Thread: JZZ30 1J into MX83. *Many Pics*

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Default JZZ30 1J into MX83. *Many Pics*

We got this car in with the engine sitting in the car(on the X member) and a half made gearbox mount. The engine is Z30 soarer and the owner has replaced the sump with a front sump and supplied some JZX81 engine brackets. Once we bolted these up and bought a pair of new MX83 rubber mounts the engine slid into it's rightful place. Some mods to the half made gearbox X member to set the box back and some stiffening gussets added and the engine and box were sitting happily.

The manifold had to come off to sort the wiring out. The Z30 wiring has some power supplies coming from the bay that have to be extended into the car and it also needs a starter relay as it only has a low current PN switch in the inhibitor switch. I can't recall fitting a relay to my Bros JZX83 so the X81 must have a high current switch like the MX83.
    Also added a tacho booster and frankensteined the whole lot together to plug in as per factory. Took ages, probably because I can't shake this obsession with trying to make everything like factory. Fired up no probs. Unseized the IACV and all is happy.

Whipped out the fuel tank to check our options on a fuel pump. I had previously used an open base Bosch pump but wasn't happy with the fitment in the shallow tank so this time we went with a 909 Bosch with a few plumbing changes. Much better.

Got Enzed out to assist in PS and turbo feed hose manufacture. The hose guy is a young car nut so is good value. Worked out nicely, plenty of room for dump and gate pipes.

We suggested to the owner that a single turbo conversion would be fairly cheap at this stage as he wanted some custom dumps which are fairly expensive and time consuming. He liked the idea so we got a KKR430 and ebay split pulse T4 manifold and made them love each other. I straightened the turbo a bit more than the previous effort(z30 soarer) to move the dump pipe away from the tappet cover.

The intercooler install was made simple by the owners decision to ditch the Aircon. Acres of room without the condenser and drier int he way. Knocked up some pipes to go with it. All very short and simple, best way to have them.

We had problems with restrictive internal wastegate on the Z30 with this turbo so went with an external gate on this car. The manifold has the gate postioned in the wrong place so I have cut the pipe back and used a 90 bend to position it above the xmember. Still waiting on the gate to come so the final piping isn't done yet. It used to touch the steering column.

Will update when we get some more done.
    I couldn't find any examples of the Z30 cut being used in an X83 so thought this might be of interest.

Default Re: JZZ30 1J into MX83. *Many Pics*

Little update for those interested.

Haven't had much pic worthy to add unfortunately as we have been held up with other stuff.

Here is the wastegate relocation, wasn't too big a problem. Nowhere near the hassle of fitting the 60mm(ebay size, actually 50mm by my sizing method) gate to Stints 2J X73 Cressy but that's another story.

Pics.

You can also see the T4 split to T3 single adaptor I have welded on in this shot.

The exhaust is also built but I still have to plumb the wastegate back in so will wait for that before pics.

This mornings effort.

Turbo and gate fitted up and gate plumbed back in.

And Stints' WRX fan fitment.

The car is driving now and just needs a bottom hose and thermofan wiring and general tidy up to be a goer.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Very nice work!