Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toymods and CAMS Affiliation

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Toymods and CAMS Affiliation

Quote Originally Posted by twentyEight
    Insurance restrictions and PL Cover are certainly a concern...

And last I knew, Non Profit Organisations could become CAMS Affiliated, but maybe I am incorrect here...

Events I would like to attend that require a CAMS Licence are the Winton 6 Hour, and Timed Winton Track Days, as well as various other track events...

I can easily join the TCCV to gain a CAMS Licence, but I would prefer to put my money towards a Car Club that I would like to involve myself in more... (ie. Toymods)
    I will throw my 2 bobs worth in here

You do NOT need a CAMS licence to participate in the above mentioed events, you can get a AASA Licence (AASA = Australian Autosport Alliance) that will allow you to compete in these event for half the cost of a CAMS one.

AASA is the Sanctioning body/Insurer for the Winton 6 Hour and every event at Winton except the V8's and Austin 7 Historics meeting in May. See http://australianautosportalliance.com/aasa/

Winton, Wakefield and Qld Raceway are pretty much dedicated AASA Tracks and Calder and AIR are dedicated AASA tracks.

BTW, consider AASA Insurance for your club next time you are looking, ring Winton and ask to talk to somone about the AASA Insurance, it is far far cheaper than CAMS with the same (and sometimes better) cover.

You can also become a member of Benalla Auto Club (a CAMS affiliated Club). BAC are the owners of Winton Raceway. You can join for $90 per year, your membership gives you free entry to all race meetings run at the track by Winton, this includes the V8's, but does not include the Austin 7 Historics, this is run by the Austin people or Superbikes as this is run by motorbike people, but you get access to all other events.
    Last edited by Big Trev; 16-11-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    edit: seems a pity that the only thing that would sway you to actually join and contribute to the club would be affiliation to a different club/organistation...
    CAMS can be very difficult to deal with if you are a small club, CAMS tends to focus on the big end of town, they appear to have forgotten their grass-roots, this is where AASA has picked up the mantle and ran with it.

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Trev
    I will throw my 2 bobs worth in here

You do NOT need a CAMS licence to participate in the above mentioed events, you can get a AASA Licence (AASA = Australian Autosport Alliance) that will allow you to compete in these event for half the cost of a CAMS one.

AASA is the Sanctioning body/Insurer for the Winton 6 Hour and every event at Winton except the V8's and Austin 7 Historics meeting in May. See http://australianautosportalliance.com/aasa/

Winton, Wakefield and Qld Raceway are pretty much dedicated AASA Tracks and Calder and AIR are dedicated AASA tracks.

BTW, consider AASA Insurance for your club next time you are looking, ring Winton and ask to talk to somone about the AASA Insurance, it is far far cheaper than CAMS with the same (and sometimes better) cover.

You can also become a member of Benalla Auto Club (a CAMS affiliated Club). BAC are the owners of Winton Raceway. You can join for $90 per year, your membership gives you free entry to all race meetings run at the track by Winton, this includes the V8's, but does not include the Austin 7 Historics, this is run by the Austin people or Superbikes as this is run by motorbike people, but you get access to all other events.
    Yeah, I've just been looking into the AASA Licence over the last few days, and it seems to be the perfect solution and it will allow me to become a member of Toymods without having to pay 2 memberships every year...

The AASA Licence is cheaper than the CAMS licence also!
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

toyotacarclub.net is cams affiliated and can issue CAMS licences. Membership is $40 a year.

Cheers,
    Terry
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfire
    toyotacarclub.net is cams affiliated and can issue CAMS licences. Membership is $40 a year.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Yes, there are many CAMS affiliated clubs, lets not sit here and name them all one by one...

This thread isn't asking what clubs are CAMS affiliated...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Junior Member Grease Monkey Camryman's Avatar

Well I was involved in getting the club incorporated in the early days. The problem that I could see at the time was CAMS was gear towards clubs that regular held sanctioned events. It didn't cover things like cruises, bbq days, social events that we need insurance on. Also at that time only a small minority wanted to hit the track on a very regular basis. A majority of members wanted a social car club, not a racing car club.

So it was deemed that we would just incorporate, get insurance via the street machines association and any member wanting to race could join Toysports which was CAMS affiliated.

Things might have changed quite considerably since then. I don't have the finer details about it anymore.

That's completly understandable, and this thread has answered most of my inquisitivity...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Our pleasure twentyeight - LOL

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

if you can afford a car, and especially afford to modify or race a car.. then you can afford $40 for membership to whatever.. thats like what? 8 big mac meals?

the BAC deal sounds awesome
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Yeah oldcorollas a lot of people join for that very reason, $90 for the year and free entry to all the events including the V8's, it would cost you more than $90 for just the 3 days of the V8's.

TA22 Junkie Backyard Mechanic Silly Rabbit's Avatar

entry fees to events are the big cost these days....joining a car club or getting basic competition licences are the cheap part........my brother is racing in the Shannons Classic next year at Phillip Island and the entry fee for that is $440!!......$40 or $50 bucks here or there for membership, licences is small change really
    “From the five years, 1968-73, if you were an F1 driver at that time, there was a very likely chance that you would have died.”
    - Jackie Stewart
    (now that's my type of racing )

Junior Member Domestic Engineer psychofox's Avatar

I'm a CAMS Steward, so I'll weigh into the "debate". Yes you need to be a member of a CAMS affiliated car club to get a competition licence (L1, L2S, PC, NC, etc.). Yes you need to produce this membership card with your licence at EVERY event you wish to enter that is run under a CAMS permit.

If Toymods decided that they wanted to run driver training days or motorkhanas, supersprints whatever, then there would be a reason to be CAMS affiliated as generally these events (esp. in NSW) are run under a CAMS permit. Otherwise, its a waste to affiliate as the cost/benefit for a couple of members to get competition licences is not really positive.
    Wollongong Sporting Car Club - Secretary
    Current Cars:
    2004 TW Magna VR-X AWD w/6G74 - Tow Car
    1989 AW11 MR2 w/4A-GE 20V - Track Car

Quote Originally Posted by psychofox
    If Toymods decided that they wanted to run driver training days or motorkhanas, supersprints whatever, then there would be a reason to be CAMS affiliated as generally these events (esp. in NSW) are run under a CAMS permit. Otherwise, its a waste to affiliate as the cost/benefit for a couple of members to get competition licences is not really positive.
    After looking at the pro's and con's, I am in agreeance with this now...

Thanks for all the info guys!
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit
    entry fees to events are the big cost these days....joining a car club or getting basic competition licences are the cheap part........my brother is racing in the Shannons Classic next year at Phillip Island and the entry fee for that is $440!!......$40 or $50 bucks here or there for membership, licences is small change really
    Makes the $200 or so for the 6 Hour reasonable doesn't it, but if you are playing at the bigger end of town you have to start forking out the dough - it ain't a cheap hobby is it, I don't think I know of a hobby that is quite as expensive, some are for the set up, but the on-going costs - PHEW!!!

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I think I might sticky this thread, it is top quality work. We've got a valid question and a bunch of very valid answers that cover a lot of important ground, goo work guys.