Thread: 3sgte rear main seal

Negative Reputation Domestic Engineer Howieau's Avatar

Default 3sgte rear main seal

Hey I put the rear main seal retainer on my 3sgte then tapped in the rear main seal until it was seated properly. I then realised that I had forgot the gasket for the rear main seal retainer where it meets the block so I undid the bolts for it and slowly pulled it off with the rear main seal still seated inside of it. Installed the gasket and then slid the rear main seal over it straight and it all looks straight and well. This was all in the space of like 5 minutes

What I want to know is are rear main seals like a one-time use only sort of deal. Is there some sort of sealing part that breaks in - the first time you put it on? In that because I already put it on then took it off, then reinstalled it again Im just not sure if it should be all good. It looks fine, the same as it did the first time I put it on though.

There is also that elastic coiled ring inside that somewhat pulls the inside of the seal around the crank, so I figure it should be a-ok but i wanted to get confirmation first being my first time installing a rear main seal, before I put my engine in and find out later that its no good. (First time engine build paranoia)

Cheers
    "There is a better way to do it, find it" -Thomas Edison

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 3sgte rear main seal

rearmain seals shouldnt be re used, but that's cos usually they are damaged on removal.

cos you only removed the retainer, there shouldn't be a problem, as long as the lip tension spring is still in place.

oh and make sure there's no groove on the crank from the old seal, if so it might be woth a speedy-sleeve to prevent oil leaks

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

how you going mate na wont mater corect way to do the job is to take the rear seal housing off and do it on a bench, and then bolt it back on. as long as you havent spun the crank in it (ie run the moter. turning by hand is fine to check valve clearance and timing belt instalation etc) and trying to use it twice because they do bed in. look at the lip of old one to new one you'll see where they wear
    but yeah benno's on to it as well as long as you havent dameged it will be fine

Negative Reputation Domestic Engineer Howieau's Avatar

Thanks lads.
    Its the small paranoias like this that really get to me with building my 1st engine. Im sure that something is fine but its such a big job to fix up if its not fine, so gotta find out before I go further ahead.

thnx again!
    "There is a better way to do it, find it" -Thomas Edison