Thread: 2JZ-GTE Kick Down Switch...also PWR-Normal vs Manual-Normal Switch!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default 2JZ-GTE Kick Down Switch...also PWR-Normal vs Manual-Normal Switch!

I can't find a reference to this in any 2jz wiring diagram...

Mos said in one of his posts that later model aristo 2jz-gte didn't have the kick down switch...

What happens if you don't wire the KD switch? Once one has the engine out of the car how does one determine if the engine was setup to use a kick down switch? (I didn't get the engine in a front cut...)

Answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by PlacentaJuan
    The gearbox has limited kickdown ability without the switch connected, and this will occur at part throttle (depending on weather the 'pwr' button is on or off: off = about 60% throttle, on = about 30% throttle) and ONLY kickdown from 4th to 3rd gear. at lower speeds the car wont even kick down into 2nd gear.

EPC lists two different part numbers for 2JZ-GTE Aristo ECU's...what does the 'KD' pin on the later model ECU does (the ECU that comes in the car that doesn't have a KD switch)? Anyone know?

JZS147 ECU
    89661-30560 [9110-9308]
    89661-30870 [9308-9708]

This is one of many ECU pin questions I have as I'm slowly working my way though identify the use / function of each ECU pin

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Last edited by wilbo666; 08-10-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZ-GTE Kick Down Switch...

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    What happens if you don't wire the KD switch?
    If it's anything like my Century, the car was still run/shift fine if you don't use the kickdown switch, it just won't hold the gears as long as you might like. Holding the kickdown switch tells the ECU to use the lowest gear possible no matter what; otherwise it relies on its internal shift maps.

I'd suggest that driving it will tell you whether or not a kickdown switch is required.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

With my 1UZ, as long as POWER is on the kickdown is instant and drops as far back as possible.

I suppose the kickdown switch is like a momentary power button, although it didn't hold out till redline like power does.

EDIT: Never hooked up the kickdown switch in the Cressida, after driving it never saw the requirement for it.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    With my 1UZ, as long as POWER is on the kickdown is instant and drops as far back as possible.

I suppose the kickdown switch is like a momentary power button, although it didn't hold out till redline like power does.

EDIT: Never hooked up the kickdown switch in the Cressida, after driving it never saw the requirement for it.
    Hmm interesting!

Another question that I has is that of the 'Manual' pin...on 99% of diagrams it is labeled as 'Manual" with a corresponding "Manual Indicator" pin....

On the ECU's that have M and MI pins there isn't a P or PWR (for power / eccon) mode...

What is the deal? Is 'Manual" really just PWR/ECC? But in that case why is there a "Manual Indicator" pin from the ECU...? That wouldn't make sense...

And which does my ECU have? Pretty sure JZS147 has a PWR/ECCO switch so I'm guessing that ...

I think I need to track down the peeps that I know that have aristos!

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Last edited by wilbo666; 08-10-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 2JZ-GTE Kick Down Switch...also PWR-Normal vs Manual-Normal Switch!

We need an aristo to check a few things like this , if you find someone down in melb and want a qualified person to check one out let me know. I need one wire of the fan ecu also .
    Dave

User Conversion King

hello

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    And that is great, don't get me wrong... but why does the ECU terminal image have M and MI pins?

Dave, I've got at least two mates up here that have Aristos so I'll try and get a chance to check it out one day, what fan wire are you after? I might be able to have a look for it at the same time...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

i think it would be a lot more fun to go to lance's place and:
    drink his home brew
    pull the dash apart of his aristo to trace wires
    drink more beer
    leave suddenly and let lance re-assemble his dash while half-cut.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Grease Monkey BMWTurbo's Avatar

I've found that when fitting the Supra ECU for a wired up Aristo ecu/loom that the 'PWR' button does bugger all now...

I haven't bothered trying to delve into it any further though.

Michael at MV Automatics knew this would be the case also, so maybe he can shed some light on it

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Yes as the supra ecu is a diff setup for the man /pwr thing . the supra has a man button where the aristo has norm and pwr. wilbo its the yellow wire going to the fan ecu , i suspect its a/c on .
    Dave