Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Nationals 21-23 March 2008

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Toyota Nationals 2008

Yes, the DCCC are looking at using an old strip at Narromine for drags but no time frame has been suggested. If this goes ahead however it may not help the nationals as Narromine airport runs an air show every Easter and it's doubtful if approval would be given to run drags at the same time.

Junior Member Carport Converter OnAll-FOUR's Avatar

I can understand tradition that Dubbo has and people have already started booking things. However without a driving event the nationals would just be a show and shine and the social side, and you would have to think seriously about the interest that would generate? as well as some of the outcomes from this event last year weren’t the most popular? Yuo will always get the enthuosiests comming along, the challange is to attract the rest,

Why not look seriously at some other opportunities to go to say Goulburn and we would have Wakefield nearby as well as the hill climb in Canberra as a possible alternative. This way there could be a range of events to cater for the guys that want the drags (If Wakefield would be willing to run them) and also some circuit and/or hilclimb events to spice things up?

Does anybody know the MR2 guys ar planning for their nationals this year? If these natinoals are to survive there needs to be some co-ordination between them all.
    Ben #400 - My Ride Thread - Now with CT20b -
    1990 ST185 JDM, 103.0kws July 06 --> 155.9kws Feb 2010
    WSID: [email protected] (Weak ) : Wakefield 1:16.1 Racechrono
    Pics - http://photobucket.com Vids - http://www.youtube.com

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

while i think of it, i was going to volunteer to locate a 4age or 3sfe head to assist with a spark-plug changing comp.

We had been tossing up a proposal for a non-speed navigation run (e.g. may not need cams licence, or just have event fee but no licence requirements?) for the Saturday afternoon? Is a bit of organisation, plus it requires on-the-ground pre-event preparation to identify questions/landmarks en route... but i enjoy these sorts of things.

re: motorkhana - will it be a cams sanctioned event (not that i have a problem with it as i have a 2S licence) - just curious as to entrance fees and day-licences.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

i have 2 unwanted 3s-fe heads that i'd be willing to give to you guys if you want it for a competition.

FWD 5H1T80X Racing Backyard Mechanic ROTFL-ACT's Avatar

Whilst it would be really awesome to go to Wakefield and do hillclimbs at Sutton - And believe me I would be there in my POS car taking part, Dubbo just seems like a great place when we're there.
    Last year was the first time I went and it was probably the highlight of my year, never had so much fun!!!
    Race Car: Hyundai Lantra Super Touring Car
    Road Car - Ur Mums VX Commodore.

The Aberrational Chief Engine Builder Andrew162's Avatar

last year was good fun, I enjoyed that weekend and catching up with people from everywhere in Toymods land, even though it was a 2000km round trip (and the QLD, SA and WA boys n girls travelled further). pending job and car availability I should be there for this year, even if it changes locations.

another little event that could be worth some pondering is a wheel-changing duel where two 5-stud hubs are welded together via a 2m piece of square steel tube and attached to stands. NCSM here in Ballina have that event on at their annual 'do' and it attracts a lot of people looking for a friendly competition. if there's interest I'll put up some pics of how it works when it's on again next week.
    Clicky -> THEN: 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid
    Clicky -> NOW: 1985 ST162 Celica SX (Gen III 3S-GE) - Kitted & Resprayed

TRIKKE | Video

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Alchemist's Avatar

As far as I understand it the drags is purely a financial restriction. If anyone can source us a sponsor with enough dollars to get the drags happening I'm sure Grant would be keen to hear about it.

TMCA are our principal sponsor, and they are only offer us so much money. Although, now that they are pushing their TRD range maybe sending an Aurion out and offering us more money, who knows.

The sound of a navigational rally is a good one, would be good fun out there. All depends on what happens re: motorkhana location, and The Nationals negotiations with the local council.

It's going to be a tops event either way and I'm looking foward to it.

stunt dog Backyard Mechanic Esteban's Avatar

Talking Re: Toyota Nationals 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew162
    another little event that could be worth some pondering is a wheel-changing duel where two 5-stud hubs are welded together via a 2m piece of square steel tube and attached to stands...
    I for one think activities like this are an excellent idea.

I'll grab some ford stub axles next time I'm at the wreckers. I wonder how we could make wheel changing more challenging? Heavy steelies, and disc brakes in the way could help ... especially if the stub axle still spins freely. I could probably organise something like this before dubbo if we're interested... I could make the rig so it fits in the boot of the aristo ... couldn't transport spare wheels however, I need that space for BEER
    GTE23 - Accruing parts - Packed away in the farm container
    UZA28 - Accruing parts - Packed away in the farm container
    LN65 - Awaiting 1KZT dual transfer 4.88 electric locker transplant
    YN65 - Drive car and cabin donor - ok fuckit 1UZ conversion
    YN65 - Additional cabin donor - engineered bogan spec

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

if my soarer isnt done in time im gonna bring the evo instead...is that cool?
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    No.

Cheers
    Wilbo

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    No.

Cheers
    Wilbo
    go and paint something you homo
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Agreed with previous post. It would be most uncool. I would have to laugh at you!

Oh, and pls reduce your sig to 5 lines, or I'll get all uppity and stressed out.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

glad to have you back shane
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

go and paint something you homo
    Ur just pissed cause I could prbly do a better job of ur car out of a can?

Cheers
    Wilbo

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist
    GoogleEarth over Dubbo and surrounding areas?

I'm surprised I mean getting the nats to Dubbo surely drums up some local business? I mean we practically book out The Matilda for 3-4 days solid, surely the council can cut us some slack for an increase in the local economy for a few days.

I mean the carwash, dominos, wherever we have our dinner, caterers, bottle shops, everyone profits and all we want to do is have a good time...I just don't get it, maybe they don't like cars....

Just an idea from a person who doesn't have time to scour the maps themselves at the moment...

Any town other than Dubbo, would appreciate the tourist dollars from the Toyota Nationals. Unfortunately with Dubbo being where it is, (half distance Melbourne/Brisbane) and the sheer number of bodies passing through each year, the Toyota Nationals economic input, is but a grain of sand on a beach.

The motel rooms would still be full, the piss would still be drunk, and the food consumed, with or without the Toyota Nationals.

Dubbo was originaly picked because it was a mid point for Qeenslanders and Victorians.

The drags are the main drawcard for the event in Dubbo, just look at the numbers you get for participants and spectators. 2007 numbers were greater than 2006.

Would someone in the know please post the gate takings, competitor entry fees, and food/drink stand profits.. Yeah I know there are are expenses, fire truck, and ambulance. All on top of the airstrip hire. But hey would someone please tell Wellington shire Council, that 100% of what they received in payment for last years event is a far cry from the ZERO dollars they will get this year if the event does not go ahead.

The Motorkhana should be an addition to the Saturday's events calender.

(Seditionist comments removed)

Cheers Chuck.
    Last edited by "Z" UTE; 08-01-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Non constructive comments removed
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!