Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: 3T GTE Tech

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 3T GTE Tech

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    What are those flow rates measured at and at what lift ??? ( Standard reference is 28inches)
    Just curious how does this compare to the 2tg. Do you know?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Guys,
    I'm currently building my own custom intake for my 3T GTE. I will be modifying the stock runners and then using a 4 inch tube to create a front entry.
    IMO I think the stock throttle body will flow enough and the biggest gain to be had is to reduce the restriction in the stock runners....

I work nearly as slow as Rod, so it might take me a while to finish it and to finally put my design to the test.

Cheers,
    Simon

Not known unless ur blown Backyard Mechanic

Could instead of using the twin spark, replace one of the spark plugs with an injector? Making it direct injection? Sounds like something that might of already been done.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TA22 GT
    Guys,
    I'm currently building my own custom intake for my 3T GTE. I will be modifying the stock runners and then using a 4 inch tube to create a front entry.
    IMO I think the stock throttle body will flow enough and the biggest gain to be had is to reduce the restriction in the stock runners....

I work nearly as slow as Rod, so it might take me a while to finish it and to finally put my design to the test.

Cheers,
    Simon
    Simon,

That basic process has been tested by Jason and without going into detail of what he does from memory the gain was about 30kw at the wheels. I though you spoke to him about making one for you ?

Be good to see what you end up with once its done.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    Simon,

That basic process has been tested by Jason and without going into detail of what he does from memory the gain was about 30kw at the wheels. I though you spoke to him about making one for you ?

Be good to see what you end up with once its done.
    Yeah, I did speak to Jason ages ago about making one. But then I thought as a mechanical engineer myself I should make my own...

I'll post pics sometime soon. 30kw sounds good, I didn't get exact details from Jason but after looking into it myself I think opening up the runners is a good thing. I plan to use the stock TB amd from memory Jason was running a stock TB with very good results?
    I do have the exhasut manifold from Jason and must say its a very nice unit....
    Cheers,
    Simon

looking forward to details about this process of direct injection. 30 kw is a very impressive improvement. droool.

just taking a back step for a second, and please feel free to shut me down but i know the motor was designed to have an oil cooler, although this was when the oil was also cooling a turbo. I am running a CT26 and although oil is still going to the turbo, the CT26 is also being water cooled.

as a temporary option, i was unable to track down an 11mm copper nosel to go into the threaded hole for the high pressure oil feed to the turbo, so i have screwed a bolt half way into the hole, ran the high pressure oil turbo feed from the oil cooler nosel, and blocked off the return line under the oil filter. this is a temporary solution as i just want to see if the engine runs. does anyone see any huge issues with this, and if need be can this be used as a more permanent fix as the oil is no longer the sole medium cooling a turbo.

opinions....Jamie

Junior Member Grease Monkey

well the cooler was build into the engine design for a reason and omitting it will no doubt kill your turbo fast, floater bearings hate hot oil thats why you turbo time it when cooling down. What you're doing blocking the turbo oil line is starving the oil to the turbo so that guarantees a dead turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 79GT
    just taking a back step for a second, and please feel free to shut me down but i know the motor was designed to have an oil cooler, although this was when the oil was also cooling a turbo. I am running a CT26 and although oil is still going to the turbo, the CT26 is also being water cooled.

as a temporary option, i was unable to track down an 11mm copper nosel to go into the threaded hole for the high pressure oil feed to the turbo, so i have screwed a bolt half way into the hole, ran the high pressure oil turbo feed from the oil cooler nosel, and blocked off the return line under the oil filter. this is a temporary solution as i just want to see if the engine runs. does anyone see any huge issues with this, and if need be can this be used as a more permanent fix as the oil is no longer the sole medium cooling a turbo.

opinions....Jamie
    Jamie,

Don't be a dodgy MoFo ! If buying the right fitting is too much effort or money just stop now, sell your Toyota and go buy a Ford Laser.

The oil feed to the oil cooler is switched at temperature ie it will bypass the oil cooler when cold. The set up you have described is Guaranteed to poke your Turbo. Rumour has it those Toyots Designers and engineers were not to bad at there job so just remember everything happens for a reason and if you don't completely understand that reason - don't fuck with it.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

ok. that is understood. it didnt click that oil would not flow through the outlet when the engine was cold, so i will definately use the allotted fitting.

let me verify though, i didnt not get the correct fitting because of money or lazyness i assure you of that, i tried 5 different places to try and locate a fitting of the correct diameter and thread. as it is size 11 fitting it is not common.

i had always planned to locate the correct fitting, but if this proved to take longer than expected, i was asking if i could run the engine with the current set up untill the correct fitting was located. now i know my answer.

I can assure you i will be keeping my toyota, and would rather shoot myself in the foot that drive a lazer.....(for the record)

cheers guys. Jamie

Jamie,

Which fitting are you chasing ??? A photo of what your missing would be best. I may have a spare or two I can send you or point you in the rght direction to obtain one, I got all my fittings from Earls.

Regards,

Rod.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

rod, i dont believe we have earls over in WA, (or if we do i have never heard of it)

i am after the turbo high pressure fitting, (feature in Jackels pictures) it appears to be an eyelit (sp?) type fitting like on the oil cooler high pressure line. the one with the bolt that has a whole in it that is inserted through a hollow (sp...its been a long day) ring of sorts which has a nosel that comes off it. although the hole size is 7/16ths which is different to the high pressure oil cooler fitting. if you know the one i mean and have a spare one, please let me know, as i would be very interested.

cheers again guys. Jamie

I like Cheese Backyard Mechanic Jackel's Avatar

bango bolt. thats what it is. Enzed might have them, they are located in osborne park and another place i believe. www.enzed.com.au
    Previous Rides: JZA80, GA70 GT, RA63 GT x2, TA61 GT, TA63.

Not known unless ur blown Backyard Mechanic

Just goto a local hydraulic repair shop, in your local industrial area get nice, FITTED/SIZED braided lines with the right fittings... BAM BAM BAM all done for under $30
    Last edited by Radar; 03-05-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Lots of loverly tech here,

But what I havent seen mentioned is crank mods, or LPG conversions. I'm of a mind to attempt both, starting with knife edging the crank whilst retaining the stock weight of the flywheel to keep up the inertial momentum.

The crank and new 87mm arias (Paradise racing and an awesome exchange rate sold me on these), eagle rods, a cometic HG and ARP bolts throughout are the grand sum of any internal mods I'm planning on. Externally im upgrading to a ct26 and larger injectors.

However after a few discussions over the past few months i have been toying with the idea of direct lpg injection, however i have not seen any info at all about these motors running on LPG.

I'm hoping my build will supply a reasonable improvement over std power, though im not expecting anything incredible. Has anyone tried similar setups?

Thanks
    Time to revive the 28.