Page 11 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: 3T GTE Tech

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Default Re: 3T GTE Tech

Quote Originally Posted by rke_011
    Understandable if you have thousands to spend on a car, but when your on a budget you have to use what you have..

the 2d ran my brothers 13bt for years fine, why would if be any different on the 3t? also i dont know what this means but this is written about the wolf 2d

"Don't be fooled by the "2D tag, this unit has full 3D mapping, and can use the fuel map from a 3D using all 128 points."
    The 2D is fuel only, it has no timing control. And a rotary is nothing like a 3T and should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

By all means use the 2D on your engine, but when it breaks or you decide the performance is lack luster (When not If) remeber Josh's post and listen to the voices in your head saying I told you so !

As for the financial side of things - Most of us are on a budget and a entry level ecu that does control timing will cost allot less than rebuilding your 3T when you break it. Personally I think you may as well leave the stock ECU on rather than fit the 2D, at least the factory set up has the knock control ecu to save the engine from pinging which is more than the 2D can acheive.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Grease Monkey rke_011's Avatar

mmmmmmm rotary... gotta love rotors.. cheers for that.. just gotta have a think now.

coz i have 2 things i could do.. install the 2d in my rona or spend the cash on my rota rolla its hard being poor
    1970 - Ke11 - 12a j port -for sale (sold)
    1969 - Ke10 - 4age (sold) - .... And I just bought it back again less a 4age now to be turbo 5K
    1969 - Ke10 - 4age pocket rocket
    1967 - ke10 - Im the second owner... WANTED FREE 4K TO DONATE TO A GOOD CAUSE.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

OK well if it does do proper 3D load based mapping of the fuel then I guess it could be decent.

I'd rather slam my wang in a car door than use one on my car but obviously everyone has their own priorities.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

rke 011 - you can pick up a second hand microtech LT-series these days for around $500-800. Drop it in to get reconfigured... add about $600 for a decent tune, and you are cooking with a large amount of skids.

I agree completely with what Josh is saying.
    Chosing an old ECU like the wolf 2d is like chosing to have sex with your cousin. Its not right, but some people do it cos its still sex.

The options these days for a cheap, fully programmable ECU are pretty awesome. Here's a few that are all under the $1500 mark brand new.
    - Microtech LT10s
    - Adaptronic
    - Megasquirt (this is DIY though)
    - EMS

All will do the job nicely.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    rke 011 - you can pick up a second hand microtech LT-series these days for around $500-800. Drop it in to get reconfigured... add about $600 for a decent tune, and you are cooking with a large amount of skids.

I agree completely with what Josh is saying.
    Chosing an old ECU like the wolf 2d is like chosing to have sex with your cousin. Its not right, but some people do it cos its still sex.

The options these days for a cheap, fully programmable ECU are pretty awesome. Here's a few that are all under the $1500 mark brand new.
    - Microtech LT10s
    - Adaptronic
    - Megasquirt (this is DIY though)
    - EMS

All will do the job nicely.
    Don't forget eyy old Haltech E6X
    See my 3T-GTE powered TA22:
    Click Here
    Currently running 192.8rwkw @ 20PSI

Hey guys, 2 questions.

Where would i get a new rocker cover gasket for a 3T/4T. (identical)

and secondly, i have recently bought a haltech fuel only comp for a good price, i saw mentioned here that these are much of a pointless endevour, because of differences in load that the comp cannot compute and counter. (i thought it would be able to determine load from the amount of vacuum on the intake side....but i guess not)

either way, opinions suggestions, should i utilise this computer or look to pass it on with someone running N/A

Jamie

I can't say I know where to buy 3T/4T gaskets and stuff because all of this gear was sourced by my engine builder on my bahalf... (Thru sleeka spares/4s and more in Adelaide)

As far as an ECU is concerned, sell off the fuel only and pickup somthing decent that can control fuel and ignition. If I had my chance again, I would have spoken to a few tuners and people on these forums regarding there preference of ecu's and experiences with tuning.

I am running a Haltech E6X which iam generally happy with, but the interface with my laptop is pretty crap and software setup has been pretty time consuming on the dyno which equates to a few $$$ spent...

Hope I havn't confused you more!

Rob
    See my 3T-GTE powered TA22:
    Click Here
    Currently running 192.8rwkw @ 20PSI

http://www.swmotorsport.com
    Used to carry parts. May still have some.
    TE-72 (T-18) w/3tgteu fully built
    Haltech e6x direct fire/sequential
    ae-86 (levin) footwork
    TE-71 w/1uzfe
    Autronics SM4

Junior Member Grease Monkey ta22 3tgte's Avatar

I got a full gasket kit from IDB Automotive in VIC only 6-12 months ago, they had it sitting on the shelf and I had it in about 5 days, and I am in Cairns. It also came with a good quality rubber cam cover gasket, much better than cork. Hope this helps.

