Thread: Air flow

Junior Member Domestic Engineer J0RD0's Avatar

Default Air flow

Just about finished the car and just a bit curious on the air flow on the front of my car.
    My concern is that I have made a radiator shroud for the stock radiator and will have tube and fin I/C and 10mm auto trans cooler inbetween. Because of the stock radiator left in place it has left me minimal room for fan choice, I have 2 10inch fans that dont fit so i ditched them for 2 8inch fans, so the holes cut in the shroud will be quite small and when running on the highway or taking it down the strip when the fans arent usually used will this effect the efficiency of all the coolers? would i be better off taking the shroud off?
    RA23 1JZ VVTi 373hp - SOLD
    12.4 @ 110mph
    THE EVOROLLA 262.9hp - SOLD
    JZ parts facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841910926804/

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: Air flow

*I'm assuming you have pull fans here, not push*

Fans need to be spaced back from the radiator to work correctly, and they need to be completely shrouded so that all the air is going through the radiator, and not around it.

Fans bolted directly to the radiator will only the cool the section they cover (ie, in your case, two 8" circles).

That said, fans do nothing at speeds over about 60kph.
    If you are having cooling issues at cruising speeds, then either the ram air isn't enough, or getting too hot, or the water system isn't keeping up.

If you are having coling issues at speeds less than 50kph and at idle, then chances are your fans aren't doing a good job (radiator could be blocked too).

A pic of your setup will help determine the problem.
    Although, from your post, I don't think you are having issues, but you are worried you might have some.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Default Re: Air flow

what ^^^ he said

if you're that stuck for space, ditch the shroud if its costing you room, mount <bigger if removing the shroud has helped?> fans directly to radiator, and hope they pull enough. add a third push fan?

also start paying attention to undertrays and removing abs everything that obstructs air flow
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38