Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1UZ Mods Thread

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: The 1UZ Mods Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    Could you upgrade it to coil packs with a new ECU?
    yes - refer to CrUZida's post above about ignitions setups with waste-spark or full sequential spark.

Junior Member Grease Monkey CoronaC's Avatar

Thanks for that info cruz, yeah that was the site i saw on lextreme or clubsoarer, they seam to have been offline doing updates for a week or two now (since i first found out about the site anyway)

When you say...
    My rule of thumb, if you change the cams, piss the AFM off.
    Do you basically mean that after getting the cams get a stand alone ecu and not a piggyback unit?

Would you still be able to run and properly tune a piggyback unit with cams or is it just better to go stand alone unit to control engine and stock ecu to control g/box?

What would be a good stand alone ecu to go for if i was to look into getting one to control the engine while stock ecu controlled the g/box and what type of price range would it be in for purchase/install/tune?

I have no idea when it comes to ecu/electrics (if didn't notice )

As for the exhaust, I've been looking on lextreme for other peoples setups that give better power output, but without being too loud (I hate loud exhausts) and if the celsior headers can support up to 200rwkw then i would leave them be for time being.

How would this setup be...
    Stock Extractors -> 2xHigh flow cats -> X or Y pipe ? -> 2xResinators (maybe?) -> 2xRear mufflers

Dont know if this would be a good setup or not

Have you got cams for your engine yet cruz? if you did go with the kelford cams which one would you look at getting? custom made ones to suit your engine better or just their mild cams they have on their site?

Cheers
    Chris

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Do you basically mean that after getting the cams get a stand alone ecu and not a piggyback unit?

Would you still be able to run and properly tune a piggyback unit with cams or is it just better to go stand alone unit to control engine and stock ecu to control g/box?
    The reason I say to ditch the AFM, is that when you look at the cross sectional area of it, its not extremely large.
    While this is more then enough to flow the air for the stock cams, as soon as you increase the airflow it will become a restriction.
    Sure, you can run big cams with the AFM and a piggyback, but don't expect the same gains as if you went stand alone and did away with the AFM.

What would be a good stand alone ecu to go for if i was to look into getting one to control the engine while stock ecu controlled the g/box and what type of price range would it be in for purchase/install/tune?
    All the ECU's I mentioned above can do it.
    Microtech is about the $1100 range, Wolf/Haltech about the $1500ish from memory, Link somewhere there too, Autronic about $2k, and MoTeC a bit more than that.
    This is assuming you retain the stock ignition setup. If you decide to go CDI or CoP, costs will go up accordingly.

All will be about the $400ish range to install, providing you stick with the stock ignition. Anything extra or anything tricky will cost more obviously.
    Tuning will be in the 3-4hrs @ $90-$110/hr range, depending on where you go.

Most places will install and tune a Microtech for under $2k.

Now, this doesn't take into account retaining the stock ecu for autobox control.
    As I've never done this I'd only be guessing as to the difficulty of it.
    AFAIK you just have to leave some sensors connected to the stock ecu (things like TPS, Coolant Temp etc) in order for the ecu to correctly change gears.

How would this setup be...
    Stock Extractors -> 2xHigh flow cats -> X or Y pipe ? -> 2xResinators (maybe?) -> 2xRear mufflers
    X pipe or a pair of Y pipes are up to you.
    With and X pipe you'll need 2 resonators.
    With a Y pipe you only need one, but you need to buy 2 Y pipes.
    High Flow cats are your call, I didn't bother with mine as I don't believe they would be of any benefit.

Have you got cams for your engine yet cruz? if you did go with the kelford cams which one would you look at getting? custom made ones to suit your engine better or just their mild cams they have on their site?
    No cams ordered yet, funds do not allow such this at this stage.
    Still unsure whether to just get one of there tried and tested grinds, or go for something custom.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Nim's Avatar

If you really don't wanna go new ECU with MAP sensor, you could always upgrade the AFM. Questions is, are there any options for a larger AFMs that are easy to fit to a 1UZ?

Although from what I've heard, generaly a chip is a waste of time, as eventualy you'll need the fine tuning of a programable ECU. While it's a big expense up front, at least if you upgrade anything else, you can get the ECU re-tuned for extra power. Also I hear some piggybacks are just a hassle, or don't work as well as an ECU anyway (could be wrong, it's all second hand knowledge).
    Daily: DC2 Integra VTiR :: 96kw @7300rpm - 132nm @6300rpm
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    If you really don't wanna go new ECU with MAP sensor, you could always upgrade the AFM. Questions is, are there any options for a larger AFMs that are easy to fit to a 1UZ?

