Thread: turbo advice

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice elbak67's Avatar

Default turbo advice

I am currently overhauling a ra 28 with a 1ggte engine. the engine is stock at the moment but i have decided to chase a bit more power. not being familiar with the g series and not being a mechanic i am at mercy of the tuner who have recommended a new garrett gt30, stand alone mapping and a new clutch to handle the new power . after reading through a lot of threads and seeing a few of you have went for single turbo and haven't had great increases in power and in some cases the existing twin turbo set up has not been far of the mark . I have 170rwkw at the moment and i feel to justify the cash i need to spend on new turbo, mani, dump pipe and clutch ect i would be looking to achieve 220rwkw(is this realistic?) I think the cash would better kept for another project if anything less was achieved. its not that I'm tight its just want a decent bang for buck!
    I see a few of you have went for a gt35 , the advice i got was go for the 30 as it has less lag but lag isn't a prob for me as the car will be used as a weekend hack for shows and a bit of fun at the track. I was also told i would need to upgrade the clutch to handle the power increase. The tuner does know abit or two about jap cars as he runs a 1400 hp supra but this is the first 1g he has seen so thats why im posting this thread as it looks like there are more 1g,s in Oz than rg,s!!!Any feedback would be appreciated as
    you guys are the mutts nuts when iy comes to the 1gs
    I forgot to mention i live in Scotland so parts for the 1gs are as rare as honest politicians!!!!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: turbo advice

220rwkw will be a walk in the park for a 1G with a GT30 and proper engine management. Forget about the GT35, it's way too big for a 2 litre engine and the lag will be silly.

Yes you will probably need an upgraded clutch for a significant power increase like that, but it wouldn't have to be anything extreme.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

gt30, i made 195rwkw on 12psi, WITH standard ecu/inj/afm (at midday in 40degree heat....)

you will need to upgrade to 7mgte 440 injectors also if you want it to run 220,

manifold will need to be custom, unless you want to get raped paying for a HKS manifold (they come in a CAST, and spagetti type, if you can find one)
    or you could simply make up a Y pipe on the standard twin mani,

blake

sir Grease Monkey

i,ve got one of them gt 30/71r garrett,s on my 1jz and it shits all over the twins so on a 1g it might spool a bit later but you will be impressed. really its probably more suited to a 1g but my car weighs nearly 2 tons so it doesn,t hurt to have a bit of low down. cheers bigwad

Thanks lads , looks like the single is a goer. Looks like il need to fabricate the inlet mani
    as Blake says its a rip off for the cast one .Have you seen a Y piece fabricated?

I reckon Bigwads suggestion of the 3071 would be the go.

Rex_Kelway was making a 2 into 1 from stock manifolds for 1j,he may have done 1g or might know if they are available.

what is your tuner suggesting for management?
    [email protected]

its ok not to know everything

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

EMP? on here uses a Y pipe on his 1g, cheap and easy to make, boost response is sacrificed a lil bit tho, but he has made a whopping 280rwkw using the Y pipe,

any shop should be capable of makinbg it for you,

Getting a Y piece will release a bit more cash for the ecu, we didn't discuss brands as i didn't really want to spend more than 21/2k on the engine. So lets say a grand for the turbo, a hundred for the Y,head work costing 3hundred not sure of the price of the clutch so il keep 500 for it. That's leaving me 600 for the brain so IL speak to him and see what £600 gets me .
    280rwkw very nice! i think il be looking for him and see what else hes done to it.
    thanks again as tuning isnt my gig but every days a school day!!!!
    Davie