Brendan

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

You can get the gasket from Stewart Wilkins Rally. Type it into white pages online - they are out near Windsor in NSW.

Lose the computer and get a decent one.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

nuts Grease Monkey

are you guys not able to get genuine head gaskets / cam cover gaskets? i haven't bought any recently but had no trouble in previous years (in NZ). the head set seems best value. then buy an ACL 3T-C bottom end set. toyota crank seals are hellishly expensive. 3tgte cam cover gaskets by themselves are quite horrendously priced too.
    head gasket 11115-88281
    cam cover gasket set (2pces) 11201-29145
    semicircular plug 11183-88260
    top gasket set 04112-28030(?) 04112-28031
    full overhaul gasket set 04111-28030

access to an EPC is very helpful for finding genuine part numbers. otherwise use www.toyodiy.com and look under '82-'86 tt142 corona or carina ta63. they don't have the ta63 celica GT-T listed??
    quick link to tt142 3tgte corona sedan. http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_198...EMQZ_1103.html
    comparing part numbers to the 2tgeu using that site will tell you if you can use parts from 2tg. you'll find most 3tgte cam timing parts have 2tg part numbers.

the stuart wilkins website doesn't seem to list T series parts in the menu.. but if you make a search on the website's search function they're there!

im doing my best to get as much 3tgte info on one webpage. toyman tried linking to it before but the site still use frames so need to link to the actual page like this
    http://www.toycrazy.net/tech/3tgte.htm

in regaurds to the oil cooler sandwich plate.. it seems the earlier ones have oil cooler only and no water cooling on the turbo. i've found the water cooled turbo versions came with both, with or without the oil cooler. the ones without do not have the thermostatic bypass fitted to the cooler plate.. just a direct line to the thermostat/oil housing above the alternator enroute to the turbo.

pic showing water and oil cooled turbo and layout of lines.

there are TWO oil lines in the oil cooler circuit. the first which i'll refer to as the primary circuit, runs direct from the sandwich plate (under oil filter), around front of engine to the oil distribution block under the thermostat. the second circuit being the oil cooler via the thermostat bypass valve which re-emerges with the primary circuit in the distribution block under thermostat. they then feed the turbo.

i have had the cooler adapter apart a few years back and can't confirm from memory whether it completely shuts off the primary oil line to the turbo once the cooler is in use. this will have a great and terminal effect on the turbo if it does actually shut off the primary circuit IF blocking off the oil cooler lines.

i also think there should be some discussion on the high oil pressure problem on the 3tgte. i've only ever had one engine do it and have yet to get around to finding the cause. usually it's a sticking pressure relief valve. but doesn't seem to be in my case.. i've tried another pump with no joy and even tried same pump and relief in another engine which ran fine. i'd be very interested if anyone has found another cause!
    The result of high oil pressure is quite spectacular but messy. the first filter that burst was a repco one.. took a pic as i started cutting it down the middle for inspection. note the rounded and ballooned edges compared to a new one

2nd one was a Fram. didn't split exactly, but bulged the sealing face out enough to skew it and spit the seal out the side. not as messy as the first.
    3rd filter was a genuine 3tgte denso 90915-20003, no problems occured.
    conclusion... run nothing other than a genuine toyota filter! it might one day save your arse.

i've had it suggested to me to use a 2t/3t/2tge oil pump to reduce oil flow. i see this as a band-aid repair on a problem that could be potentially damaging to the engine. fix the cause, not the effects!
    whats the difference that the 3tgte flows more? rotor and body thickness. 3tgte oil pickup height is shorter to compensate...
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20

nuts Grease Monkey

adding to an old thread... (google seems to like showing it in 3tgte searches).

The other day I pulled a 3tgte oil cooler adapter apart. the primary oil circuit DOES get shut off once the wax valve heats up and bypasses oil via the oil cooler.. so removing the oil cooler and blocking the line on one of these adapters is not recommended.

-Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20

bump for info.

engine mounts what do we share them with? im after the actual rubber section of the passenger side mount.

anyone got a good condition one kicking around?
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

Cuts i have a set of brand new engine mounts for a 3TG that i do not need anymore

PM me if your interested...

cheers

Forum Member

g'day boys,

i have a 3tgte can i use a hilux ct20 for my 3tgte manifold and stock setup? any help would be madness.

cheers