Although from what I've heard, generaly a chip is a waste of time, as eventualy you'll need the fine tuning of a programable ECU. While it's a big expense up front, at least if you upgrade anything else, you can get the ECU re-tuned for extra power. Also I hear some piggybacks are just a hassle, or don't work as well as an ECU anyway (could be wrong, it's all second hand knowledge).
    I disagree anyone that saw the results from the Xede piggyback that was installed and tuned at SAS posted by Rod would agree that they can gain significant power just with a piggyback and tune.

A gain of 26rwkw is nothing to sneeze at for 1600 bucks.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...highlight=Xede
    If in doubt power out

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

if you wanted to stay with AFM (for it's superior flow measurement ), then any decent ECU should be able to use the output from any AFM (assuming it is just a 0-5V output) in place of a MAP. so then you just pick your AFM by size so it doesn't max out and doesn't restrict as much and away you go...
    EFI systems are simple when you look at each piece individually
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

The 1UZ is the biggest AFM in Toyotas range (1JZGTE VVTi may be of similar size, not sure what the 1GZFE runs, but we'll forget that).
    And inorder to use another companies AFM you are going to need a serious piggyback (is it the GReddy Emanage? or another that lets you use another AFM).
    Either way, after the costs are added up, its cheaper to go standalone.

As a rule of thumb, Toyota ecu's can't be 'chipped'.
    You are probably thinking of all those 165kW V8 commodore guys who get the 185kW 'chip'
    The Delco ECU is very much a different style, and as such is able to be chipped/flashed/reprogrammed.

Some Nissans can also be chipped, but Toyotas need to be pulled apart, tweak/modded, and even then its only very very few places that can do it.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    I disagree anyone that saw the results from the Xede piggyback that was installed and tuned at SAS posted by Rod would agree that they can gain significant power just with a piggyback and tune.

A gain of 26rwkw is nothing to sneeze at for 1600 bucks.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...highlight=Xede
    Yeah, that's actualy pretty impressive. How flexable is it though? I mean, I don't suppose the Xede would handle MAP? So that's out, and you'd need to stick to the stock AFM (which Cruizida said is a big restriction). *shrug* that's a pretty big improvement though. Although, saying it's only from the piggyback is a bit misleading. The exhaust and intake would have something to do with it too (ie, you wouldn't get anywhere near that gain if the engine was bog stock).

P.S. oooh, I think I'm mixing my terms up, perhaps I mean ECU piggyback.
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Nim read again it was dynoed before and after the piggyback install hence the other mods had already been taken into the equation bar a further minor gain with tuning, so majority of the 26rwkw gain was a direct result of the piggyback and tuning.
    If in doubt power out

A stand alone or piggyback & tune just takes full advantages of your modifications. The only way to get a gain on a stock engine is if the stock ECU is tuned badly, or perhaps tuned a bit safe (to run rich up high etc).

I'd like to see a stock 1UZ-FE with just the ECU chip & tune.

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

i'm doing a conversion and i'm undecided whether to keep the standard ecu or upgrade.

so would it be easier to go straight to standalone, rather than wiring up the standard ecu then changing it to standalone? pricewise and timewise for the tuner, i mean.

i just think it's silly paying $1600 for a piggyback when you can get a standalone for $2000, but if i want to keep my auto, then it'd be cheaper to get the piggyback? i'm not doin anything costly like cams etc..
    beer me!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

"1UZ in a MX22, damn, shoulda went 1JZ! What was i thinking?" - You'll know what you're thinking when you take it for a drive and hear that noise.

You have to decide what your ultimate plan is. You're either going to stick with a standard ECU for a while, or you're going to go standalone. If a couple of months down the track you're going to go standalone, there is no point doing everything twice. That said, if you want to remain auto, a piggyback might be a good option.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

yeah i'm keeping it auto, so i guess i really don't have another choice, except the expensive one! what about tranmission controllers? has anybody got anything to say on them?
    beer me!

Manual tranny controller's are ~$300ish (ie you push buttons to change gear)

Full auto controllers, I only know of one, and thats fully programable, but its like $1000.

You can retrofit a UZS131 tranny controller (its the only one that can control the A341E).

Anyway, I thought you were going manual?
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

yeah, was gonna, but i was gonna get it running first and do it later, but now i think i'll just leave it auto. i can't do much on it now anyway cuz i broke my arm. it's uch a bad break that i probly can't drive a manual for a year!

i'll post pics of the x-rays when i get a chance, but not in here, this thread needs to keep clean for all the 1UZ hoons!

back on that subject, will the crown controller be fine then? cuz my box is a a340e, not 341?

i don't think it matters cuz i'm not gonna modify the engine much, i was just askin if i have troubles.
    beer me!