Thread: Crank Pulley Balance?

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Default Crank Pulley Balance?

Hi all

My 4A-GTE (Smallport FWD in AE92) has developed a bit of a squeak from the crank pulley area when I change gears. It also sometimes makes a rattle and light grinding noise after being driven for around 20 mins. I removed the PS/AC belt to see if it was that and there was no change.

I checked the Alternator/Water Pump belt and it seemed worn and a little loose. I tightened it up to spec and the squeak went away. During warmer weather the squeak came back so I figure the belt needs to be replaced.

What concerns me more however, is that listening closely the rattle/grind seems to very much come from the crank pulley. If you watch the crank pulley while the engine idles, it appears to vibrate as if it weren't centered. The belt (Alt. belt as above) also appears to vibrate (as if it were slack) on the side the feeds back up to the alternator.

Last week I removed the crank pulley to check if the timing gear was stuffed (common 4AGE problem) and it was fine. I put the pulley back on and torqued it up.

Apart from the lower timing gear and the oil pump there isn't anything else that could rattle on that side? Surely the crank isn't loose?

Could the crank pulley be horribly out of balance? It's stock but it looks like it's seen better days...
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Default Re: Crank Pulley Balance?

It's possible the rubber in it has failed, pretty common for it to happen on toyotas of around that age. When you put a timing light on it is the timing mark in the right place? That's an easy way to tell
    I am the sun

More or less it is. I'm not sure what rubber you speak of though, is that how the two rows are joined together? ...and what can I do about it?
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

There is a center ring that has the keyway slot in it and then theres the outer ring with the polybely grooves on it. The two peices are joined together with rubber so reduce vibration and the transfer of rattles etc. This rubber can wear out which is what Dale is saying.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Okay thanks guys, I didn't know how the pulley was assmbled. Is there anything I can do about it or am I stuck with trying to source an aftermarket one?