Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flex Pipe In Exhaust System... Needed?!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: Flex Pipe In Exhaust System... Needed?!

I would use one... and after reading some of the theory in this thread, I can see the benefits in a build of this nature.

I personally will be building dual exhaust systems for my SA23, one for street (2 3/4" stainless, quiet too) and the other for track (3" pipe exiting behind front wheel, no restrictions unless required due to engine dynamics... this will show up from testing), and the flex join will only be used for the street system, so just before the cat is a good location.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

My car has one and has so for the last 7 or so years. Couldn't see any reason not to have one other than cost. Even if it only adds a little benefit there is certainly no negatives to fitting one from what I can tell and others have noted.

My exhaust is solid mounted to the floor pan/chassis. Flex pipe is after the dump pipe but before the cat. All has worked fine for a long time now.

moustache master 1st year Apprentice

I would run one. albeit a short piece. the mesh covered ones are better, but you can get spiral-flex from any diesel truck supplier for next to nothing. it's the same thing, only not mesh covered, and not internally baffled.

I've cracked 2 exhausts on my 20v on the flex, and my engine mounts are A-OK, as is the TRD exhaust manifold.

unless you have solid mounts, i'd get flex.

better to be safe, than sorry they say.

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

Extractors usually crack because they are run without a hanger that ties them to the engine/gearbox unit.

Have a look at most standard Toyota exhaust manifolds and you will see massive dirty metal brackets holding it to the block.

This is far more important than the bit of flex, most of the rear drive Toyotas don't have the bit of flex that's found in all fwd cars.
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cri_ag's Avatar

put one in dude, the exhaust on my 4agte sprinter doesn't have one and it loves to leak, im fairly sure the vibration is whats doing it