Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The I busted my 1G thread

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Default The I busted my 1G thread

After my recent scare with the 1G I have noticed there are plenty of broken 1G's lying around and thought it would be a good idea if what parts failed could be idetified so those of us still with them knew what to expect and possibly prevent.

For this to be a worthwhile exercise we will need to know what level of development the engine was at, how much boost was being used and of course what you were doing to make it break. And of course what version of 1G it was.

Chances are more than 50% of the failures are a direct result of being asked to do more than was realistic but hey all accurate info is good.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Night Rider-TA23's Avatar

Default Re: The I busted my 1G thread

Subscribed

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Only damage to date has been a BHG. I think this is partly to do with it sitting around for 5 years before I fitted it. Head was warped, had to be replaced, lucky I had a spare.

Was making around 164rwkw at ~16psi at the time. Was a Gen2 1GGTE running a Gen3 ECU although I suspect the problem was there from not long after getting it running, it just got worse.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic VasH's Avatar

Blew a head gasket on a gen2 stock boost and its an auto, it happened just after a 600km trip so either that long trek on the old girl was the cause

I might of pushed her a bit while i was over taking a few road trains

It was on number six piston too ive noticed a few other 1gs happening in the same place, coincidence or maybe an issue with them?
    1989 JZZ20 Soarer, 1JZGTE - The Project
    1984 YN57 Hilux, 4Y - The Daily

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

VasH,

The 1G's run a composite style head gasket so its not surprising allot of them blow head gaskets not long after being installed. When they are sitting in storage the headgaskets can soften from being left sit in the coolant and that of course can weeken them.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

i now have a 1G-GTE sitting awaiting the transplant - no coolant. Are you suggesting that i'm a good candidate for a BHG? If so, is there anything to do now to check?
    1. There's no point arguing with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
    2. Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

I spun a big end bearing when my oil pickup got blocked. I had to remove my sump to fix a crack and used 'sump sealant' that just never went off. The sealant eventually mixed in with the oil (after bout 1000k's). Its was a gen 3 making 180rwkw and it would still be going strong if it wasnt for the crack in the sump

It had a fully counterweighted crank so I have been building it up with the earlier rods and have just learnt that the early rods I bought, a few are bent. Just another kick in the guts, im ready to chuck it in. I hate cars...
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    The 1G's run a composite style head gasket so its not surprising allot of them blow head gaskets not long after being installed. When they are sitting in storage the headgaskets can soften from being left sit in the coolant and that of course can weeken them.
    This was backed up by the dude who skimmed my Gen3 head ready for replacement. He said the composite gaskets start to "rot" when they sit around for so long and once you start putting some pressure on them and heat cycling them they fail.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    VasH,

ah ok well thats good to know, ive lost a bit of faith in my car since that happened and with my drive to brisbane coming up that was something that was worrying me but since its only been 7000km since the new head gasket, i guess i wouldnt have to worry

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

on my first soarer

1G number 1 = blown head gasket (bad, blew my heater core to bits)
    1G number 2 = big end bearings farked out (the motor was dropped at the wreckers and bent sump and pickup...only sump was replaced)
    1G number 3 = blown head gasket (not bad, just used coolant and got a bit hot after a good flogging eventually blew my radiator apart and ran on 5 after 8 months)

new soarer

1G number 4 = going strong up untill I removed it...seeing my track record with them I thought it best to remove it and sell it before it turned into a devil engine and imploded taking my car with it
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Toyota fanatic Grease Monkey Gttwinturbomk3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VasH
    ah ok well thats good to know, ive lost a bit of faith in my car since that happened and with my drive to brisbane coming up that was something that was worrying me but since its only been 7000km since the new head gasket, i guess i wouldnt have to worry
    I was wondering is there some sort of metal gasket that you can get for them, maybe a hks one or something?

The only real problem ive had with mine so far over the last couple of years is the crankshaft pulley falling of! Apparently over time this is another common problem that occurs to 1ggtes. That was when i decided that it would be a good idea to do the timing belt, tensioners etc as well.
    It was a pain in the arse that, because i was cruising along and then next minute every damb red light was showing up on the dash So i pulled over (of course) and had a look under there and sore that my pulley was gone and the belts as well
    So back up the road i went with the thing starting to get very hot, (no water pump) and found it sitting on the side of the road and it was stuffed. So anyway i only just managed to get home about five minutes away, otherwise it would have got to hot and i would of had to get it towed! I was lucky that i was close to home!

So new pulley and crankshaft needed machined (I should have got on to the problem when i saw that the pulley was wobbling instead of ignoring it)
    and timing belt etc all came to a total of 1500 bucks!

Thats been my only 1g problem though.
    Last edited by Gttwinturbomk3; 10-01-2008 at 03:49 PM.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

1, GEN: 2 head gasket, MAJORLY overheated due to faulty temp gauge on the freeway, NO COMPRESSION AT ALL....

2, GEN 3: spun no4 ROD bearing, CRANK scored with hairline cracks, gt3071 running 12psi, DURING BURNOUT COMPETITION, constant 6500-7000rpm while doing circles for 30seconds,.... 1g oiling problems and moron driver ( me )

3 (did not use motor) GEN 2 keyway floged out to buggery! would have needed to be welded, balanced, machined and new key way ground, damage to crank timing gear also.

4 (did not use motor) GEN 2 worn rings atleast, rest of motor clean.

blake

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    on my first soarer

1G number 1 = blown head gasket (bad, blew my heater core to bits)
    1G number 2 = big end bearings farked out (the motor was dropped at the wreckers and bent sump and pickup...only sump was replaced)
    1G number 3 = blown head gasket (not bad, just used coolant and got a bit hot after a good flogging eventually blew my radiator apart and ran on 5 after 8 months)

new soarer

1G number 4 = going strong up untill I removed it...seeing my track record with them I thought it best to remove it and sell it before it turned into a devil engine and imploded taking my car with it
    all of my broken ones were running stock boost and no mods apart from a catback exhaust...
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

no more HKS MHG's available, 6BOOST and FORCEFED6 bought the last few.

i hear the sump is a PITA to take off but would it be worth trying to clean the oil pickup before i go on my long trip?