Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Nationals 21-23 March 2008

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota Nationals 2008

Double post, computer glitch, sorry guys.
    Last edited by "Z" UTE; 07-01-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Double post computer glitch
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Grease Monkey Yojimbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr

The reason for Tamworth being given a shot are quite obscure. The increased travel distance for the south of Newcastle entrants was certainly a minus.

Tamworth failed due to lack of entrants, and I suspect the 2 events scheduled a show and shine, and a navigation drive, did little to encourage the entrants. A long drive in the country, across borders for many, to go for yet another drive.
    What a load of Crap!

The move to Tamworth did fail because of a lack of entries, though not because of disinterest in the event.

Sadly the main reason was unrest and confusion.

Unrest because a minority group (by the then recent numbers) didnt want to drive another 3 hours. Only competitors south of sydney were disadvantaged by travel time.
    And more entrants gained 3 hours than lost it.

Confusion because of misinformation (bordering on sabotage) being spread by afforementioned enthusiasts.

The committee at that time realised Dubbo (as we knew and loved it) had a limited lifespan, and so alternatives were sought. At that time I was a member of Tamworth Sporting Car Club (though I live in Sydney) and suggested it as a possibillity.

Tamworth has facilities for lap sprinting, Speedway, motorcross, motorkhana,and soon to be drags, all at one venue. Including indoor airconditioned entertainment center where we could have had the show and shine. The motel even allowed us to bring cars into the dining room where they would host the presentation dinner indoors with cars on show.

Unfortunately the Sporting car club club needs events (like ours) and motorsport tourism (like us) to convince council to approve the 1/4 mile strip they have planned. Yes we couldnt do drags, AT THAT VENUE. But there were other options for other sites, and we had planned a "go to whoa" on the main straight of the circuit as a fall back option. As well as motorkhana and other driving events. With our support the locals could have had a strip to use, in fact they may already have one, I wouldnt know, after stuffing them around (they were very good to us), I was too ashamed to renew my membership and havent been back.

Tamworth City council were on board as was the local toyota dealership, and local businesses, all arranged in one day of phone calls and door knocking, they couldnt do enough to help us!

Anyhow, opportunity lost, due to selfishness and short sightedness.

I'll attend 2008 where ever it is with whatever events it offers - already looking forward to it!

Grant, Dave, Nathan, let me know if I can help.

Matt

Goulburn is out, Nissan /Datsun guys have a standing booking for the easter long weekend and run an exceptional event. We were looking to model off them for the longer term future. They have circuit sprints, motorkhana, go to whoa, drags? (cant remember) show and shine and dinner all in 2 days.

One difference though, competitors there pay actual money to attend a mixed motorsport event, not the small change we pay for Toyota Nats.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo
    Goulburn is out, Nissan /Datsun guys have a standing booking for the easter long weekend and run an exceptional event. We were looking to model off them for the longer term future. They have circuit sprints, motorkhana, go to whoa, drags? (cant remember) show and shine and dinner all in 2 days.

One difference though, competitors there pay actual money to attend a mixed motorsport event, not the small change we pay for Toyota Nats.
    Im willing to pay 'actual' money to have mixed motorsport events.

I wasn't prepared to drive to Tamworth for what was looking like turning into a show and shine only event with a car that isnt very 'showy'.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Posts about Tamworth are not constructive and mar an otherwise balanced discussion. If you really want to talk about it please do it privately.

I would like to make it clear that it is now too late to move the event. If we had been given more notice then other options could of been investigated. Please, no more posts on alternative locations for 2008. Depending on how this years event pans out then a move in 2009 may be a possibility but it's way too early to make that call.

I have not yet been able to talk to DCCC or anyone in authority at Wellington council so I can't make any further comment on the fee's or DCCC's willingness to run the drags even if we do find the money to pay for it. More information will be provided as it comes to hand.

Suggestions about nav runs and other competitor events are very welcome and will be acted upon once we get the big events sorted.

Cheers!

Sorry Grant, you know how pissed I get about misinformation regarding that issue.

I'm serious though if you need a hand with anything, Im on holidays atm, and will be in Newy the next 3 days.

Matt

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

I am happy to go wherever our fellow Toyota enshusiasts want to have the annual weekend. After all, it is the entrants who make the event, not the location.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Puffy's Avatar

No use complaining about the past and what happened to Tamworth. Lets focus on how we can make the event which is in Dubbo this year better. The more people that attend the nationals the more interest it creates with sponsors and that = more $$$ which inturn organisers can use to create more events and attract more people. This is the circle we want to create.

Holding the nationals will only get more expensive every year and that is why we need to grow by look after the sponsors by supporting their business.

If the drags cannot be held, maybe we can look at getting a dyno......hub dyno's are portable (not ideal) but would be something new and add another aspect to the show.
    Carlos Sainz has a Darkside and its in the form of # 13
    Click for pics http://toymods.net/forums/showthread...365#post539365

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Grant/Alchemist you have PM re: sponsors for the drag event.
    1997 Toyota Supra RZ - ??? rwkw
    Best 1/4 (16/07/08 T78) : 12.42
    Best Top Speed (16/07/08 T78): 201.72 k/mh
    Best 1/8 (2010 ToyNats-Wellington Airstrip T88H-GK) 7.97

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder De@No's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota Nationals 21-23 March 2008

Do evo drivers enjoy the taste of a nice cold beer??.. I heard they like to sit in the corner and drink their fancy cocktails
    Z20- SOLD

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by De@No
    Do evo drivers enjoy the taste of a nice cold beer??.. I heard they like to sit in the corner and drink their fancy cocktails
    just becuase I drive a car gaybos like to drive doesnt mean I am one
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Domestic Engineer ZZE92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by De@No
    Do evo drivers enjoy the taste of a nice warm wang??..
    Fixed for you
    Cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    the snatch has been through hell and back and is still kicking!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Hey Grant,

Do you know what driving events are being held this year??

Please let me know.

Cheers

Stan
    My Celica doesn't need plastic to look good

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Geebus I cant wait for this! had a cracker of a time last year,I look forward to meeting more of you soon!

MS1JZ if you bring the evo im guna play hide the poo!
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Well i've booked my room.... im there.
    I wont have the celica, but i'll certainly be there for the massif social occasion.
    ...... butt scratcher?!