT is a Ct family turbo as well. these are fairly striaght forward to rebuild iirc. either that or they are fiarly common so i couldnt imagine too hard to find replacements.