Thread: 2TG fuel line problem!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Stock_22's Avatar

Default 2TG fuel line problem!

Okay, long story short, was going home from work the other night when i got in the car I could smell fuel. Had a look under the car to see fuel spewing out from under the engine. popped the hood and saw this:

there was no hose clamp on their when it was flowing out, I put that on to get home, however, this morning its still trickling out of that bunged up rubber pipe? Yesterday was the first time that this has happened. the top fuel line in the pic is the one that curves up and is blocked off, however I don't think it should have fuel running through it at all?
    So any advice on WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND HOW TO FIX IT would be appreciated.
    "He who speaks doesn't know, he who knows doesn't speak..."

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

Default Re: 2TG fuel line problem!

Are you sure it's coming from there? It's a fuel return line. Obviously you're just running a single feed with no return. Perhaps there was some fuel in there when you did your conversion. Replace hose and reblock.... Check the correct size rubber hose is being used to block that line too. Check hose clamps.
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

Certain its coming from there, you can see and feel it coming out from under the bolt and leaking down the pipe. Thanks Shelldrake + rep for you.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

If its leaking out that return line, then your tank has pressurised. Have you blocked off your charcoal canister?? If so, then you need to re-install it properly (I did this when I converted my RA23 to a weber carb yonks ago... put the charcoal canister back on, and all was well. You dont need vacuum going to it (though advantageous), but you do need it to be hooked into your fuel tank.

If you havent blocked it up, check the line for blockages (try blowing through it) as this will have the same effect. If it is blocked, get compressed air and blow it back through the CC line at as much pressure as possible. Take your fuel cap off when doing this.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 71TA22's Avatar

My flatlight GT does not have the fuel return line.

There is a connection on the fuel tank for one but it has a stopper plug on it.

As o_man said your fuel tank is pressurising. Either from heat and/or vehicle movement which forces fuel up the return line.

As well as the charcoal canister circuit check the fuel filler cap. The cap itself has a pressure release function.
    Mike
    71 TA22

My Car

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 71TA22
    My flatlight GT does not have the fuel return line.

There is a connection on the fuel tank for one but it has a stopper plug on it.

As o_man said your fuel tank is pressurising. Either from heat and/or vehicle movement which forces fuel up the return line.

As well as the charcoal canister circuit check the fuel filler cap. The cap itself has a pressure release function.
    So the early model celicas(with no charcoal cannister) rely on the cap to release the excess pressure?
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

No, they have a line that goes from the top of the tank, snakes around under the parcel shelf, then down the drivers side of the tank and to a one way valve then into the rear subframe rail.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 71TA22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    No, they have a line that goes from the top of the tank, snakes around under the parcel shelf, then down the drivers side of the tank and to a one way valve then into the rear subframe rail.
    Agreed for early facelift cars (after 7208) with fuel tank behind the rear seats

No such line on flat light cars. Fuel tank is under the trunk floor.

For GT models pressure either helps fuel up the single fuel line to the fuel pump and/or is vented through the fuel filler cap.
    Mike
    71 TA22

My Car

Okay, I've decided the easiest way to fix this is with a charcoal canister as suggested above, so before I rush down to the wreckers, does anyone know what charcoal canisters will fit (ie 18rc, 22r etc). Also, if anyone can get me pics on their setup so I know roughly what I'm doing it would be appreciated.
    Also, the valve on the bottom of the fuel filler cap could also be modified to work in releasing pressure.

If i drilled a small hole where the arrow is pointing to that would stop the valve from sealing allowing pressure to be released when its hot, but create a vacuum when it gets cold. Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks
    James

My suggestion is to get the original system working properly again. Blow compressed air back through the breather line (goes into the subframe rail) and give the fuel cap a pull down and thorough cleaning too.
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice quikestsilva's Avatar

My 2tg in my t18 always smells of petrol, although i cant see any leaks, im using the same facet electric fuel pump as urself and was thinking maybe its pumping too much petrol and fluding up? in saying that i didnt have any problems when it was tunned.
    T18 - 3tgte - project
    T18 - 3tc - daily