Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: 3T GTE Tech

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 3T GTE Tech

Cometic do not make a MLS 2tg/3tg head gasket, they do make a 3tc/2tc one which you will need to modify

Not known unless ur blown Backyard Mechanic

Hey guys just bought a 3TGTE but done up a fair bit.. I'm wondering if I wind the boost back If I can still run it on the STD computer?
    It's had 8.1:1 forgies and so he recons its running about 7.5:1... Also he said it has the 280deg cams? (fair rough idle apparently) I was told it was making 250kw on 18psi with the motec ecu it was running, but the ecu was sold..
    He said if he can find the maps he'll email them to me.
    But yea can I run std computer with this?
    Or am I just wasting my time and should just get an aftermarket setup?
    Last edited by Radar; 08-04-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Radar,

The factory ECU is a fuel only Computer combined with a knock control box that is really only good as a door stop if you want any sort of a reliable set up. With your 3T being modified I would not bother trying to use it.

A good quality aftermarket ECU that is tuned well will reward you with not just better performance but a more reliable, fuel efficient and drivable set up.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    Radar,

The factory ECU is a fuel only Computer combined with a knock control box that is really only good as a door stop if you want any sort of a reliable set up. With your 3T being modified I would not bother trying to use it.

A good quality aftermarket ECU that is tuned well will reward you with not just better performance but a more reliable, fuel efficient and drivable set up.
    Yep, I got a microleb for $300 and had them re jig it to suit for another $70 or so from memory, cant go wrong.

cheers
    Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Radar,

The standard computer would run it, depending on the size of the injectors (if the injectors are standard), but not ideal. The original 3tgte computers are fairly rare and command a fairly high price. The ignition side of the standard arangement is average and finding a standard dual channel module is difficult.

The difference in price between a second hand aftermarket unit would only be a couple of hundred. So I would suggest going that way. The difference in price between a megasquirt and a standard unit would be comparable.

250kw? at the wheels? if so thats is a very healthy engine. The turbo that resides on it would give an indication of what the engine has done in the past.

Roger

Not known unless ur blown Backyard Mechanic

Cheers lads... Microleb?? microtech? Do you have to send it back to them to get it tuned I've found a LT10 with x4ign module for $600 worth it??
    If I do get an aftermarket setup, does anyone have any maps for sequential injection, and sequential ign..?? The dizzy was setup so it has 2 VR outputs for injection and ign ...
    The motor used to run 550cc injectors but the std ones have been put back in... The turbo is clean as with absolutely no shaft play the exhaust side seems clean with no oil or burn marks.

Radar,

Microleb do make a Unit that will run a 3T-GTE quite well. Its not an ECU I normally recommend but for a budget option its hard to go past. If your package is as tough as its previous owner suggested I'd be looking more high end tho to something like an SM4.

250kw on 18PSI, Sounds like Flywheel figures ? Did you get a dyno graph for it ? Either way it sounds like a good thing.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Head gasket option. I don't know if they still have stock but these could be the answer to the no more HKS MLS gaskets problem.http://www.kameariusa.com/2TG_Headgasket.php
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Junior Member Carport Converter

exactly what modification did you guys have to do to get your MLS gaskets to fit your 3tgte?

cometic homepage lists an 87mm bore MLS gasket for the 3TC, page 32:
    http://www.cometic.com/catalogs/sportcompact.pdf
    83 Celica GT-TR TA63 liftback w/ 3TGTE
    68 Chevrolet Impala - restored lowrider on hunnid spokes

my old ride:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DmoJ...eature=related

Radar,

Yep as toyman said sounds like a good thing. I meant to say what turbo is it running as a standard ct20 is not going to achieve the figures your quoting without significant work. Sounds like it has a 3sgte or 4age 24/2 crank sensor which is a great start, and the standard computer won't run this. Around the 500-600 mark for a second hand ECU, I would avoid microtech if you can as the ECU will need to be reprogram to suit the ignition setup (unless it was from a similar vehicle). Haltech e6x, stinger or SM4 are all good choices. Whatever you get make sure it takes a multiple VR signals.

Steeko,

The MLS cometic gasket I speak of is the 3tc 87mm bore one that you talk of. I paid ~$70 aus for this.

Looks like its going to work ok just need to seal the timing chain cover with RTV or home made gasket.

Here are some pics of the Cometic 3TC MLS with comparison to original 3tgte enjoy. Obviously the HKS or the one toyman suggest would be ideal but the cost by the time you get it over here is going to be fairly heavy.

If anyone sees any problem with this appraoch please let me know

Roger
    Last edited by 3jcelica; 09-04-2010 at 01:03 AM.

thanks so much for the pics there 3Jcelica
    The new gasket looks good. For the price you can't beat it.

Is there any issues with having the main section with the MLS gasket and the timing chain cover gasket as another material?

my old ride:

btw, BRD just confirmed that their 3TC Cometic gasket on their website is a 3 layer MLS.

my old ride:

Guys, I'm wondering about using the 3TC MLS head gasket without the timing chain area on it.
    Once the head is torqued down, isn't there a risk of warping the head as the front part will be over a different gasket material?

I am considering getting a gasket shop to manufacture me a MLS gasket for the 3TGTE. Anyone else wanting one at the same time?

my old ride:

3jcelica,

I have heard of this done many times but can't comment my self if there are any issues, I would only offer you a biased opinon, I see no problem with it. Would like to here others opinons.

My opinon on warpage:

The studs are holding the head straight, with out doing any calculation I could say that I highly doubt it is going to warp the head (well not the bit that matters anyway), you are not going to get enough expansion at that end of the head (timing chain area) to work against the studs and warp the head. If enough load did come on chances are the timing chain area would crack off before head warping took place due to the amount of meat there compared to the rest of the head.

There may be a potential to warp the timing chain area if you got enough heat and force into it, again I doubt it, as it is not exposed to the explosive combustion chamber force and is not really a hot part of the head. As it is fixed to some degree by the rest of the timing cover the warpage will be limited so a flexible sealent should be adequate.

Roger

Junior Member Grease Monkey

SCE makes copper head gaskets here in the states. Jegs has them P# 91804
    Give this guy an email but the prices are high http://toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/2TG_Parts.html
    I also have a friend that can get them I will give him a call on Monday. If anyone else wants one they better chime in now!!!!!
    TE-72 (T-18) w/3tgteu fully built
    Haltech e6x direct fire/sequential
    ae-86 (levin) footwork
    TE-71 w/1uzfe
    Autronics SM4