Some of you might have seen this post from ToyotaCressida.net which I posted up not long ago before I sold the car to IN 05 NT. Thought it would be worthwhile sharing this knowledge with Toymods.

If anyone wants, I have higher resolution photos stored on my computer.

It has taken me this long to be bothered to change the shift solenoids, but yes this afternoon I actually got off my ass to change them haha.

Like you guys might know, Shift solenoids are not cheap, Peter Warren Toyota quoted $249 per solenoid, okay WTF? I ended up getting aftermarket ones, which came out to be 2x Shift Solenoids for $160... saving badly. Although aftermarket, they seem to be of decent build, further boasting they are made in the USA. The brand, ROSTRA.

Tools:
- 10mm Socket
- 16mm Socket
- Gloves

Parts:
- Shift Solenoids
- New Sump Gasket
- Transmission Oil Filter
- Dextron III Transmission oil

Step 0: Warm up the car, do not go for a thrashing, because if so your going to risk burning yourself when you attempt to change the shift solenoids.

Step 1: Jack up the car, making sure it's supported well so you do not KILL yourself fixing your PIMP Mobile

Step 2: Drain the oil from the transmission, easy 1x bolt.

Step 3: Take all of the bolts holding up the sump, there's quite a few of 10mm bolts holding it up, make sure you don't drop the sump because there's still heaps of oil sitting in the pan. After you drop the sump, the shift kit, solenoids, filter will be visible. You might as well change the oil filter at this stage, 3x bolts to remove the filter easy shit.

Step 4: Locate the 2x shift solenoids (it's the 2 that isn't black)

Step 5: Remove the solenoids, there's 1x 10mm bolt holding it, once the bolt is removed, just yank it out.

Step 6: Fit the solenoids reversed order as removed. You can see in the 1st photo the aftermarket solenoid, it has a detachable bracket, instead of welded on like the original one.

Step 7: Replace with new sump gasket, and bolt back sump

Step 8: Fill in new transmission oil, under no circumstance use the old oil, you might as well jump off a cliff if you did!

Step 9: Start up car warm it up, turn it off, and check dip stick, top up if needed.

Step 10: Go for a thrash, afterwards, top fuilds if required. Done! Too easy....

Easy, all up it took 1 hour to change on my own, hope this guide helps anyone about to change their shift solenoids.