Thread: What should I look for in an alarm?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default What should I look for in an alarm?

I did a search but couldn't find anything (ok so I only went back 5 pages of results and gave up ) but I'm wondering what to look for in a good alarm. I'm doing a rewire of my '89 ST162 soon, so I would much prefer to integrate the alarm into the wiring at the build stage than tack it on as an add on later.

My main requirements in an alarm are outputs for actuating central locking via remote and I'm after something with ultrasonic sensors as I'm not too confident in just sensing from door locks and bonnet pins alone. Currently looking at the Jaycar range of alarms as they are cheap and have all the features I'm looking for, but I have heard people bag them out before. The steelmate range sounds quite good, has anyone had experience with them?
    Last edited by XR Pilot; 27-11-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: What should I look for in an alarm?

Does your car insurance company recommend any particular alarms? Discounted premium if you have one of theirs fitted? Current standard is 3 point immobilisation.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

I'm only covered for third party injury and property, so an alarm won't really make any difference in that respect.

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

The most important thing is how good the install\installer is.

It is the key to any alarm these days, but often over looked.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

The shadow immobiliser with the alarm upgrade pack is a great alarm with all the features you would need (see links below). 3 immobiliser circuits, triggers via bonnet pins, door switches, shock sensor, and ultrasonic sensor

I've used them a couple of times (albeit) without the alarm upgrade pack and can't fault them.

The thing more important than the alarm is how well the immobiliser circuits are wired in, and how hard they are to physically access, and then the placing of the brain and the rest of the wiring. A good place for the brain is in the rear door cards or under the carpet under the seat, not just placed somewhere easy to put it under the dash like it can be tempting to do

But yeah mostly be concerned about the install, having installed mine myself I'm never worried about parking the car even in quietest darkest city streets because I know how long it would take anyone to bypass the alarm, and then even once they do that the car isn't going start unless they pull most of the interior out

FWIW I have a relatively high model mongoose alarm in my car (I fitted it for piggy when he owned the car), but the shadow with the add on pack actually has more features

The steelmate ones are alright, but they don't have all black wiring which I don't particularly like, and some of the features on them become obsolete if it's installed right anyway, the car can look after itself

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=
    I am the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Youngy
    The most important thing is how good the install\installer is.

It is the key to any alarm these days, but often over looked.
    I'll be installing it, I'm doing a complete engine re-wire so now is the best time to do it. It will be well integrated and hidden

Dale - That was actually the alarm I was thinking of, not the steelmate ones. I couldn't get on the jaycar site at the time of posting to get the correct name. I'm leaning towards the alarm you posted at the moment.

Does anyone have experience with the 2-way paging alarms from Jaycar? They cost a little more but I'm undecided if its worth spending a bit more...

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

The alarm wiring should only be on the chassis side of the wiring loom, hope you're rewiring that too

I personally don't think they'd be worth the extra, but that's just me
    I am the sun

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

BLACK WIRING is important!....pretty much all the alarms these days are all black wired (NO universal wire colours...)

BRANT alarms are the ones in the WRX's they are almost unstealable.

blake

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

make sure you get one that disarms properly when ya disarm it.

nothings worse than working on a car (eg most jeep wranglers) with an aftermarket alarm installed, that keeps rearming itself every few minutes. going off whenever you budge a bolt, or go up and down on the jack etc..

and keep records of the make and model of the alarm, so when a remote stuffs up you can order another one... so simple yet so many people over look these points!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    The alarm wiring should only be on the chassis side of the wiring loom, hope you're rewiring that too

I personally don't think they'd be worth the extra, but that's just me
    Yeah, I'm going to tidy the chassis side up as well as rewiring the engine side. I'll make sure its well integrated. I'll probably fit the dash loom from the wreck during the auto to manual conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by IN 05 NT
    BLACK WIRING is important!....pretty much all the alarms these days are all black wired (NO universal wire colours...)

BRANT alarms are the ones in the WRX's they are almost unstealable.

blake
    It will either be black wiring or another solution I've discussed with Dale. I won't be using universal wiring thats for sure. Are the BRANT alarms OEM or aftermarket jobbies?

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN

nothings worse than working on a car (eg most jeep wranglers) with an aftermarket alarm installed, that keeps rearming itself every few minutes. going off whenever you budge a bolt, or go up and down on the jack etc..

and keep records of the make and model of the alarm, so when a remote stuffs up you can order another one... so simple yet so many people over look these points!
    Yeah I've seen an alarm that behaves like that, very annoying, hence why I started this thread hoping to get some responses on what alarms to avoid.

Keeping records of what I fit is a good idea. I'll make sure the model no isn't kept in the glovebox though

lasagna lovin' angel! Backyard Mechanic scorpion2096's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN

this sounds like the car may have a tilt sensor. as an addition to the other sensors, some people use tilt sensors incase someone takes a fancy to your wheels. for the car to re-arm itself constantly would be such a pain
    Ness: now driving a Rukus

i'm right 98% of the time....
    so who cares about the other 3%

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

I've installed Jaycar Shadow's on eight of my own cars over the last 6 years and never had a problem with any of them apart from the chinese batteries in the remotes going flat prematurely (easy fix with a $1.50 duracel which last for years).

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

brant do aftermarket too.

Update - I ended up purchasing a Jaycar Shadow with all the upgrades - backup alarm, microwave sensor, boot release etc. If I remember I'll update this thread once I've got it all installed and working.