Thread: steering rack conversion for hilux??

Default steering rack conversion for hilux??

has anyone done or come across a steering rack conversion kit for the hilux? rn85 to b exact
    does anyone do the kit? is there such a kit?
    has anyone done a conversion from another car...or toyota?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default Re: steering rack conversion for hilux??

I doubt there is going to be any kind of kit for something like this. As the steering box puts the linkages in front of the crossmember you're going to need a rack from something that has this in the same location. Most vehicles have the rack on the firewall or behind the crossmember. This will not work in your situation. The only ones I know of are the Subaru and RX7 that have this rack in front. You may be able to utilise one of these but getting the steering shaft to the rack may pose a problem.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice P100_Ute's Avatar

on a minitruck site this fella's done the conversion... i pm'd him a few months ago regarding it and this is what he said.

I shortened the arms on a commodore VS rack to suit the hilux wheel track. Swap your spindles from driver side to passenger and vice versa, this makes the rack steer from the back rather than the front. It's an easy conversion. I mounted the rack to the rear of the cross member that runs under the motor. It's a really easy conversion, I just don't advertise the fact I did it.
    Last edited by P100_Ute; 21-11-2007 at 12:11 AM.
    My Daily. ---> 1990 KF Laser.
    My Project. --> Ford Cortina chopped into a Ute sitting on a RN41 Hilux Chassis running a 351 Cleveland V8. Auto with a Locker in Diff.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

you could use an A70/Z20 rack to do it as they mount on the front but it would be a fairly complicated exercise to do.

you would need to check that the ackerman angles are correct as well as making sure bumpsteer is fine and alot of other things.

not quite as straight forward as "bolt it in and you'll be right" but yes it is doable, the end result however depends on how much time, effort and thought you put into it.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

thanx for ur help guys
    i kno there is going to b a lil chopping and changing
    but i an willing to give it a go...as i hate the 20 turns lock to lock
    its like u need one of those steering nobs off a fork lift!!! lol

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

swapping the spindles from sids to side will definately screw up your ackerman angles. Your better off leaving this as it is and trying to mount the rack in front. I think the biggest problem may be the length. I know of a guy who was trying to do this with a Navara but the Subaru rack we looked at was going to be too long.